Airdrie

Livi

Falkirk

Dunfermline 

Ayr

Morton

Qp

Hamilton 

I think 8th to 3rd will be within 5-9 points of each other, raith and partick will be within 4 points of eachother but 6 points clear of airdrie and qp and Hamilton will be the same as the top 2 just 6 points a drift of morton

Just because I think you are splashing the cash doesn't mean I don't think you are balancing the books. On the contrary, until I see evidence otherwise, I assume you have the money and IMO, have actually been investing it wisely. It's definitely not sour grapes. New board, seem to have their shit together, spending the money they have and see an opportunity to go for promotion - seems fair enough to me.

From a Pars perspective, I'm relaxed about it. After a shocking previous Championship campaign, a year in league one and a new purpose built training facility, our investment has most definitely not on the squad and the business strategy seems somewhat different. It'll be a season of two before I think we compete financially with Raith.

But to return to my original point - the investment from the new board all comes with expectation and pressure. I'm unsure what Livi are going to look like when they come down but of the Championship teams last season, you are clear favourites to go up. Be interesting to see how that investment holds up through another season and how exceptional that form from the first half of last season really was. ;)

5 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

It'll be a season of two before I think we compete financially with Raith.

Acht we'll be well out of your reach by then 😜

I agree with all your other points. It'll be interesting to see if last season was just a one off or if we have the ability to continue to move forward. I've been following the Rovers long enough to not be silly enough to think "right we were 2nd last season so it's a stick on we'll finish 1st next season". I'm encouraged though by what's coming out the club and that that's the aim and applaud their ambition but I'll reserve judgement until clubs have their teams sorted, ours included. Byrne and Easton departing (if it happens) would leave some big gaps to fill and Turner will be heading back to County. I do think folk are writing Livi off a bit and can only assume it's because in the grand scheme of things they're not viewed as a 'big' ex Prem club, they'll be there or there abouts I reckon.

1 hour ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Amazing how the myth of Raith being sugar daddied is still doing the rounds.

Are you suggesting that Raith Rovers are only spending money that is brought in directly by the football club, and have no external sources? 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Maybe someone with better knowledge can chirp in but not sure what difference being down a level will help expedite getting international clearance for someone. There's nigh on no one at our level buying players that require such clearance probably due to the timescales it takes to get things through. 

I think the way it gets granted is partially on expectation of playing time, at this level he'd be expected to play more. He's got a contract until 2027 so I'm hoping it's sorted soon :D 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

500% mind, don't forget that. I haven't a scooby what our playing budget has been, the board said it wasn't hugely different from seasons gone by however I'm sure it'll show in future accounts. However if Byrne plumps for Livi or Partick we're either not keen (which I'd be surprised at) or as flush as folk think we are. 

Or he'd rather play for Livi or Patrick.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Or he'd rather play for Livi or Patrick.

One thing I keep coming back to is Byrne doing a Livi podcast last year where he talked about how much he regretted letting his agent at the time talk him into leaving Livi. I'm hoping that's pulling on his decision a bit. 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

500% mind, don't forget that. I haven't a scooby what our playing budget has been, the board said it wasn't hugely different from seasons gone by however I'm sure it'll show in future accounts. However if Byrne plumps for Livi or Partick we're either not keen (which I'd be surprised at) or as flush as folk think we are. 

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

The myth has been perpetuated by Pars fans as an excuse as to why players chose to come to the inferior (in their eyes) 'wee Fife team' as opposed to their world class on a Par with Barcelona effort along the road in the other town.

We are balancing the books.......  wonder how that happens if we are 'splashing the cash?'

So if Byrne picks Livi or Partick it's definitely down to cash. 

But if he chooses Raith it's definitely not because of the cash and woe be tide anyone that says different. 

27 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

So if Byrne picks Livi or Partick it's definitely down to cash. 

Pray tell any other reason. All 3 teams will fancy their chances for promotion next season. He's been open about being happy here and he lives locally. Players go where there's a chance for success and/or if financially they will be better off - right now could you say for certain who out the 3 teams are going to have a more successful season? probably not. He's not going to take a drop in wages to move on to Partick or Livi ffs. If we've offered him a good deal or at least matched what Livi/Partick are offering I'd be very surprised if he didn't just stay where he was, if they're offering more he'll go to one of the two of them (which would make sense).

Posted (edited)

Dont know what Byrne was on at Dundee or how much of his wages we were paying, I'm sure if we want him to stay with us, he'll have to take travelling costs into the equation so that may just rule out Partick unless they're really gonna push the boat out

As far as predictions are for the league, I think theres a fair chance of snow, as it's too early to forecast 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

21 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Pray tell any other reason. All 3 teams will fancy their chances for promotion next season. He's been open about being happy here and he lives locally. Players go where there's a chance for success and/or if financially they will be better off - right now could you say for certain who out the 3 teams are going to have a more successful season? probably not. He's not going to take a drop in wages to move on to Partick or Livi ffs. If we've offered him a good deal or at least matched what Livi/Partick are offering I'd be very surprised if he didn't just stay where he was, if they're offering more he'll go to one of the two of them (which would make sense).

If we've matched it, I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back to us given his past

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

I think the way it gets granted is partially on expectation of playing time, at this level he'd be expected to play more. He's got a contract until 2027 so I'm hoping it's sorted soon :D 

Aye they weren't convinced we'd give him games in the top flight. Weird though because they gave us clearance for Lawal and he hardly had any game time and was sent out on loan. Bit of a lottery with their clearance decisions.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye they weren't convinced we'd give him games in the top flight. Weird though because they gave us clearance for Lawal and he hardly had any game time and was sent out on loan. Bit of a lottery with their clearance decisions.

Lawal got it for his youth caps with Nigeria though

I expect both Falkirk & Hamilton to surprise a few people much like Airdrie did last season.  Raith will do an Ayr & Livi will go straight back up

Livi

Falkirk

Partick

Hamilton

Morton

Airdrie

Dunfermline

Raith

Ayr

Queens Park

Must be coincidence that kelty hearts and raith both had the same directors and both suddenly brought in a much higher class of players when said directors arrived. 

4 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Amazing how the myth of Raith being sugar daddied is still doing the rounds.

Our budget last season was 1/4 of Dundee United.  

FFS man, Montenegro's GDP was 1/4 of Dundee United's budget.

I'm a bit wary of us expecting to go back up, after the Flynn Roaring Back pish (still got that Roaring Back scarf you got with renewing your ST). However i like having a top 4 play off place to aim for, although 3rd and 4th placed teams have never managed to win promotion, the extra 2 games really tells for them. So 2nd place has to be where we'd have to finish for any realistic chance, which was where we were 7 seasons ago when we beat Partick Thistle in the final.

There isn't an obvious big money team like Hearts, Dundee Utd, Dundee, throwing money at promotion though, so looks like being an open title challenge for a fair few teams. And there's always the dark horse nobody expects, last time round nobody (including us) saw Livi finishing 2nd and winning the play offs. 

8 hours ago, Raithie said:

I'd imagine Dunfermline signing Chris Kane has worked out more costly than us signing Fordyce (our only confirmed signing thus far).

Ahem! 😏

Been a bumper year for conservatories and catering down Kirkcaldy I see. 

Anything other than promotion going to be a huge failure at this rate. 

Will definitely change my mind on this before the season actually starts, and will most likely manage to be closer first time round. 

1. Raith

2. Livingston 

3. Partick Thistle

4. Falkirk

5. Dunfermline

6. Airdrie

7. Ayr United

8. Morton

9. Hamilton

10. Queens Park