Boness United 2024/25

4 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Not bitten at all, just find the endless "oh athletic" stuff really boring. Adds nothing to what is generally one of the better Lowland League threads

You seem upset by the mention of them, so we will move on.

Putting them to one side, what actual planning or contingency have the club put in place for their entry to the Junior Cup? It seems pretty clear that it will cause havoc with Lowland League commitments.

Have they players even been informed that they will have to be available for another cup competition? Or have the board not thought that far ahead? 

Edited by Spyro

Happy to be in it if it means a few extra days out, reckon EK will be sprinting away with the league again this season so might as well have a bit of fun along the way. BU generally have been decent with LL fixtures getting matches / kickoff times moved etc so wouldn't be surprised if they've asked the questions already for that side of things.

Actually struggling to think of any reason why we wouldn't want to fling our name in the hat.

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Happy to be in it if it means a few extra days out, reckon EK will be sprinting away with the league again this season so might as well have a bit of fun along the way. BU generally have been decent with LL fixtures getting matches / kickoff times moved etc so wouldn't be surprised if they've asked the questions already for that side of things.

Actually struggling to think of any reason why we wouldn't want to fling our name in the hat.

So you are just hoping the league will help you out? Availability of your home ground will be an issue too. I'm assuming you are just hoping that will work out too? 

And the players? Have they been told or being squared up for the extra games and rearranged fixtures? Or do they not matter?

5 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Several posts today (on the old thread !!!!) following the announcement that the BU's will be in The Junior Cup this year.

It's a big YAHOO from me as it will (hopefully) mean some extra games........and for me that's the bottom line on should we/shouldn't we.

Hopefully other LL and East Clubs will fancy it as well.

Was checking the West of Scotland Forum and saw this announcement. Thought I’d woken up from a very long sleep, but found out it’s not April Fools day!

What the feck are Boness Utd thinking of? Absolute retrograde step this is. Thought Sauchie and Dunipace were having a laugh, but BU has just trumphed that! Would you, as a team not be better trying to go through the season with less injuries and concentrate more on winning the league that taken backward steps into the dark ages?  

Edited by Casey Jones

21 minutes ago, Spyro said:

So you are just hoping the league will help you out? Availability of your home ground will be an issue too. I'm assuming you are just hoping that will work out too? 

And the players? Have they been told or being squared up for the extra games and rearranged fixtures? Or do they not matter?

I'm a fan of a football team, I'm not going to get myself wound up about the hypothetical trouble that none of us know if it actually exists or not.

I can imagine how the discussion with the players goes.

"We have more games"

"We getting paid?"

"Yes"

"Cool"

28 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/media/3002/sjfa-rule-book-2024-25.pdf

I mean the SJFA only just put up the 2024-25 Rulebook after their AGM and technically BU are ineligible both as a member and as a guest.

image.png.28a82c832c39102d8c2c3414b45d074d.png

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

I can imagine how the discussion with the players goes.

"We have more games"

"We getting paid?"

"Yes"

"Cool"

I can guarantee you that's not how it works! Especially when it will involve midweek games to accommodate the other teams that currently use your home ground. Also it's a lot of faith to put into the other opponents who will have to arrange time off work and travel to accommodate your Juniors Cup games

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

I can guarantee you that's not how it works! Especially when it will involve midweek games to accommodate the other teams that currently use your home ground. Also it's a lot of faith to put into the other opponents who will have to arrange time off work and travel to accommodate your Juniors Cup games

You're guaranteeing and hypothesising a lot about something that ultimately none of us know what has been discussed between BU, NPA SJFA, LL and the players. 

The games meant to be fun, try it sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Rage said:

You're guaranteeing and hypothesising a lot about something that ultimately none of us know what has been discussed between BU, NPA SJFA, LL and the players. 

The games meant to be fun, try it sometimes.

No point in getting raging with me. I'm only asking the same questions I hope your board had answers to before applying but have shown in the past to be quite poor at. You certainly don't need to be the one answering them. I'd be asking the same questions if it was my club applying too

9 hours ago, Spyro said:

No point in getting raging with me. I'm only asking the same questions I hope your board had answers to before applying but have shown in the past to be quite poor at. You certainly don't need to be the one answering them. I'd be asking the same questions if it was my club applying too

Not sure what about looking forward to a some fun days out supporting my team is me raging at anyone, I'm not the one getting wound up at a decision made by a club that I don't support.

8 minutes ago, John S said:

That rule seems definite 

Doesn't matter unless the SJFA membership were to kick up a fuss. Since BU would be guaranteed a bye and its unknown what assurances have been given they can get SJC games played. A number of EoSFL clubs have shown it to be unworkable. Most recently Camelon rejoining last season and withdrawing without playing their tie.

Those running the SJFA have said its open to everyone in the pyramid for years now. Making it up as they go along. Yet they still don't include Tier 5 for guests in the rulebook. Then for membership its still restricted to North Region, East Region, EoSFL, WoSFL clubs.

On 20/06/2024 at 18:43, Deanburn Dave said:

Several posts today (on the old thread !!!!) following the announcement that the BU's will be in The Junior Cup this year.

It's a big YAHOO from me as it will (hopefully) mean some extra games........and for me that's the bottom line on should we/shouldn't we.

Hopefully other LL and East Clubs will fancy it as well.

I’m at best very sceptical with this .

its going to require a bigger squad which I don’t think will happen .

it will put added pressure on players , no doubt cause injuries and suspensions and could undermine our status in lowland league .

Even though we don’t have/dont’get a bronze licence we should be aiming to maintain what we had this year in second place or even bettering it .

Next season it will come with league cup entry if rules stay the same and that’s worth a minimum 30K I believe with the chance of drawing Hearts or Falkirk and the like .

The Scottish Junior Cup has had its day and this gimmick is basically a move to enhance its reputation again.

We do need more information which will hopefully come soon .

According to Google, so it must be true, winning the Junior Cup will be worth about £24,000, so might be worth a punt. Lots of pluses and minuses, but that’s what we have a committee for. It’s their job to decide what’s best for the club. Lots of West of Scotland lowland league clubs involved in it, we might be the only one from the East. If it’s the right thing for the cub, so what?

If our Scottish Junior Cup run turns out to be several home victories v some of the bigger West teams and progress to the last 8 then it will be seen as a great decision.

If it is a couple of away trips to smaller clubs followed by a defeat v a tier 8 team then it will be a feckin disaster .

The Fitbaw gods will decide.

8 minutes ago, Costa Crookies said:

According to Google, so it must be true, winning the Junior Cup will be worth about £24,000, so might be worth a punt. Lots of pluses and minuses, but that’s what we have a committee for. It’s their job to decide what’s best for the club. Lots of West of Scotland lowland league clubs involved in it, we might be the only one from the East. If it’s the right thing for the cub, so what?

image.png.a448459ff412d055b5a75ebfd2661af7.png

image.png.75e6ea8e2d7fe68f8b1c46f27f09ea22.png

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

If our Scottish Junior Cup run turns out to be several home victories v some of the bigger West teams and progress to the last 8 then it will be seen as a great decision.

If it is a couple of away trips to smaller clubs followed by a defeat v a tier 8 team then it will be a feckin disaster .

The Fitbaw gods will decide.

Beith went away to Hermes in Aberdeen and lost on penalties in their first game. Or you could end up with a scheduled Lowland League fixture on the same day (perhaps even due to a postponed Junior Cup game) and then have to figure out whether to forfeit or not...