6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah he was exactly as I remembered him, really, and I'm surprised you lot fell in love with him so much.

Just slow on his feet, slow to turn, slow to react. Can't kick the ball, can't fight that well with physical strikers.

Would be surprised if he plays for us again much at all tbh, and very surprised if we think about extending his contract.

I think Arabaian Knight was the only one who fell in love with him going by his posts.

The rest that actually watched him each week could see he was pretty average but he was slightly better than who he replaced at the time in a terrible league.

3 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Yep, I remember seeing this not long after the Stevie May slide goal. The commentators are being far kinder than they ought to be by making excuses for Birighitti there. The ball isn't going particularly fast and it barely swerves on the way through. Whaatever good Asghar may have done for us, pending money on a keeper capable of that kind of mistake deservedly defines his tenure at Tannadice.

3 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

I believe you’ve got to offer them at least the same terms they were on to make sure you get a development fee. 

His original contract was pennies so more than likely they offered him the same if this is the case 

5 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

I think Arabaian Knight was the only one who fell in love with him going by his posts.

The rest that actually watched him each week could see he was pretty average but he was slightly better than who he replaced at the time in a terrible league.

There was a stat going about when him and Graham were playing together towards the end of last season that was something like Holt and Gallagher passed the ball to each other 7 times a game, Graham and McLellan it was barely over 1. When they had possession the ball went to the full backs it to the CDMs, it progressed.

I don't think Sam was a world beater. I dont think AK thinks that either. But he and Graham had a partnership and understanding that was greater than the sum of its parts, they complimented each other well, covered for each others weaknesses and I would have taken him back this summer and played him over Holt because he made Graham a better player, whereas Holt kicking him out to the right makes him a worse player.

(annoyingly I can't find it now so source is unfortunately "trust me bro")

4 minutes ago, Ascal said:

There was a stat going about when him and Graham were playing together towards the end of last season that was something like Holt and Gallagher passed the ball to each other 7 times a game, Graham and McLellan it was barely over 1. When they had possession the ball went to the full backs it to the CDMs, it progressed.

I don't think Sam was a world beater. I dont think AK thinks that either. But he and Graham had a partnership and understanding that was greater than the sum of its parts, they complimented each other well, covered for each others weaknesses and I would have taken him back this summer and played him over Holt because he made Graham a better player, whereas Holt kicking him out to the right makes him a worse player.

I didn't and still don't think he's a world beater.

Like you say his partnership with Graham lead to a faster paced game towards the end of the season, I think the increase in pace of passes and being more direct more than likely kept up the momentum for United to get over the line for the title.

Picking individual players because of better attributes doesn't always work in a team game, sometimes you have to give a little in terms of overall quality to allow the operation of a unit to thrive.

McClelland came in and done a great job alongside Graham, would that work in the Prem in a back 3 or would that actually expose more weaknesses between them as players, who knows?

A ball playing RCB who would fit well in to that side would be ideal, someone with a bit more pace would help cover for the other slower CBs, hopefully. Having someone with more pace could lead to the defence being dragged about more and unless there's a good understanding between the back three then it doesn't always work out.

All hypothetical obviously but that's my thoughts on it.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

A ball playing RCB who would fit well in to that side would be ideal, someone with a bit more pace would help cover for the other slower CBs, hopefully. Having someone with more pace could lead to the defence being dragged about more and unless there's a good understanding between the back three then it doesn't always work out.

Sevelj was brought in to be exactly that player and if Strain hadn’t got injured I’m pretty sure our starting back 3 would be Sevelj Gallagher and Graham with everyone playing in their favoured position. 
I’ve seen a few people righting Sevelj off as a centre back because of a goal we lost at Falkirk but I think that’s incredibly harsh as the striker had a run against his standing jump plus it was also his first game. 

With Strain out long term we really need to bring in another option for RCB or bring in an option at RWB and move Sevelj back. My preference would be another centre back as we have a few players who can cover RWB but not as much cover for the back 3. 

2 hours ago, Ascal said:

Second half of the season it was apparent we were being a lot more direct but I wouldn't necessarily attribute a lot of that down to Graham and McLellan, it was pretty clear that they were being told to get the ball up field as quickly as possible by the manager. 

I would pick McClelland over Holt aswell but is that really saying much? 

If McClelland can't get a game for St Johnstone who had one of their worst seasons in a very long time then it sort of it tells it's own story about his ability at this level. I don't think he particularly stood out for us but he came in and done the basics well enough but I  would definitely be looking for better quality if we want to do well in this league. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

39 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Sevelj was brought in to be exactly that player and if Strain hadn’t got injured I’m pretty sure our starting back 3 would be Sevelj Gallagher and Graham with everyone playing in their favoured position. 
I’ve seen a few people righting Sevelj off as a centre back because of a goal we lost at Falkirk but I think that’s incredibly harsh as the striker had a run against his standing jump plus it was also his first game. 

With Strain out long term we really need to bring in another option for RCB or bring in an option at RWB and move Sevelj back. My preference would be another centre back as we have a few players who can cover RWB but not as much cover for the back 3. 

Aye I think once Sevvy is more up to speed with the pace of the game here he'll probably be first choice RCB but again cover is definitely required there although that said I think Harding should be grasping the opportunity to step up.

Would love to see all the academy lads do well tbf.

8 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Yeah I feel like being in one of the best teams in a lower division probably suits him. Hes just so slow in the top flight that a striker just has to stand a yard onside, see the ball played over the top, and know he'll get to it before McClelland.

Stop me if you've heard it before but Luton Town message boards seem to think Allan Campbell to United is a thing again...

Probably the same rumour being recycled over and over till he actually signs for someone 

9 hours ago, Ascal said:

Stop me if you've heard it before but Luton Town message boards seem to think Allan Campbell to United is a thing again...

Probably the same rumour being recycled over and over till he actually signs for someone 

Moved on from that, too expensive

2 hours ago, wardy83 said:

I assumed the signing of Odada put an end to going after Campbell considering what his wage demands will be also. Then we have Docherty working his way back aswell which will hopefully be like a new signing and O'Donnell might be expected to fill in when required if he doesn't go out on loan.

Have you heard any info on other potential incomings?

My main thoughts are:

Centre forward we have two physical strikers in VDS and Moult but don't have a wee nippy pacey type striker so ideally could do with one if we need to switch up Plan A.

Trap, Fotheringham, Forbes, Thomson, Shak, Middleton seem to be the ones that we will be using as our wide forwards so business is sorted here.

Main priority has got to be the defence, in particular a mobile centre half and a RWB considering Strain's historic injury woes. He seems to be made of glass so even when he does return you can see him getting another injury. 

2 hours ago, wardy83 said:

Money wasn’t the issue as we made him a very good offer which I have on good authority we had a good chance of getting him.  The fact he’s still without a club is probably one to watch. I do agree we have reinforcements in midfield so maybe not a priority now 

19 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Money wasn’t the issue as we made him a very good offer which I have on good authority we had a good chance of getting him.  The fact he’s still without a club is probably one to watch. I do agree we have reinforcements in midfield so maybe not a priority now 

Priority now a centre back?