Nirvana songs

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Mrs Khaki is a Hole superfan (stop sniggering at the back). My memories of them are vague and hazy, and I can't say I ever really formed an opinion one way or the other. She also regularly subjects me to L7 when I'm hammered, and it's like nails down a board. There was one particularly contentious evening she nearly threw me out of her gaff for complaining about "sounds like an even more shite Megadeth with shite female vocals over the top of it". 😐

L7 had better songs/albums (overall) than Nirvana. Send your missus over here.

Never thought much of Hole though. Babes in Toyland were better.

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nonsense. You can express an opinion on a phenomenon that you lived right through that differs from consensus. It's not about feeling superior, and I wouldn't even necessarily describe myself as a "fan" in the first place. Liked the first album, even liked Nevermind when it was being played 24/7 for months on end, but over time it wore on me to the point that I genuinely dislike hearing it now, and as soon as Incesticide appeared I was just glad there was some more Nirvana other than NM for the fanatics to play.

Bit of a weird notion anyway, that people like different things to other people for the purpose of feeling superior.

No need to justify it's a well known phenomena in Uber Fans of bands where they dismiss there greatest works if other people like it too. I suffer from it myself when it comes to Radiohead, Alex Harvey and Babybird. There is a name for it and basically you can't see the wood for the trees. Scroobius Pip covers it well in his tune Thou shalt always..........kill'

14 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

No need to justify it's a well known phenomena in Uber Fans of bands where they dismiss there greatest works if other people like it too. I suffer from it myself when it comes to Radiohead, Alex Harvey and Babybird. There is a name for it and basically you can't see the wood for the trees. Scroobius Pip covers it well in his tune Thou shalt always..........kill'

I see a new thread coming... Popular albums that you really like but hate as it got over-played. I was the same with Muse's Origin of Symmetry, refused to listen to it for years even though it was a big part of my younger days

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Smells Like Teen Spirit would make the top ten. The second half of Nevermind is mediocre and they stuffed all the good stuff on Side A (unsurprising for the time). Incesticide is almost completely shite, from what I remember. Their Bowie cover is much worse than either his or Lulu's versions.

While we're being controversial, I'm sure we could all do a top five bands labelled Grunge who had better songs/albums than Nirvana without too much difficulty.

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not for me, in fact I think the only other grunge band I listen to even semi-regularly would be Hole.

There's no such thing as grunge.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There's no such thing as grunge.

I know; that's why I specified "labelled Grunge". It amounted to pretty much any guitar band who didn't dress up, which isn't much of a genre.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I see a new thread coming... Popular albums that you really like but hate as it got over-played. I was the same with Muse's Origin of Symmetry, refused to listen to it for years even though it was a big part of my younger days

Michael Jackson's Bad for me. I loved it as a tween, but haven't listened to it since and I think I'd rather have teeth pulled.

1) Breed
2) Love Buzz (technically not a Nirvana song)
3) Serve the Serevants
4) Opinion
5) About a Girl

Lithium

Sliver

About a Girl (mtv unplugged version)

Heart Shaped Box

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Unashamed commercial hoor that I am.

Shout out to Malibu by Hole too as a Kurt tangent

• 2 weeks later...

I was listening to the fabled Glasgow University gig the other night, where they were definitely in the mood.

One of our number was a fresher there that year, and I remember this gig being talked about in the weeks leading up to it. I was in the house missing another of life's opportunities.

On 24/05/2024 at 22:05, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would it be terribly uncool to admit that I quite like "Smells Like Teen Spriit", their most well-known ditty?

Smells Like Teen Spirit is one of the greatest songs ever written. I listen to it only once a year because I’m terrified to overplay it. I can’t even credibly describe why I love it so much - it makes me elated, depressed, angry, joyful, all at the same time. It takes me somewhere that was a happier time, but also a more angst-ridden time. It’s the epitome of bittersweet. It makes me miss a past that I hope to never relive. It’s a scream of sanity in a world of fucking nonsense.

I really miss Kurt Cobain, I think the world is a poorer place now he’s gone. 

• 4 weeks later...