Nirvana songs

Posted (edited)

1. Negative Creep

2. Territorial Pissings

3. Sifting 

4. Rape Me

5. School

Bleach is their best album BTW. Kurt would be turning in his grave at the shite Dave Grohl has been churning out since his demise. 

Edited by Jives Miguel

1. Milk It
  2. Scentless Apprentice
  3. In Bloom
  4. Lithium
  5. Dive

Every mention of Nirvana attracts someone who'll claim that it all went downhill after Bleach and the masses discovered them, so it's good to get that out of the way early. The "good" thing about popular musicians dying young is that their fans are saved the inevitable sight of them becoming everything they'd been perceived not to be; I'm not sure what that would have involved with Cobain as he was something of a blank, but being a die-hard Trump supporter and writing insufferable jingles for multinationals with appalling human rights records would definitely have figured into it somewhere.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:
  1. Milk It
  2. Scentless Apprentice
  3. In Bloom
  4. Lithium
  5. Dive

Every mention of Nirvana attracts someone who'll claim that it all went downhill after Bleach and the masses discovered them, so it's good to get that out of the way early. 

Eh? What have I written that suggests that. 😂 

I prefer Bleach because it has a far stronger sludge metal influence than the later albums. That's all. Nothing to do with being a hipster. 

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

Eh? What have I written that suggests that. 😂 

I prefer Bleach because it has a far stronger sludge metal influence than the later albums. That's all. Nothing to do with being a hipster. 

Well now you've ruined it. They'll be along presently.

Well, I'm going to anyway.

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit

2. Territorial Pissings

3. Lithium

4. Breed

5. The Man Who Sold The World (acoustic)

The latter would be a good contender for a list of covers that are better than the original. It's better than the cover of the original, too. With apologies to the Lulu Army.

Can't really rank them, but top five

All Apologies

Mexican Seafood

Sliver

Son of a Gun (yes, I know it's not a Nirvana song)

About a Girl

Said this before (In the controversial opinions thread iirc) but I've always felt "Nevermind" is by far and away the weakest of the three studio albums, and massively inferior to the Incesticide comp album. It just has that one, massive radio-friendly hit on it, and is the "seminal" album for most people, but I think it's musically mediocre, enormously overplayed, and couldn't care less if I never hear it again.

36 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would it be terribly uncool to admit that I quite like "Smells Like Teen Spriit", their most well-known ditty?

ssshhh this is the thread where 'real fans' discuss their favourites whilst ignoring one of the best songs in history as it makes them feel slightly superior.

Smells Like Teen Spirit would make the top ten. The second half of Nevermind is mediocre and they stuffed all the good stuff on Side A (unsurprising for the time). Incesticide is almost completely shite, from what I remember. Their Bowie cover is much worse than either his or Lulu's versions.

While we're being controversial, I'm sure we could all do a top five bands labelled Grunge who had better songs/albums than Nirvana without too much difficulty.

I've just got my 14 year old into Nevermind, she loves it and doesn't even bother too much about Smells like Teen Spirit. I'm ashamed to say I haven't giving the other stuff a proper listen but I can see us giving Bleach a listen on the drive home from 'up norff' after the long weekend

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

While we're being controversial, I'm sure we could all do a top five bands labelled Grunge who had better songs/albums than Nirvana without too much difficulty.

Not for me Clive.

Alice In Chains number one for me, but there's a big gap from Nirvana to Soundgarden and then a gulf to Pearl Jam and whatever the hell might come after that. 

3 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

ssshhh this is the thread where 'real fans' discuss their favourites whilst ignoring one of the best songs in history as it makes them feel slightly superior.

Nonsense. You can express an opinion on a phenomenon that you lived right through that differs from consensus. It's not about feeling superior, and I wouldn't even necessarily describe myself as a "fan" in the first place. Liked the first album, even liked Nevermind when it was being played 24/7 for months on end, but over time it wore on me to the point that I genuinely dislike hearing it now, and as soon as Incesticide appeared I was just glad there was some more Nirvana other than NM for the fanatics to play.

Bit of a weird notion anyway, that people like different things to other people for the purpose of feeling superior.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Smells Like Teen Spirit would make the top ten. The second half of Nevermind is mediocre and they stuffed all the good stuff on Side A (unsurprising for the time). Incesticide is almost completely shite, from what I remember. Their Bowie cover is much worse than either his or Lulu's versions.

There is a lot of filler and fluff on Incesticide, but the reason I like it is a lot of the stuff isn't engineered and produced into oblivion the way the NM material was. On the aforementioned "son of a gun", Kurt's guitar sound is pretty much exactly what you hear if you stick a Mustang-type guitar into a Boss distortion, and then into a Fender amp, i.e. it sounds exactly like what the kids doing exactly the same thing at that time sounded like. It's raw, natural, and pleasingly pure and honest.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not for me, in fact I think the only other grunge band I listen to even semi-regularly would be Hole.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Bleach is their best album BTW. Kurt would be turning in his grave at the shite Dave Grohl has been churning out since his demise. 

I agree with this, with the exception of the first Foo's album, which is basically a Grohl solo-project from the point when Kurt was still on the go and had heard a lot of it anyway.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Kinda yes and kinda no. I will die on the hill that 'Touch Me I'm Sick' would have been a bigger song than Teen Spirit had Sub Pop had any money to try and promote it at the time. 

Has to be room for guitarless Kurt's scream during the encore of Drain You on Nulle Part Ailleurs on French telly.

The set is nice snapshopt in time, just before their demise, playing it fairly straight, while dressed as waiters and introduced by none other than Antione de Caunes of Eurotrash.

34 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not for me, in fact I think the only other grunge band I listen to even semi-regularly would be Hole.

Mrs Khaki is a Hole superfan (stop sniggering at the back). My memories of them are vague and hazy, and I can't say I ever really formed an opinion one way or the other. She also regularly subjects me to L7 when I'm hammered, and it's like nails down a board. There was one particularly contentious evening she nearly threw me out of her gaff for complaining about "sounds like an even more shite Megadeth with shite female vocals over the top of it". 😐