Broxburn Athletic FC

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

Bell will do well for Broxburn. He's got good experience & surprised he dropped to Glen's from the leagues proper.

Kyle joined the Glens from East Fife. He was doing well with us if not established but had a really bad injury, was out for about a year and dropped out of the picture.

Last preseason game today ended in a 1-0 defeat away to Dundee North End. 

It was actually a pretty enjoyable game. Really good and competitive with quite a few fiesty challenges flying in from both sides. 2nd half in particular had a bit of a cup tie feel to it.

And it is possibly the first "friendly" match I've ever been to where the referee has lost control. Some wild decisions and Broxburn ended with 10 men following two yellows for Gary Brass... not sure if that will carry over into the league? 

Also looks like we have Bryan Mwangi back on loan for this season and he looked quite sharp, playing full 90 mins.

I gather North End have had almost a full squad rebuild... a lot of players poached after last seasons title win. Despite this, they still looked to be a very good side. Defensively gave nothing away and some good interlinking play going forward. They'll do well again this season. 

50 minutes ago, Rosey1889 said:

Top 6 for Broxburn aim?

Top 6 would be nice, but it's tough to call given the wide standard difference between top and bottom in the Lowland League. I think this season is all about finding our level in there. Looking at last two teams moving up, Tranent and Linlithgow, they finished 5th and 8th in debut season... I know Linlithgow had an injury nightmare, but I'd think that's the minimum to aim for and then look to build on that going forward. 

5 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Last preseason game today ended in a 1-0 defeat away to Dundee North End. 

It was actually a pretty enjoyable game. Really good and competitive with quite a few fiesty challenges flying in from both sides. 2nd half in particular had a bit of a cup tie feel to it.

And it is possibly the first "friendly" match I've ever been to where the referee has lost control. Some wild decisions and Broxburn ended with 10 men following two yellows for Gary Brass... not sure if that will carry over into the league? 

Also looks like we have Bryan Mwangi back on loan for this season and he looked quite sharp, playing full 90 mins.

I gather North End have had almost a full squad rebuild... a lot of players poached after last seasons title win. Despite this, they still looked to be a very good side. Defensively gave nothing away and some good interlinking play going forward. They'll do well again this season. 

I think it might- Meadowbank had to do without Zola Grant for the start of the season after he banjoed Gordon Bailey in a pre-season friendly at Newtongrange! 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I think it might- Meadowbank had to do without Zola Grant for the start of the season after he banjoed Gordon Bailey in a pre-season friendly at Newtongrange! 

Well... bugger! So a likely wee reshuffle needed into game 1!

I think if Broxburn end up in the top half of the Lowland League, it will be a good campaign. Over the last few years the poorer teams have been replaced so now with the exception of the odd one or two games will be very competitive.

In addition, Broxburn were nowhere near as convincing league winners as Lithgae the year before. They were very good at getting points from losing positions but that will be much harder this season. 

Going to be an interesting season and hope Broxburn get off to a good start 🤞

my hope is to stay clear of the relegation zone and a cup win. 1988 was our last cup win so I hope we don't repeat putting our weakened teams, getting knocked out and really go for it this year.

On 23/07/2024 at 07:55, albynpark said:

my hope is to stay clear of the relegation zone and a cup win. 1988 was our last cup win so I hope we don't repeat putting our weakened teams, getting knocked out and really go for it this year.

Yeah I'd go with that too... no guarantee we'd have won them, but we certainly didn't take either the Qualifying Cup or the League Cup as seriously as we should have to have a go at it.

Didn't see Broxburn at all last season but I think if you look at Linlithgow, they finished around mid-table and that would be a decent end result for you.  Never really challenged for the top positions and never in any bother below mid table.

I'll try and get along to a few this season since it's local.

Edited by Burnieman

Cracking result for our first match in the Lowland League. 

A good solid 3-1 over Broomhill and while it was a competitive match, Broxburn were mostly in control. 3 well worked and well taken goals. We started 2nd half quite slowly and that's where we lost the goal, but other than that it was a very good performance. 

Nice to get the new season off to a winning start.

Thought the game was pretty scrappy to be honest and there wasn't a lot between either side, Broxburn were the more clinical in the final third and that was the difference in the end.

Broxburn will need to improve if they want to trouble the top half of the table, Broomhill have cleary built a new side but Diamond has a job on his hands to keep them clear of the bottom spots (I wish he would just STFU though, if he needs to coach his team that much from the sidelines then he's not doing his job right during the week).

Decent crowd, 300+ I reckon, and the sun was oot.

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Thought the game was pretty scrappy to be honest and there wasn't a lot between either side, Broxburn were the more clinical in the final third and that was the difference in the end.

Broxburn will need to improve if they want to trouble the top half of the table, Broomhill have cleary built a new side but Diamond has a job on his hands to keep them clear of the bottom spots (I wish he would just STFU though, if he needs to coach his team that much from the sidelines then he's not doing his job right during the week).

On one hand you are saying he has built a new side, and on the other you don’t want him to coach them? Surely he has to get across the way he wants them to play in a game situation, which is very different from a training session??

5 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

On one hand you are saying he has built a new side, and on the other you don’t want him to coach them? Surely he has to get across the way he wants them to play in a game situation, which is very different from a training session??

If you were actually at the game sitting behind the away dugout, you'd understand.   A coach who needs to constantly tell his players what to do, where to stand, who to mark is a coach who isn't getting his point across during the week.   He was a talking coaching manual.

They're a new side, but they weren't just thrown together last week.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Without doubt the fixture secretary has done us a favour as that was probably the perfect opening match for us.

Home against an "established" LL side (in name only) - a side that have had a big turnover of players. So it's worked to get us a win and importantly, get a little confidence from that first competitive match of the season. Got 3 very good goals, the side mostly consisted of players from last season, so slowly able to integrate new signings into the match squads.

It's all worked out really well for us and most importantly, started the season with a pretty solid win. As far as opening day performances go, I'll have that.

Oh... and first half I was standing behind Diamond... certainly very animated!

And just seen on the Broxburn Facebook page, crowd was 385 - pretty decent for the opening day. Probably helped by the weather, but hopefully numbers keep up.

Edited by Jordi1977

7 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Without doubt the fixture secretary has done us a favour as that was probably the perfect opening match for us.

Home against an "established" LL side (in name only) - a side that have had a big turnover of players. So it's worked to get us a win and importantly, get a little confidence from that first competitive match of the season. Got 3 very good goals, the side mostly consisted of players from last season, so slowly able to integrate new signings into the match squads.

It's all worked out really well for us and most importantly, started the season with a pretty solid win. As far as opening day performances go, I'll have that.

Oh... and first half I was standing behind Diamond... certainly very animated!

Yeah it was a good opener for you, you're next three league games will be tough and a good indicator of where you are.

Pep Diamond likes the sound of his own voice.

2 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

And just seen on the Broxburn Facebook page, crowd was 385 - pretty decent for the opening day. Probably helped by the weather, but hopefully numbers keep up.

That's very good.  I had a rough estimate of around 320 but couldn't really see how many were down the dugout side to be sure.

One of the better things about having a home match to start the season was getting a match programme and getting to see how this seasons squad is shaping up... incoming and outgoing. 

Outgoing...

Shaun Donoghue. No real surprise, found game time hard to get and very much been 2nd choice without much of a look at action last couple of seasons! Great in penalty shootouts and a very accomplished goalie that will improve with regular games. Don't know if he's found a new club yet, but he'll be a very decent signing for someone just a little further down the pyramid. 

Greg Binnie. Been unlucky with injuries and was always struggling to get a game behind Brass, Douglas and Downie. Realistically, they were 3 of the top strikers in the EoSL, so some effort to get in ahead of them. He's one that if he can stay fit, will probably do a decent job for someone if he gets regular games.

Ben Davidson. Midfield was one of our strongest positions last season with a lot of competition. We possibly were a bit over staffed there, especially with a couple of new signings coming in, but there won't be too many at this level that are clearly better than Davidson. Another that can be a very good signing for someone in the EoSL Premier or a LL side if they need numbers. 

Jordan Wright. Was a great defender, but has lost most of the last 2 years to injury and luck has just not been on his side in that regard. Get him fit, keep him fit, there is probably a team captain in there for someone. 

Steven Anderson. Age and possibly the bad injury picked up at end of last season has probably seen him retire. Was a fantastic signing for 2nd half of last season and while his legs maybe didn't have the pace of some younger lads, I don't think he lost a header since he arrived and won every challenge he went in for.

Callum Bremner. Looks to have just been transfered to Whitburn last week. Another that I'm quite surprised to see go, but it was an area we have a lot of players. Didn't end the season as well as he started it, but there is a good wee player in there and will do a cracking job for Whitburn. 

Jack Sayers. And it seems young Jack is on his way back to Armadale where he spent most of last season on loan. I thought he was looking pretty good in preseason... and for such a skinny rake had developed a pretty effective long throw. Maybe the step up to Lowland League for us is just a year too early for him in terms of development. Armadale obviously liked what they saw, so he should slot back into them and do well. They actually went a little off the boil around the time he was recalled... coincidence?

Incoming...

Previously announced were Andy Rodden, Kyle Bell and Fionn Mcleod-Kay. Rodden and Bell have both featured a lot in preseason and in the opening league fixture where Rodden got an assist. Both look to be signed to be right into the first team and we really needed a natural left back. Not seen as much of Mcleod-Kay as yet, but seems to be here to provide a "plan B" for attacking options.

Jonathan Page - will be the direct replacement for Anderson, experienced, been full time and round the block and from what I've seen so far, one of these defenders that is always talking (loudly enough to be heard at the top of grass embankment at opposite side of ground!)

James Russell - for me, excellent signing. Was part of that very good Stirling Uni side from a couple of seasons back, which gives him good LL experience and has some engine on him. Think he'll luck start the season on the bench as we have a pretty established starting midfield, but can see him adding value and forcing his way into the starting line up.

Jordan Pettigrew - don't know much about him, but new backup keeper to cover for Bob Watt and to pressure him for starting position. He looks like a pretty big goalkeeping sized unit in the games he's played and not any mistakes despite no clean sheets. Might get a run out in some of the smaller cup ties to get a better look at him.

Luke Morris - his signing was announced on social media a while back... and then removed. Can only assume connected to the new registration system in some way! In from Stirling Uni, but not a name I'm familiar with from their side. Came off the bench in our friendly with St Andrews and had one moment of tremendous skill that just sat a St Andrews defender right down as he twisted him back and forward. So that was enjoyable and hopefully a snippet of what to expect!

Bryan Mwangi - young lad that was on loan from Dundee United 2nd half of last season. Not too sure of his signing status, but made an appearance in our friendly against Dundee North End and looked pretty sharp. Possibly another loan move?

Godwin Kangi-Soukpe - another I'm not sure of the status off... had a run out in our game against Stirling Albion and I've seen him hanging around the ground at a few other matches. Was/is a Stirling Albion player... was on loan at Bo'ness Athletic last season where he single handedly tore us apart for about 75 minutes... then got subbed off and we beat them! Really quick feet and would be an excellent signing whether permanent or on loan. Of course, if Stirling Albion are offloading him in some way, they must have a seriously impressive front 3!

Edited by Jordi1977
Senior moment, getting my Callums mixed up!

Sorry folks but had a look through the thread and cannot find anything but what is the normal attendance for Broxburn during last season and do we think it will be a sizable higher attendance this season.  Genuinely looking forward to popping across and visiting Broxburn at home this season in the Lowland league

Great win for first league game so all the best to Broxburn for this season

47 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Sorry folks but had a look through the thread and cannot find anything but what is the normal attendance for Broxburn during last season and do we think it will be a sizable higher attendance this season.  Genuinely looking forward to popping across and visiting Broxburn at home this season in the Lowland league

Great win for first league game so all the best to Broxburn for this season

Just had a look and our average was around 216 for league matches last season... but clearly being a town of glory hunters, the attendance went up quite a bit from start to end of season!

Season before was a bit of a nightmare, team was rebuilt and no one expected too much... so started off just over the 100 mark, but as the season went on, we ended with usually comfortably over 300 - which is kinda in line with this past Saturdays attendance. A couple of games had pretty big spikes too when it was playoffs, cup ties and closing in on title... so appetite is there for good crowds.

If results remain decent, no reason we can't stay over the 300 mark... and would expect a boost to that from the local derby's and ex SPFL sides.