7 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Do we actually have a full squad now?  Maybe a 3rd choice striker to let Stirton go out on loan?

I think we definitely need another striker to play at this level, someone with pace to give us a different option up there but can't imagine there will be a lot of budget left. 

Said this previously but Stirton needs a lot of development and improvement before he can be considered an option at this level, he would be best to go out and get games to work on this IMO

Middleton was good for us as a striker in our one decent season under Davidson, FWIW, but for whatever reason his head just seemed to go after that and he's not been the same since.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Middleton was good for us as a striker in our one decent season under Davidson, FWIW, but for whatever reason his head just seemed to go after that and he's not been the same since.

Yes, he played there for us on occasion and did not too bad, not sure why it's a difficult thought for butter, him being a back up striker if need be

6 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Usually indifferent to loan signings from England but Liverpool fans really seem to rate this kid. 

He’s had a very good pre-season. Even managed to make an impression as a very late sub at right back in the Sevilla game on Sunday. Made one of his trademark strong challenges. Think he’ll do well at United. 

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Are you serious man? Deluded. 

And in quotation to the other guy who replied.

I wasn't suggesting it.

I'd already said I think Goodwin might not bring in another striker and play one of them.

At no point did I suggest or say "I would use one of these guys".

But okay I'm f**king deluded 🤣

9 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm starting to think we won't sign one. The Nigerian boy might be in Goodwins thoughts as the pacy type striker we could use in rotation.

My previous comment in the discussion.

Sorry to all if it wasn't clear that my post after that wasn't alluding to the same train of thought.

11 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

if you sign 11/12 players they won't all be good

Indeed. Love this pic of the twats first signing splurge. Even though you're ostensibly meant to be signing players of a similar standard it can often range all the way from world-class to absolute dross with everything in-between.

article-2382417-1AFDEEDE000005DC-268_634x423.jpg

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think it's fair to say that Non deluded dee, and his various huffy incarnations,  is amongst the thickest, most rabid bell-ends on this site. If he's trying to take the piss, then chances are that he's missed the point and is simply bashing his face against the keyboard in the hope that something offensive results. A less worthwhile opinion it would be difficult to imagine.

Nae offence.

Oh deary me.

Glad you view your opinion in such high esteem. Not many others do on this site, let alone real life.

Sad act.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

And in quotation to the other guy who replied.

I wasn't suggesting it.

I'd already said I think Goodwin might not bring in another striker and play one of them.

At no point did I suggest or say "I would use one of these guys".

But okay I'm f**king deluded 🤣

The guys you mentioned are proper winger types though and this is not EAFC where you can just slot them into the striker role seamlessly all of a sudden. We need someone that knows how to play with their back to goal successfully. I can't see any of those options you mentioned doing that, they would get bullied playing centrally. 

37 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

The guys you mentioned are proper winger types though and this is not EAFC where you can just slot them into the striker role seamlessly all of a sudden. We need someone that knows how to play with their back to goal successfully. I can't see any of those options you mentioned doing that, they would get bullied playing centrally. 

I'm not arguing the toss here but Middleton has had a successful spell as a striker at a previous club. Fotheringham started out as a striker through the academy and many of the coaches from their think it's actually his best position. 

As far as I can see Meshack has played as a "forward".

I'm not even trying to be funny here but I don't think any of them would suit a backs to goal type striking set up and it would be really silly to use them as such, to me a pacy striker plays off the shoulder chasing balls over the top and wouldn't be directly physically competing with a defender too often.

Genuinely, what you are saying there seems a really weird angle to take and I don't understand why you've brought that argument to bear?

No one was suggesting them to be a physical target man, exactly the opposite in fact so I'm at a loss how to respond further.

8 hours ago, Glen Scotia said:

He will get a game for them, however, will it enhance his chances of a Scotland call up?

He talks about exactly that in this piece, and in more depth in the one we're publishing on Monday. Makes the point he was playing well in Portugal and still wasn't getting the call-up. 

Vancouver made it clear he'd be a central part of the team. 

I’m pretty happy with the squad, and ‘pretty happy’ is not a default setting for me.

The club has to balance the squad’s needs with available resources and we have certainly brought in more players of a higher and potentially higher calibre than I thought we would.  Given that we are likely to still be paying a high percentage of Watt’s salary the investment by the club is significantly higher than I thought it would be.

The only one of the new signings/loanees I have serious doubts about is Odada and hopefully he has just got off to a poor start; what’s important is that Goodwin doesn’t force him into the team if it becomes obvious that he isn’t good enough.

The two North Macedonians have been a revelation as has Ferry.  It’s a pity that Strain suffered an injury so early on but once again the club has provided cover with the lad from Liverpool.  Once Strain and Docherty are fit we are going to have a decent starting XI and a fairly strong bench.

Could be a make or break season for Ogden’s ongoing involvement and so long as we can achieve a mid-table position  I think our first year back in the Premiership will be deemed a success.

3 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Currently watching Man Utd v Fulham and they're currently playing with Bruno up top because their 2 first-team strikers aren't fit. Not sure he knows how to play with his back to goal successfully, but hey ho..

Now that's not to say that a club with the resources of Man Utd couldn't afford a third striker, and its not to say that I wouldn't want a third striker at United, but I'm just gently suggesting that those that pay the wages might not view such an asset as a priority.

Edited by ArabFC

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Currently watching Man Utd v Fulham and they're currently playing with Bruno up top because their 2 first-team strikers aren't fit. Not sure he knows how to play with his back to goal successfully, but hey ho..

Now that's not to say that a club with the resources of Man Utd couldn't afford a third striker, and its not to say that I wouldn't want a third striker at United, but I'm just gently suggesting that those that pay the wages might not view such an asset as a priority.

Bruno Fernandes is obviously a much better footballer than Middleton though and he was playing forward a lot at Sporting Lisbon. You can't compare the EPL to this league or Man Utd to us, they're playing a completely different system to the one we are playing. 

If you're looking at Middleton to be the striker in our current system then he wouldn't be playing on the shoulder, he would have to be dropping deep, playing central, having the strength to hold the ball up against the CB's. You would have to change the formation if you want him running in behind. 

12 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm not arguing the toss here but Middleton has had a successful spell as a striker at a previous club. Fotheringham started out as a striker through the academy and many of the coaches from their think it's actually his best position. 

As far as I can see Meshack has played as a "forward".

I'm not even trying to be funny here but I don't think any of them would suit a backs to goal type striking set up and it would be really silly to use them as such, to me a pacy striker plays off the shoulder chasing balls over the top and wouldn't be directly physically competing with a defender too often.

Genuinely, what you are saying there seems a really weird angle to take and I don't understand why you've brought that argument to bear?

No one was suggesting them to be a physical target man, exactly the opposite in fact so I'm at a loss how to respond further.

Any player that is playing centrally (strikers) will always be physically competing with the opposition, it's a massive part of their game to be able to handle the ball under constant pressure and you cant just expect our defence and midfield to lump the ball into the channels for them to run onto all game because it suits their skill set rather than the teams. I've explained my reasons further in my previous post.