1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Great we see a wee flash from a promising youngster and then he's off.

Need to hold on to our assets a bit longer FFS.

You say that as if this was something new. This has been happening for years now. It's irritating but that's how it works - we'll never get to hold onto a Gauld or Souttar for more than a few games in the future.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

You say that as if this was something new. This has been happening for years now. It's irritating but that's how it works - we'll never get to hold onto a Gauld or Souttar for more than a few games in the future.

Wasn't intended to be taken as me saying like it was something new. Weary derision.

We wait till January we'd be lucky to get 50k for him. And let's be real, he'd barely play for us in that timeframe.

500k plus 20% for an 18yo kid we signed a year ago. I don't like to see it, but what the heck is wrong with those odds?

1 hour ago, Ascal said:

300k now, 200k in add ons and 20% of his next fee.

Really big gamble on him going to Norwich, exploding, and being sold for silly money in 18-24 months, or him flaming out and being released into lower tier football in a few years.

Basically any other outcome in between - like say him going for a couple million next year, or playing for Norwich successfully for a decade, this deal comes out worse for us than you'd imagine we'd have got if we'd even waited till January.

I understand the bet but I don't like the odds

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

We've got a similar fee for Brandon Forbes as Sevco received for Scott Wright, it appears. 

Other clubs sell on promising young players with few appearances too, they don't often go on to have great careers.

Young players that have buggered off to 'big' clubs in recent years.

Scott Allan - went to WBA, never played, had a meh career punctured by one quality season for Hibs in the Championship, when they didn't get promoted.

Ali Coote - went to Brentford, never played, now at Shelbourne.

Scott Banks - went to Crystal Palace, never played moved to St Pauli, we shall see.

Kerr Smith - went to Aston Villa, plays reserve fitba, lined to St J and didn't play much.

Kieran Freeman - went to Southampton, never played, came back, meh, now with Raith.

Harry Souttar - went to Stoke, has done well.

Any more? 

Disappointing if Forbes is away, notwithstanding it may be a decent deal financially and simply an indication of where we are in the food chain. Boy looks like a proper talent and it would have been nice to see him develop at Tannadice. Such is life I suppose as a medium sized fish in the Scottish pond. 

Shiite however 

were getting 300k for a lad who has played 40 mins of competitive football and has 1 year left on his deal. 

He looks like he could be POTENTIALLY a pler but we just haven’t seen enough, if he was that good he would have got minutes last season in the champ. 

8 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Shiite however 

were getting 300k for a lad who has played 40 mins of competitive football and has 1 year left on his deal. 

He looks like he could be POTENTIALLY a pler but we just haven’t seen enough, if he was that good he would have got minutes last season in the champ. 

That last line seems like rationalising the situation. He's young enough that it's pointless to speculate how well he should have done a year ago.

What we've seen, or in my opinion what I think we've seen in the games v Ayr and Luton, is that he's a very talented young player. That's the extent of it. He may go very far, or he may go nowhere at all but he looks really good in my opinion, albeit on limited evidence. I'd say he's in the same bracket as Kerr Smith, Scott Banks and Scott Allan were when they left.

FWIW, I'd say Allan turned out to be a very good player who was held back by injury/health issues; Banks has found his way to the Bundesliga and still young, and Smith seems to be progressing well with Villa. If he's gone, good luck to him. Shame though.

I suspect there'll be a few moans on social media about the way the club is run or whatever, but I take the same view as it seems everyone else in the the thread seems to; that it's shite, but it's the economic reality.

Doesn't take a genius to work out what's happened...

• United offer a completely untested kid a one year contract extension at the end of last season.
  • He turns up for pre-season and impresses, getting to train with the first team and included in match day squads
  • Makes his debut, scored an absolute peach of a free kick and gets highlighted on social media across the world for it.#
  • Gets on the radar of English clubs and his agent or family start suggesting he considers his next move
  • United offer him a further extension and are knocked back. United - having only had him for a year - know they won't get any compensation to speak of if he leaves at the end of the season. 
  • United get offers, likely negotiating the best deal possible.
  • Some United fans are furious and think the club is a shit-show.

Bearing in mind that just a few months ago, United released Meekison, Chalmers, Mochrie and Glass - all of whom had years of investment go into them yet they didn't develop and live up to their potential - then I'm not at all surprised we've taken this deal.

28 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I suspect there'll be a few moans on social media about the way the club is run or whatever, but I take the same view as it seems everyone else in the the thread seems to; that it's shite, but it's the economic reality.

• United offer a completely untested kid a one year contract extension at the end of last season.
  • He turns up for pre-season and impresses, getting to train with the first team and included in match day squads
  • Makes his debut, scored an absolute peach of a free kick and gets highlighted on social media across the world for it.#
  • Gets on the radar of English clubs and his agent or family start suggesting he considers his next move
  • United offer him a further extension and are knocked back. United - having only had him for a year - know they won't get any compensation to speak of if he leaves at the end of the season. 

Bearing in mind that just a few months ago, United released Meekison, Chalmers, Mochrie and Glass - all of whom had years of investment go into them yet they didn't develop and live up to their potential - then I'm not at all surprised we've taken this deal.

Tbf that's a pretty succinct assessment of what's went on I would say.

Reflection like that puts my own grumbles to bed tbh, would have been nice to see him make an impact in the first team but like you say he's knocked back a contract extension and we should take the money that's offered at the moment.

If the money gets put back into the club or even a bit off what's owed to the owner and keeps us ticking over that's just fine.

Just want to say it was excellent to see United sell tickets for Sunday’s game at Tynecastle by ballot rather than the terrible situations like Alkmaar where you either queued in the street overnight or had to phone 500 times and get an engaged tone. Hopefully someone has been listening and this is how they’ll do it in future. 

And I’m not just saying that cos I got a ticket. 

No loyalty system in place.  Someone who has bought a season ticket this year gets treated the same as some who’s had one for decades.  Someone who rarely/never goes to away games treated the same as regular travelling supporters.

An improvement for sure but with flaws.

10 hours ago, SGMilne said:

Great post 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No loyalty system in place.  Someone who has bought a season ticket this year gets treated the same as some who’s had one for decades.  Someone who rarely/never goes to away games treated the same as regular travelling supporters.

An improvement for sure but with flaws.

I agree.  My boy went to every single league match home and away last season, had to take his chances with the ballot here and was in the home end against Alkmaar - that was fun 😬 - but it’s better than lucky phone lottery or who has the opportunity to sit outside for ten hours.  At least no dogs are kicked after three fruitless hours on the phone this way. 

Right then. Forbes confirmed away. 

Goodwin on the wireless saying very hopeful of someone coming in tonight. 

The Man City lad? Prolific goalscorer so I've read, so bring it on. 

4 minutes ago, Groot said:

Right then. Forbes confirmed away. 

Goodwin on the wireless saying very hopeful of someone coming in tonight. 

The Man City lad? Prolific goalscorer so I've read, so bring it on. 

Haaland?