General Election 2024

Just now, Clangers said:

Just woken up, I am presuming that Sweeney has admitted they have no mandate to do anything but continue to run a very poor local government!

Posted (edited)

Just 6 seats In Scotland left to declare.

Hands up - like many I did not see this kind of drubbing - expected the SNP to lose seats but not on the scale they have.

There's a complex bunch of reasons they've lost - some within their control (the fraud investigation, the focus on peripheral issues and green shite, the ineffectual keadership of Yusaf and Swinney, and generally pisspoor campaigning) and other issues outwith their control (the momentum of Labour, the collapse of the Tory vote and the disproportionate time given to that c**t Farage). 

The SNP need to step back and take a reality check.  Get away from the control freakery that was endemic under the Murrels, focus on the day-to-day issues that matter but still keeping independence at the forefront.  They need to give voters a reason for voting for them, that voting SNP can make a difference.

They can't just rely on Labour fucking things up (even if I do think they will) - there needs to be a clear strategy that enthuses voters.

I just worry that with Swinney at the helm none if these things will happen and the same mistakes will happen again.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

I’m quite glad that the exit poll prediction of Tory gains in Scotland doesn’t seem to have materialised. It was always an odd call but still a bit of a worry.

*Wakes up and checks news.*

Tories wiped off the face off the planet.  Good. 

SNP Yer-da cybernats crying into their cornflakes.   Good.

Douglas Ross and Rees-Mogg gone.  Effing Brilliant.

Red tories everywhere delighted.  Terrible.

Farage and his pals.  Concerning but hopefully a protest vote.  

Anything else?

Posted (edited)

Labour with 35% share of the vote on a 60% turnout.

21% of voters voting for a landslide.

There's the warning if Reform manage to increase their share of the vote if (or rather when) Labour become unpopular.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Merseyside remaining a Labour clean-sweep, which is the best option we have down here.  Hopefully, Reform will remain an outlet only for a lot of angry folk and not get to actually do anything harmful.  Farage getting even more airtime and Jeremy Hunt staying in place are both disappointing.  However, some unpleasant characters getting binned is pleasing.

3 minutes ago, kent_don said:

Truss currently posted missing at her count. With her likely losing. 

That’d be a Portillo moment.  Except without the redemption of trains. 

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Labour with 35% share of the vote on a 60% turnout.

21% of voters voting for a landslide.

There's the warning if Reform manage to increase their share of the vote if (ir rather when) Labour become unpopular.

I'm generally pro-PR but glad one of the many things Labour won't do is introduce it. Because at this juncture in history it would introduce more Faragists to parliament.

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Truss isn't even at her own count. Pinched Rishi's flight to California

'Gissa job Dahnald. I'm good on cheese and pork.'

Just now, KirkieRR said:

I'm generally pro-PR but glad one of the many things Labour won't do is introduce it. Because at this juncture in history it would introduce more Faragists to parliament.

And FPTP would have far many more if they increase their vote.

Posted (edited)

Radio 4 with Jess Phillips is not the first thing I wanted to hear.  Truss result coming through now.  Gone.  Scowling.  Brilliant.  

Edited by Savage Henry