Broxburn Athletic FC

20 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Just had a look and our average was around 216 for league matches last season... but clearly being a town of glory hunters, the attendance went up quite a bit from start to end of season!

The 216 numbers comes from a 3 year average using the headcounts that have been gathered.

264 last year which was a decent jump from the previous couple of years. Some gloryhunting no doubt involved. Can see 300+ as an average in the Lowland this season. Enough nearby teams with strong supports, novelty factor will balance out those with weaker supports or greater travel.

2023-24: 264

image.png.5645c61ed63be0647c6f07415bfa7b87.png

2022-23: 195

2021-22: 192

29 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The 216 numbers comes from a 3 year average using the headcounts that have been gathered.

264 last year which was a decent jump from the previous couple of years. Some gloryhunting no doubt involved. Can see 300+ as an average in the Lowland this season. Enough nearby teams with strong supports, novelty factor will balance out those with weaker supports or greater travel.

2023-24: 264

image.png.5645c61ed63be0647c6f07415bfa7b87.png

2022-23: 195

2021-22: 192

I'm actually quite surprised how healthy the previous seasons numbers are. There were games where it looked pretty quiet. Suspect the average might be up a bit almost single handedly thanks to a Linlithgow derby! Which actually makes last seasons then seen even better as we didn't have our usual bumper crowd from them!

5 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

I'm actually quite surprised how healthy the previous seasons numbers are. There were games where it looked pretty quiet. Suspect the average might be up a bit almost single handedly thanks to a Linlithgow derby! Which actually makes last seasons then seen even better as we didn't have our usual bumper crowd from them!

Should help out. Last time in the EoS Premier it was down as 500. Certainly happy to be playing against BU again. The two best attended games last season in the Lowland.

1,086 Linlithgow Rose v. Bo'ness United

906 Bo'ness United v. Linlithgow Rose

8 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

One of the better things about having a home match to start the season was getting a match programme and getting to see how this seasons squad is shaping up... incoming and outgoing. 

Outgoing...

Callum Heath. Looks to have just been transfered to Whitburn last week. Another that I'm quite surprised to see go, but it was an area we have a lot of players. Didn't end the season as well as he started it, but there is a good wee player in there and will do a cracking job for Whitburn. 

Callum came off the bench along with Darren Downie with a few minutes to go.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Callum came off the bench along with Darren Downie with a few minutes to go.

Indeed he did... and full marks for spotting what was clearly a deliberate mistake just to ensure everyone is paying attention...

I meant Callum Bremner... edited!

A nice victory in the Qualifying Cup tonight - 5-0 in the local derby with Blackburn United. 

Comfortably through to the next round, a bit of squad rotation and sharing around the goals a bit.

Turned into about as comfortable a game as you can get without working too hard. The first helf goals, while well taken, were not helped by poor defending and goalkeeping. Not sure if Blackburn also rested a number of players for this one, but there was quite a difference between the two sides tonight.

13 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

A nice victory in the Qualifying Cup tonight - 5-0 in the local derby with Blackburn United. 

Comfortably through to the next round, a bit of squad rotation and sharing around the goals a bit.

Turned into about as comfortable a game as you can get without working too hard. The first helf goals, while well taken, were not helped by poor defending and goalkeeping. Not sure if Blackburn also rested a number of players for this one, but there was quite a difference between the two sides tonight.

I guess there's only so many Darren Downie's, Callum Heath's, Marcus Millar's and Jack Sayer's you can lose before it starts to bite, tough for Blackburn to replace those players.

6 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I guess there's only so many Darren Downie's, Callum Heath's, Marcus Millar's and Jack Sayer's you can lose before it starts to bite, tough for Blackburn to replace those players.

Yeah that's a fair shout. Possibly a few years of losing players has just caught up. Add just all of these mentioned back in and it's the base of a good squad!

3 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Yeah that's a fair shout. Possibly a few years of losing players has just caught up. Add just all of these mentioned back in and it's the base of a good squad!

Add in Laurie Devine away to Linlithgow, Daryl Meikle/Scott Richards being long term injured (I think).  A lot of quality has been lost over the last few seasons and it can't always be replaced.   I think they may be going down the route of promoting more of the U20's although I've been away from the club for over a year so not too sure.  Hope it works out.

11 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Add in Laurie Devine away to Linlithgow, Daryl Meikle/Scott Richards being long term injured (I think).  A lot of quality has been lost over the last few seasons and it can't always be replaced.   I think they may be going down the route of promoting more of the U20's although I've been away from the club for over a year so not too sure.  Hope it works out.

That is quite a roll call of Premier standard players all gone.

Hopefully the U20s adventure works and end up with a few decent players. Always happy for us to beat Blackburn, but do like to see the local sides doing well.

On 31/07/2024 at 21:29, Burnieman said:

Devine hatrick today 

Edited by lithgierose

24 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Well... looks like I picked the right game to miss. Looks and sounds like a painful one today!

Broxburn carried a threat and were good from set pieces, but their defensive line was too high in the first half and got killed by Rose's pace up front, and they were outplayed in the middle for long spells. Many of Rose's goals were really excellent so it probably wasn't a typical game. Broxburn brought a good support and I'm sure they'll do fine this season. 

Having seen both legs as Broxburn strolled past Dalbeattie and with Linlithgow losing the opener last week at Berwick I was expecting a tight game today.

Far from it as Linlithgow blew Broxburn away with some cracking goals.

I’m sure Broxburn will be fine as there is still some dross at the lower end of the lowland league but on todays showing they are a good bit off the top end teams. 

Linlithgow attacking pace upfront destroyed us today. They chased every ball and our defenders, apart from Jonathan Page, couldn't cope. A little rethink on tactics when playing against higher level opposition is all that's required. It should of been spotted 10 minutes into the game that we where struggling but we'll take it on the chin and the experience will make us better. 

What's most disappointing is... last time we were in same league as Linlithgow, they absolutely horsed us twice. And both times without breaking much sweat! Since then they have lost their best player, Broxburn have been rebuilt and hugely improved... yet when it came to it, it looks like the gap between sides hasn't closed. I was hoping it would at least be close.

It's a nice little reality check for the start of the season.

1 hour ago, albynpark said:

Linlithgow attacking pace upfront destroyed us today. They chased every ball and our defenders, apart from Jonathan Page, couldn't cope. 

A lot of the top LL teams play like that, it's all about pace and movement and closing teams down.  From what I saw last week, Broxburn have a way to go yet and you may need a few signings just to be in and around the middle of the pack.

10 hours ago, Burnieman said:

A lot of the top LL teams play like that, it's all about pace and movement and closing teams down. 

Spot on.  It is why the B teams do well in the league as it suits the 19/20 year olds who can run about for 90+ minutes. 

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Spot on.  It is why the B teams do well in the league as it suits the 19/20 year olds who can run about for 90+ minutes. 

Being full time professionals also helps.