13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Were there stories of impending doom? 

We cut the budget by £2.6m last season and have since released 20 odd players this summer. There should be plenty of scope to bring in a few guys on decent wages. The fact we can offer more than St Mirren is not really remarkable given the relative size of the two clubs. 

Maybe I'm over egging it. Pretty sure earlier in the year there was reports of huge losses and big problems if you didn't come straight back up.

You're right that it shouldn't be remarkable, it shows that United are prepared to spend a few quid though. There's no way a right back with fitness issues is going to be your marquee signing.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You should be more worried about why it's happened, tbh.

A couple of red flags with him once you go past his ability.

The worry here for Utd is that they've spunked an absolute shed load on someone with well documented fitness issues. He's usually blowing out of his arse after 60mins.

Just now, houston_bud said:

Maybe I'm over egging it. Pretty sure earlier in the year there was reports of huge losses and big problems if you didn't come straight back up.

You're right that it shouldn't be remarkable, it shows that United are prepared to spend a few quid though. There's no way a right back with fitness issues is going to be your marquee signing.

Aye, it's been a painful period for the owner, but that's on him. Strain looks to be on par with the other outfield signings thus far and probably less of a coup than Will Ferry.

1 minute ago, mcginns said:

The worry here for Utd is that they've spunked an absolute shed load on someone with well documented fitness issues. He's usually blowing out of his arse after 60mins.

Couple of points: 

1. A "shed load" refers to something which has fallen off a lorry;

2. Neither you nor I have the faintest idea how much United are paying to this free transfer signing and you've just pulled this entirely out of your arse.

He was probably on about £1,500 a week at St Mirren and may be getting a little bump in his wages moving to a bigger club, say an extra couple of hundred quid. I've just pulled that out of my arse though, tbf.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Couple of points: 

2. Neither you nor I have the faintest idea how much United are paying to this free transfer signing and you've just pulled this entirely out of your arse.

He was probably on about £1,500 a week at St Mirren and may be getting a little bump in his wages moving to a bigger club, say an extra couple of hundred quid. I've just pulled that out of my arse though, tbf.

I'd say it's probably over 2k if he's been on 1500 at St Mirren 

7 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'd say it's probably over 2k if he's been on 1500 at St Mirren 

Yeah, quite possibly. An entirely unremarkable sum for a player in the Scottish top flight. Maybe he's jumped from £1,500 to £2,000. A touch more than Logan Chalmers has been getting for not playing for United for the last FOUR seasons.

11 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

any more imminent??

Not that I have heard buddy. They are really trying to keep things hush in the background and moving about business nicely. For example I had no clue about the Croatian name and that’s rare. Strain I knew was close before he went for international but many were in for him. 

do think that might see Grimshaw moving on. 

Confident the club will get the other signings right. Would like a good striker and defensive mid 

1 minute ago, Fife Arab said:

Not that I have heard buddy. They are really trying to keep things hush in the background and moving about business nicely. For example I had no clue about the Croatian name and that’s rare. Strain I knew was close before he went for international but many were in for him. 

do think that might see Grimshaw moving on. 

Confident the club will get the other signings right. Would like a good striker and defensive mid 

Oh no.  That is such a shame.  How will we survive?

32 minutes ago, wardy83 said:

In other signing news.

We've  just hired a new physio, from over the road

Kevin Milne. We signed him from Arbroath the season before.

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Good signing for you guys. Strain is quality no doubt about it. 

However he does have fitness issues. If Goodwin can manage his fitness then you have a player

It may be an entirely different issue but for the whole of Sibbald's first season at United he looked absolutely shattered after 60 minutes. That seems to be completely fixed and last season he was a machine. Still going strong every week, right to the last minute. Sometimes it's an illness thing, sometimes it's just about getting the right fitness regime. 

6 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Couple of points: 

He urgently needs to pull a new agent out of someone's arse if that's the case.

The narrative coming out of Utd would suggest more than a coupla hundred quid a week bump up but I understand why you're playing it down.

"Bringing Ryan to Tannadice represents an exciting and forward-thinking piece of business"

Edited by mcginns

5 hours ago, mcginns said:

He urgently needs to pull a new agent out of someone's arse if that's the case.

The narrative coming out of Utd would suggest more than a coupla hundred quid a week bump up but I understand why you're playing it down.

"Bringing Ryan to Tannadice represents an exciting and forward-thinking piece of business"

Ah, I see what you're saying. Most signings are announced with a heavy emphasis on how dull and regressive the move is but this time they've gone the other way, which is code for "expensive". 

think-about-it-use-your-brain.gif

This window is going pretty well I must say. 

Getting Trapanovski in this coming week apparently. And Walton is still a live option. Would like him in pronto. 

Another 2 or 3 in, including another decent striker would be ideal. 

Edited by Groot