3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think of the two Adeboyega will be better he's at least shown some technical ability 🤔🤣

That's half the issue. He was trying to demonstrate technical abilities when he should be clearing it.

I think there Prem/Championship reserves come up here and have no understanding of how quick and physical the game is.

Amazingly some of them end up having half decent Championship careers but many end up in the National Leagues.

Underneath the top Championship teams the drop is huge.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

That's half the issue. He was trying to demonstrate technical abilities when he should be clearing it.

I think there Prem/Championship reserves come up here and have no understanding of how quick and physical the game is.

Amazingly some of them end up having half decent Championship careers but many end up in the National Leagues.

Yup, won't disagree with that at all. I think I've seen enough of Manny that he'll be capable enough. His second half performance against County showed that for me.

I've got loads of English mates and the pish they rip out of Scottish football is unbelievable, I've got a constant stream of ammo because of what you've said. You rarely see loanees do amazing up here unless they've got certain qualities.

If you can get a quick physical and technical player up here you are golden. The standard is much much higher than most expect though.

13 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not my interpretation. Goodwin did all the things you mention and then Watt produced a good season and, by all accounts, was a good influence around the club.

I actually have a fair amount of sympathy for Tony Watt - after his loan stint at St Mirren, he really hasn't done a lot wrong (on the park, at least).  After becoming vice captain he had a good season (and I feel the same about Middleton - regardless of opposition, he had the most assists in the Championship...) and was a big part in us getting up at the first time of asking. 

I know his pre-season performances were a bit lacklustre, but he was hardly alone in that - if anything, Sibbald looked far worse and seems to have got away without any real criticism at all.

13 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Tony Watt, all round stupid transfer and waste of money.

Said it at the time, absolute brain donor stuff to pay the fee we did for him.

IMO.

Hard to argue with any of that - there was no way he was ever going to improve on the purple patch he was on when we signed him.  Our thread from that time was full of Arabs saying the same, just a pity the club's management were looking to "make a statement".  If my 25 years of watching United has taught me anything, it is that when we "make a statement" it rarely has a good outcome... 

Motherwell have played an absolute blinder here - somehow convinced us to shell out for him mid-season, then got him back for a year in which they will only pay a fraction of his wages.  They bought low, sold high, then re-bought low... how I wish he could learn a thing or two from them.

11 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Should we start getting concerned about Odada becoming the second coming of Jordan Tillson?

At least Tilson could tackle - I've seen absolutely nothing from Obada to suggest he can do anything

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm just about willing to cut Goodwin slack that he was in a tight spot with Odada and Adegboyega but both are stinking.

It is still very early days for them both, but I have some real concerns about them both - shocked Adegboyega even made it past half-time on Saturday.  His first half was dreadful.

I think Odada is one of those signings you risk when you have a signing strategy like Goodwin/Utd. I’ve seen bits of him from Luton game and he looked diabolical - but you do think bee country etc and he needs time Now a few games in it seems he’s getting worse if anything so probably never gonna improve! 

if Goodwin keeps up his ratio of good to bad so far from this season you’ll be happy - but you need to accept the bad when it comes and hope Goodwin has the balls to not play them and shuffle them out the door. 

I think people are being incredibly harsh on Odada; even saw a forum post where he was likened to Walter Rojas.

While he wasn't impressive yesterday, he literally strolled through the game and was a clear cut above the level of player he was up against. And you could see that he wasn't giving 100% in terms of his intensity. How did that manifest itself? With some underhit passes here and there, but in the second half especially you could tell he knew where to stand and what to do at all times.

I've never played professional football, but what I've come to expect when watching it is that players will tend to adapt to the level they are playing it. Play a player in a reserve or friendly game where there really isn't much on the line and they'll look as good as that level in terms of the commitment they give.

Odada for me will be judged once he's match sharp and playing in the first team.

On the positive side a lot of the young players looked good.  Two centre halves were excellent, I don't think Cleall-Harding, unless he goes on loan, is far away from getting game time in the first team.  Full backs were pretty solid.  O'Donnell is class in midfield and Zeke Cameron showed a lot of skill.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Defenders at academies like Norwich are coached to pass it out from the back at each youth level so it's unsurprising when you see the same players in the SPL losing the ball in dangerous areas when looking to pass no matter how much pressure they are under. They're usually playing with better technical players that can hold onto the ball under pressure and keep possession aswell which will make them want to pass it out more. However up here, you are very limited in that regard IMO, the amount of times a ball is quickly turned over in midfield in this league is night and day compared to the English Championship.

Completely disagree about the drop off being huge below the top championship teams, most teams there getting 25k plus attendances and there's probably around 15 teams each season who can all make a push for the playoffs who can all beat each other. You always get the odd team or two who outperforms everyone else but that happens in every league.

16 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I think people are being incredibly harsh on Odada; even saw a forum post where he was likened to Walter Rojas.

While he wasn't impressive yesterday, he literally strolled through the game and was a clear cut above the level of player he was up against. And you could see that he wasn't giving 100% in terms of his intensity. How did that manifest itself? With some underhit passes here and there, but in the second half especially you could tell he knew where to stand and what to do at all times.

I've never played professional football, but what I've come to expect when watching it is that players will tend to adapt to the level they are playing it. Play a player in a reserve or friendly game where there really isn't much on the line and they'll look as good as that level in terms of the commitment they give.

Odada for me will be judged once he's match sharp and playing in the first team.

Are you 'TheDailyArab83' on X by any chance? 

Not sure if I agree with your assessment here. Goodwin is never going to start him unless he has shown he is upto speed busting a gut in the B games and dominating these matches which he has failed to do so far. 

Odada played in the same way as he did against Luton - slow paced, wanting too much time on the ball, mishit passes, failure to make the right decisions under pressure etc. Hopefully he gets upto speed as we are desperate for a CDM type player in this team.

17 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Are you 'TheDailyArab83' on X by any chance? 

Not sure if I agree with your assessment here. Goodwin is never going to start him unless he has shown he is upto speed busting a gut in the B games and dominating these matches which he has failed to do so far. 

Odada played in the same way as he did against Luton - slow paced, wanting too much time on the ball, mishit passes, failure to make the right decisions under pressure etc. Hopefully he gets upto speed as we are desperate for a CDM type player in this team.

No, I'm SGMilne on Twitter #ConsistentUserName 😁

But if he said that, he's right. 

I think any player coming in to Scotland from a slower paced league does need a minute to realise the speed is different, but he's a big physical lad and I would imagine he'll be able to adapt.

35 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Defenders at academies like Norwich are coached to pass it out from the back at each youth level so it's unsurprising when you see the same players in the SPL losing the ball in dangerous areas when looking to pass no matter how much pressure they are under. They're usually playing with better technical players that can hold onto the ball under pressure and keep possession aswell which will make them want to pass it out more. However up here, you are very limited in that regard IMO, the amount of times a ball is quickly turned over in midfield in this league is night and day compared to the English Championship.

Completely disagree about the drop off being huge below the top championship teams, most teams there getting 25k plus attendances and there's probably around 15 teams each season who can all make a push for the playoffs who can all beat each other. You always get the odd team or two who outperforms everyone else but that happens in every league.

Not sure about this. The English Championship, while obviously a higher standard, isn't exactly a haven for tika-taka. 

18 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

No, I'm SGMilne on Twitter #ConsistentUserName 😁

But if he said that, he's right. 

I think any player coming in to Scotland from a slower paced league does need a minute to realise the speed is different, but he's a big physical lad and I would imagine he'll be able to adapt.

Haha they pretty much said the same as yourself, well above the level, strolling about etc 

That does seem to happen to many player moving to this league, they get spooked by the level of intensity off the ball so he needs time to adapt but it is slightly concerning at the same time!

17 minutes ago, Beardy23 said:

aye, takes a while for these guys to adapt to the godforsaken level of hoofball

their careers have fallen to.

He was playing in the Danish 2nd tier and MLS reserves before us, to be fair.