League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

42 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Had a watch of the AB podcast that Rhys featured on. Sounds from most of the Aberdeen contributors that they view us as a bit of a diddy side and are expecting to run up a decent score. 

Here's hoping their new management make the same assumption.

I saw Airdrie a few times last season and they are  a tidy outfit. This will be no stroll in the park.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Anyone any clues where to park for the game tonight?  The last time I was in Aberdeen for a game of football was 1996 and my old man drove! 

It mentions in the match preview that parking is available ‘adjacent to the ground’

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

It mentions in the match preview that parking is available ‘adjacent to the ground’

= Stonehaven

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Anyone any clues where to park for the game tonight?  The last time I was in Aberdeen for a game of football was 1996 and my old man drove! 

Pittodrie's down near the beach/esplanade.  When I worked up there (and used to watch Fergie's side), pretty sure I used to park on the esplanade ... but tbf that was centuries ago and Victoria had just married her German pal Albert ...

6 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I thought it was very mixed tbh. I think the host was pretty good and he was very complimentary about Rhys and the way Airdrie play football. There's a few comments from Aberdeen fans who were like 'yeah we are going to win 5-0' etc but a good few of the contributors think it'll be a decent game to see where they are at. Aberdeen will be massive favourites so understand why they are confident and it's basically a free hit for us.

He's hoping for another 'Super Tuesday' from us tonight and we can cause an upset.

Presumably the Ally Begg thing?

I have a couple of memories of matches with the previous version of Airdrieonians not to get overly confident about the outcome this evening.

For some reason, from a holiday in my younger years I recall an English lad informing me in Trafalgar Square 1984 that Aberdeen had lost 3-1 to Airdrie in the LC. That Dons side didn't lose more than 2 goals to anyone, so his news was met with disbelief.

In the early 90s, a LC tie with Airdrie at home was lost with a late goal, and it was one of the indicators that Alex Smith minus Jocky Scott was not going to work for us, and he was sacked a few months later.

By all accounts the current version of Airdrieonians play bonnie expansive fitba - that could either rattle us, or play into our hands - as it can often be the 'low block' brigade we struggle with.

Edited by tarapoa

On 22/07/2024 at 12:24, Jacksgranda said:

I was more posting that going to a football match years ago could be more of a spur of the moment decision as you were practically guaranteed entry if you had the requisite entrance fee in cash, the only tickets floating about in those days were season tickets.

I haven't been at a match in Scotland since my father died (2008) but even then I just travelled down to Aberdeen by train and paid at the gate.

All this booking on line, printing tickets off, using an app just seems to make it overly complicated. Probably a generational thing.

I don’t mind having to buy online but for Aberdeen’s match against Dumbarton on Saturday you can’t even buy a ticket on the day of the match. Struggling to think of a good reason for that 

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

If you're sharp enough Urquhart Road/Constitution St area might be free, and a shortish walk along Park Road to the away entrance.  Otherwise you could be looking at close to the Beach Esplanade.

Edited by O_Kahn

5 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Park on the esplanade up by the driving range,two minutes walk to pittodrie,less chance of your car getting 'attention' from the locals on constitution st/Urquhart rd etc and not too harsh getting back out of the shit storm that is Aberdeen city centre in a car. (Wee aside,wtaf is the plan for union st?does the council even have one?)

Watching this on a rig with about a dozen Dons fans so should be banterific no matter how it goes. Hoping we keep up our recent run of handing the Premier league team their arse in the group stages.

Mon eh Diamonds.

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

image.png.6a530c6e21211c5ca29b5d1b3513e3e9.png

Probably wouldn't have bothered going/coming if I'd seen that lineup before hand. Where the hell are all our players?! 

1 minute ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Where is everyone?!?

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Probably wouldn't have bothered going/coming if I'd seen that lineup before hand. Where the hell are all our players?! 

I was hoping there might at least be a few more subs. 

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I was hoping there might at least be a few more subs. 

I'm hoping it's a case of resting players/pre booked holidays or something. Very concerning if we have that many injuries already! One attacking player available from the bench. 

EK 2/1 - Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

We’re screwed if anyone gets injured tonight!!

It shows how short we are if/when we start getting injuries during the season. Perhaps a ploy by Murphy for the Board of Director to release more funds :lol:

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd known I'd be paying £15 to stand behind the goal and watch the game through a fuckin nett

From the BBC text page - "Jimmy Thelin's just walked over to the Pittodrie dugout for the first time. Quite the greet from the home support."

And Airdrie haven't even scored yet...

9 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I probably wouldn't have bothered if I'd known I'd be paying £15 to stand behind the goal and watch the game through a fuckin nett

Could have told you that beforehand. It's a shite football venue.