League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

So another re-match of the 2008 Big Cup Semi, plus the first of at least 5 ties with Dumbarton this season - and maybe a trip to Calderglen Park (bound to go wrong, aye ...).  No idea how we'll do this season until we see some of the squad signings.

Dons will be favourites of course but McCabe might fancy Airdrie's chances at this early stage of the season whilst the new Dons manager is still getting his feet under the table.

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So another re-match of the 2008 Big Cup Semi, plus the first of at least 5 ties with Dumbarton this season - and maybe a trip to Calderglen Park (bound to go wrong, aye ...).  No idea how we'll do this season until we see some of the squad signings.

Dons will be favourites of course but McCabe might fancy Airdrie's chances at this early stage of the season whilst the new Dons manager is still getting his feet under the table.

What could go wrong at the K Park?

Over a mile from the bus station and a mile and a half from the train station along the side of duel carriage ways and dodgy underpasses to a tree lined country park. Oh that mile plus from the bus station, nothing zero 0 no shops pubs signs of life of any kind bar the odd dog walker or cyclist. I'm sure Section B ultras will enjoy the walk.

Btw, 201 bus takes from you the Excelsior to EK bus station in about 90 minutes.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

What could go wrong at the K Park?

Over a mile from the bus station and a mile and a half from the train station along the side of duel carriage ways and dodgy underpasses to a tree lined country park. Oh that mile plus from the bus station, nothing zero 0 no shops pubs signs of life of any kind bar the odd dog walker or cyclist. I'm sure Section B ultras will enjoy the walk.

Btw, 201 bus takes from you the Excelsior to EK bus station in about 90 minutes.

A Queens side coming off the back of three shambolic seasons in a row vs a moneybags wannabe outfit - aye, what could go wrong indeed.

Well, tbf K Park is only a 6 mile drive from my house (I'm part of the Dumfries diaspora)!

There is a Carrigans pub restaurant place half a mile south of the park entrance plus a wee cafe place in Calderglen Park - but aye, that's about it.

Edited by Otis Blue

Posted (edited)

If they follow previous seasons I think each team’s home fixtures will be

Aberdeen - Airdrie and Dumbarton
Airdrie - Queens and EK
Queens - Aberdeen and Dumbarton
Dumbarton - Airdrie and EK
EK - Aberdeen and Queens.

Edit to say the game won’t necessarily be in that order.

Edited by Artemis

6 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Is it actually? I thought we played them first.

I've no actual idea tbh. I can just see it being a midweek game a screwing us out of a decent gate. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I've no actual idea tbh. I can just see it being a midweek game a screwing us out of a decent gate. 

Motherwell at home was a Tuesday last season.  Don't know if the order of fixtures is necessarily going to be the same this year.  First Saturday v Dons would be a real bonus 🤞 

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it’s first game you’d imagine it would be a Saturday at 3pm.

1 minute ago, QoS99 said:

If it’s first game you’d imagine it would be a Saturday at 3pm.

Queens first game last season was on a Tuesday night v Motherwell. The second home game was also on a Tuesday night.
I think only 3 of the 8 Pot 1 v Pot 3 games were on the Saturday last year. Probably 50/50 whether it’s a Saturday, although it could be a TV pick which might be a factor.

9 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Queens first game last season was on a Tuesday night v Motherwell. The second home game was also on a Tuesday night.
I think only 3 of the 8 Pot 1 v Pot 3 games were on the Saturday last year. Probably 50/50 whether it’s a Saturday, although it could be a TV pick which might be a factor.

We should be safe from a TV pick at least. I've not bothered to look at the other groups so there will likely be some decent fixtures but from our group Aberdeen Vs Airdrie will be the best chance of an upset. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We should be safe from a TV pick at least. I've not bothered to look at the other groups so there will likely be some decent fixtures but from our group Aberdeen Vs Airdrie will be the best chance of an upset. 

Yeah, if there's a TV pick in this group it'll be Dons v Diamonds.

54 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Airdrie won't be easy, particularly if away.

Yep, Airdrie were very good last season playing good football. Third spot will be a long shot for the other 3 clubs.

Aberdeen will still be trying to sort themselves out under their new Swedish manager so they may not come into this flying.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just realised EK are there as well. I imagine Kennedy and his chums will be all over that. Would quite enjoy Aberdeen/EK televised for the Dons to gub them.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just realised EK are there as well. I imagine Kennedy and his chums will be all over that. Would quite enjoy Aberdeen/EK televised for the Dons to gub them.

Darvel alert, Darvel alert!

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Airdrie won't be easy, particularly if away.

They should be at home going off the previous format. Again still could be a banana skin of a game early on. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, if there's a TV pick in this group it'll be Dons v Diamonds.

Yep, Airdrie were very good last season playing good football. Third spot will be a long shot for the other 3 clubs.

Aberdeen will still be trying to sort themselves out under their new Swedish manager so they may not come into this flying.

Reckon EK Aberdeen will be a tv pick possibly Aberdeen v Airdrie too.

Two year ago our TV games were Peterhead away which was on the Sunday and Raith at home which was also a Sunday game 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Where will East Kilbride v Aberdeen take place? Heard their ground is minimal to say the least?

Calderglen Country Park, East Kilbride. It's near the southern edge of town on the A726 road to Strathaven. Coming from Aberdeen, leave the M74 at J5 Raith interchange on the A725 to EK.

The ground itself is called K Park and sits inside the Country Park. It's a very basic astro non league set up with a simple 3 (?) row seated stand on part of one side only and that's about it as far as I can remember ... my youngest used to train there 10 years back. Don't know if it's improved since then tbf.

Edited by Otis Blue