British Values

I see that Farage was stirring the pot about "British values" yesterday.  Sunak also referred to them in a Easter speech in April 2023.

A few years ago, Starmer was also talking about them when he apparently told the Church Time that “the best of British values” that have surfaced in the response to the pandemic “are also the best of Christian values”.

What are these "British values" that I keep hearing about? For example, I heard that today is the day when otherwise rational folk will spend part of their day chasing a round of cheese down a hill (yes, today is the day of the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling event...) Is local craziness a British values? What else?  An adulterous divorced Monarch being head of a church? An entire chamber in a Parliament being unelected? Possessing nuclear weapons? 

What examples of "British values" might be commonly held across the P&B membership?

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Arrogance

Ignorance

A deep seated sense of inadequacy caused by being usurped by vulgar colonials. 

Stupidity

Alcoholism

I only got two out of five; could probably push for a third if I upped my drinking.

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Arrogance

Ignorance

A deep seated sense of inadequacy

Stupidity

Alcoholism

British values, not Old Firm fan values. Can’t you read thread titles?

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Personally I absolutely hate Johnny Foreigner, and place enormous weight on the value of my own hastily arrived at opinions

^^ good old fashioned common sense 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Personally I absolutely hate Johnny Foreigner, and place enormous weight on the value of my own hastily arrived at opinions

Enormous weight - good call.

Winning World Wars.

Spitfires

Love of The Royal Family (God bless them)

Suspicion of anyone/thing foreign (unless they play for your team)

Not learning foreign languages but expecting others to speak English (especially if abroad on holiday)

Thinking England is an Island! 

Did I mention Spitfires? 🤪

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Winning World Wars.

Spitfires

Love of The Royal Family (God bless them)

Suspicion of anyone/thing foreign (unless they play for your team)

Not learning foreign languages but expecting others to speak English (especially if abroad on holiday)

Thinking England is an Island! 

Did I mention Spitfires? 🤪

Don’t fancy their chances in the next one…

There's been a lot of interesting replies 😁 but so far I'm not detecting much in the way of a list of values that the "nation" (however defined) could coalesce around...

It kinds of begs the question... if there's no agreement on what the "British values" are, how can politicians and each political party claim that they are best able to reflect them?