Gibraltar Vs Scotland 3rd June 2024, Euros warm up

23 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

It’s like Dumbarton if it was a country. Imagine… 

In Gibraltar the threatening apes only hang about the rock.

31 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Why are folk focusing on this game as if it has significance? It's just a warmup gams.

Because we're Scotland fans, and it's fun and interesting to discuss how we might approach this, our penultimate prep game before the tournament.

It's not particularly complicated.

All this talk of resting important players is fine, but we also don't want to send them into the tournament undercooked having not played for 2/3 weeks by the time we face Germany.

32 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Because we're Scotland fans, and it's fun and interesting to discuss how we might approach this, our penultimate prep game before the tournament.

It's not particularly complicated.

This game is closer to a pre-season match at club level. Nothing meaningful can be taken from it other than players fitness.

Given Clarkes words on an unfamiliar line up vs Gibraltar and giving people minutes that need them - I expect starts for Hanley, Ralston, Jack and Doak.

I hope McCrorie gets at least a half but I think from what's been said to the media from the scotland camp, it's Ralstons spot to lose at this stage so I expect Clarke will want to give him as many minutes as possible 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

All this talk of resting important players is fine, but we also don't want to send them into the tournament undercooked having not played for 2/3 weeks by the time we face Germany.

I think everyone should play minutes over the two games and the line up for Finland should be close to a starting XI, but for Gibraltar tomorrow I’d be focussing on preserving key players to avoid injury and also resting players who’s domestic season only finished over the last 10 days or so (Anyone who played in the FA cup, Scottish cup or championship playoff finals, plus overseas based players like McKenna and Hendry who’s club season only finished recently).

There are plenty of players who need the minutes tomorrow because they’re working their way back from an injury or their club season finished ages ago. My overarching point is that playing Gibraltar isn’t really a useful tactical test and the team selection should be entirely based on who needs the minutes and who would benefit from a rest instead. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

This game is closer to a pre-season match at club level. Nothing meaningful can be taken from it other than players fitness.

I'm quite interested in seeing how sharp and free moving some of our players are, and that's one of a few reasons I'm looking fwd to this game.

If it doesn't excite you at all that fair enough - good luck to you. Enjoy Pointless with your 5pm cup of tea (no milk or sugar) and your joyless rich tea biscuit.

40 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm quite interested in seeing how sharp and free moving some of our players are, and that's one of a few reasons I'm looking fwd to this game.

If it doesn't excite you at all that fair enough - good luck to you. Enjoy Pointless with your 5pm cup of tea (no milk or sugar) and your joyless rich tea biscuit.

The Chase, surely ?

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

If it doesn't excite you at all that fair enough - good luck to you. Enjoy Pointless with your 5pm cup of tea (no milk or sugar) and your joyful soggy biscuit.

Fixed that for you.

11 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Stop posting about it then and go out and do something.

Today is mostly about getting minutes into backup guys who need them:

Clark

Porteous, Hanley, Cooper

Ralston,                           Taylor

Jack, McGregor

Forrest,                            Christie

Shankland

They’re (The warmup games) important for various reasons: we have a number of players in the pre-selection who need some minutes on the pitch. The Championship boys, some of the Championship boys in England finished in the first weekend of May so they’re going to need minutes on the pitch. You’ve got players who are on return to play from reasonably medium term injuries who’ll need some minutes on the pitch so the first game we can use for that. The second game will probably, here hopefully in front of a full house a big send-off game, will be closer to the starting XI for the tournament, but might not be the starting XI because there’s always things that you can change or tweak. 

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/r6tHhXD9c2E?si=DZldA3dk0BJ-41EF&t=423

On 01/06/2024 at 22:11, Hendricks said:

Just avoid injuries ffs. 

On 01/06/2024 at 22:13, the snudge said:

NAE INJURIES PLEASE

Gibraltar players in a bouyant mood ahead of today's game...

1_Vinnie-Jones.jpg

These two games are pretty much why I'd had called up a bigger squad.

Surely Barron, Conway, King,etc, would learn more training and playing with the seniors than playing a friendly for the u21s.

Add Watson and Miller into the mix, too.

The age of the team, especially the midfield, is getting up there. Time to add a few kids to the mix.

44 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Today is mostly about getting minutes into backup guys who need them:

Clark

Porteous, Hanley, Cooper

Ralston,                           Taylor

Jack, McGregor

Forrest,                            Christie

Shankland

Dont think that'll be far away. I'd have thought one of Gordon/Kelly rather than Clark probably.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dont think that'll be far away. I'd have thought one of Gordon/Kelly rather than Clark probably.

Greg Taylor hasn't been training he has been in Ibiza for his wedding.

edit he trained yesterday for the first time.

I think Robertson will start as not played for couple of weeks

Edited by the tactician

Clarke has said that the starting lineup will be players who need minutes, so it'll be an unfamiliar starting XI:

Clark

Porteous Cooper Hanley

Ralston                Robertson

Jack  McLean

Forrest

Shankland Adams