Group C 🇸🇮🇩🇰🇷🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Missed the first half of England v Denmark due to taxi duties, but knew it was 1-1 due to a couple of updates on Radio Ulster, but didn't hear anymore until I got home about 6.30, delighted to see it was still 1-1.

Denmark should have won from what I saw.

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Tbf we were on holiday back in 2012 and stayed in Frankfurt near the train station and it was something else.

It was every bit as bad as they say, even back then. We walked to the hotel and some guy walked towards us and he was pissing himself as he walked. The place next door to the hotel got raided at 3am one morning of our trip and we had to put the table up against our hotel door as there were folk going aroun😎d all night. Sadly back then we didn’t have the money to change hotels. 

Then there was the legendary rubber man, whom we named because he was doing drugs in the doorway opposite and he’d sway bend backwards, forwards, sideways when he stood but we never saw him fall over. It might be the only place I’ve felt genuinely scared and I’ve lived in some right shitholes.

I visited a brothel in Frankfurt and it was quite nice.  (State run, and taxed)

Unfortunately I didn't win the sweep, so didn't enjoy the pleasures therein...   

2 hours ago, Red Kite said:

Great points and you highlight why being England manager should be avoided at all costs.  Southgate has outdone previous higher-profie managers, but also made similar decisions that were criticised when they were in charge.  I find that frustrating and baffling because it makes him an easy target. He is a decent lad.  The English media are hysterical.  Some of the fans are deluded. 

Southgate is an incompetent football manager. Being a vibes guy who does better than Roy Hodgson, before bottling a de facto home tournament after getting every other possible break in the draw does not change that.

England's performance in the Nations League is conveniently overlooked despite making up the other half of competitive matches under Southgate. Their turgid performance yesterday was simply a replica of the ones that got them relegated from the top tier (lol) and pumped 0-4 at home by Hungary (lol). 

On the other hand, I do agree that there is still some level of delusion. The TFS podcast this morning was seriously discussing whether England simply have... too much talent to succeed. Which is quite clearly demented. 

Spoiler

Southgate almost certainly a shy, 'one-nation' Tory voter too. And so, by extension, an utter c**t. 

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Southgate is an incompetent football manager. Being a vibes guy who does better than Roy Hodgson, before bottling a de facto home tournament after getting every other possible break in the draw does not change that.

England's performance in the Nations League is conveniently overlooked despite making up the other half of competitive matches under Southgate. Their turgid performance yesterday was simply a replica of the ones that got them relegated from the top tier (lol) and pumped 0-4 at home by Hungary (lol). 

On the other hand, I do agree that there is still some level of delusion. The TFS podcast this morning was seriously discussing whether England simply have... too much talent to succeed. Which is quite clearly demented. 

Reveal hidden contents

Southgate almost certainly a shy, 'one-nation' Tory voter too. And so, by extension, an utter c**t. 

Some  extremely competent club managers, both English and overseas, have been unable to win a trophy.  As I say, I think anyone with any sense would swerve the job.

England is divided on pretty much everything, without him declaring who he votes for.

Edited by Red Kite

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hide contents

Ray Parlour hit back this morning at critics who claim England players just don't care enough. His argument... if anything they care too much.

A team with too much talent who care too much really should be skooshing this.

6 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Ray Parlour hit back this morning at critics who claim England players just don't care enough. His argument... if anything they care too much.

The Romford Pele has spoken, mate.

I have stated I am not that invested in England.  For all the good it did, I boycotted watching the whole of the last World Cup so I can take-or-leave international tournaments.  Now I am back on the bandwagon, it is still the same mish-mish of opinions and theories.

3 hours ago, SlayerX said:

You're spot on. Couldn't agree more on all counts.

From an outsider looking in. It's fascinating to watch the media hyping this squad up to extraordinary levels.

This England squad is the most valuable squad at Euro 24 (£1.1bn)

The media and some fans just look at the tentative notion of valuation (which depends on which league a player plays in) and it fogs their judgement and alters reality and gives them unrealistic expectations.

I think that'd one of the biggest reasons some fans and the media expect England to dominate.

It would be interesting to see if the top 5 leagues adopted a 3 overseas player cap and then see which valuation would fall and which would rise.

I think expectations would become a wee bit more realistic.

https://www.cityam.com/euro-2024-squad-value-how-much-is-each-team-worth/

Not sure how old you are but even in the 70s and 80s when most English teams were full of Englishmen, the occasional foreigner and some Scots, Welsh and Irish their expectations were always way more than the talent in the squad for a tourney, if anything, although they are still deluded, I think they (media, fans) are more reserved now.

Another massive issue that the media and fans are ignoring is who is ultimately going to take the baton from Harry Kane.

As far as I can remember England have had a world class striker and a world class striker to take over the mantle (Lineker -》Shearer -》Owen -》Rooney -》Kane)

And for all intents and purposes, they largely carried the team.

There's Calvert-Lewin, Toney and Watkins, but once Kane retires from international football in 2/3 years, those three will be 30, 31 and 31.

I think it would've been Mason Greenwood (but that ship has sailed). I have never seen a striker hit the ball like him. The way he strikes the ball it's like a hybrid of Fowler and Shearer.

It's an issue for Southgate and the next England managers.

Edited by SlayerX

6 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Another massive issue that the media and fans are ignoring is who is ultimately going to take the baton from Harry Kane.

As far as I can remember England have had a world class striker and a world class striker to take over the mantle (Lineker -》Shearer -》Owen -》Rooney -》Kane)

There's Calvert-Lewin, Toney and Watkins, but once Kane retires from international football in 2/3 years, those three will be 30, 31 and 31.

I think it would've been Mason Greenwood (but that ship has sailed). I have never seen a striker hit the ball like him. The way he strikes the ball it's like a hybrid of Fowler and Shearer.

It's an issue for Southgate and the next England managers.

Kane is still only 30. He has the next World Cup in him at least and will probably be at the next euros too.

44 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Not sure how old you are but even in the 70s and 80s when most English teams were full of Englishmen, the occasional foreigner and some Scots, Welsh and Irish their expectations were always way more than the talent in the squad for a tourney, if anything, although they are still deluded, I think they (media, fans) are more reserved now.

Whilst that's possibly true, their expectations back then were based on much more reasonable evidence. They had won the thing in 1966 which was fairly recent history even if the odds were stacked in their favour at a home tourney (they possibly also should have won in 70, they certainly should have made the final). And English club sides, which as you say were not stocked with foreigners, were absolutely dominating Europe. They won the European Cup almost every year from 1977 to 1984 and were regular winners / finalists in the Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup also. They couldn't translate it into international success though. Indeed there's an argument they were never worse. Didn't qualify for the 78 World Cup. didn't seriously compete in 82. To be fair under Robson in 86 and 90 they did well but even in both of those, they struggled out of their group before clicking. As for the Euros, didn't qualify in 84, hopeless in 88, hopeless in 92. In fact. other than 1996 and 2020/21, both of which were held in (or predominantly in) England, they've NEVER done anything of note in the Euros.

The English now tend to over-rate their own players based on the level of their own club game, forgetting that it's jam packed with foreign players who largely carry their clubs to success. The top clubs aren't exactly over-endowed with English players. Kane's a genuinely world class striker and Bellingham's talent is limitless at the moment. Foden and Saka are capable of reaching those levels but haven't quite settled into that sort of form on an international stage yet. Walker's a very good right sided defender. Otherwise..................................

I suppose there's an argument for Declan Rice but he only really stands out due to the lack of any other English player to perform that role currently. Players like Rodri and Toni Kroos are far better than him.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

And therein may lie their problem.  English national sides through the decades have a common theme - the sum of the parts is very often greater than the whole.  Too much bling and not enough pragmatism.