20 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

It's just another cyclical formation in football, majority of teams at the euros were playing this type of formation. Next season teams will revert back to a 443 or something else. 

IMO It doesn't really work well for us at our level as we don't have enough technical players that can keep control of the ball and pass it around, it's often very laboured with CB's passing it to one another for a while when the opposition gets 11 men behind the ball. 

Cheating c***s. 

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not if we play without a keeper.

I’d be willing to give it a try.  :(

I think you tried that the season before last and look how that ended. 

19 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm starting to get the vibe the recruitment is going to be a proper mess and some serious shoe horning is about to take place here.

If we go to a back 4 do Ferry and Strain play comfortably as fullbacks? They are both quite attacking players.

Does Goodwin see the wing backs providing width and United will go with attacking midfielders as part of the front 3.

Lot of questions to be answered at the moment and I'm not sure I'm going to like the outcome.

Can't comment too much as I haven't seen Ferry or Strain play yet, but the idea of signing players that can only play in the wing-back role is stark raving bonkers.

That's not to say that's not what we've gone and done.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I think you tried that the season before last and look how that ended. 

That’s not true, we had… oh… fair point.

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Can't comment too much as I haven't seen Ferry or Strain play yet, but the idea of signing players that can only play in the wing-back role is stark raving bonkers.

That's not to say that's not what we've gone and done.

I mean you would assume so but afaik Ferry is predominantly a LWB/LW so I wasn't too sure about him. Strain you would assume so given he's more of a natural defender.

I've got a bad feeling about all this tbh. I'm sensing catastrophfuck.

All Saints fans will have their opinion on Strain but for me he is a poor defender and gets done too easily. A right back he is not. Going forward the lad is top drawer and unplayable on his day and also tremendous with a dead ball. There is also the issue of him blowing out his arse every week after 60 mins and rumours (yes I know!) are his party lifestyle is to blame for this issue. He's an asset at RWB on his day however.

All that said, I'd much rather we still had him. Maybe you can pass my info to JG so he can manage him properly! 😛

On 14/07/2024 at 09:24, Butters Scotch said:

It's just another cyclical formation in football, majority of teams at the euros were playing this type of formation. Next season teams will revert back to a 443 or something else. 

IMO It doesn't really work well for us at our level as we don't have enough technical players that can keep control of the ball and pass it around, it's often very laboured with CB's passing it to one another for a while when the opposition gets 11 men behind the ball. 

No goalkeeper?

On 14/07/2024 at 14:34, Fife Arab said:

Horrific yesterday. 

Anyway…

Heard we have made a good offer to Alan Campbell. Wanted man though. 

That’d be a season altering signing that.  Unless he’s suddenly fallen off a cliff form wise, he’d surely be looking at a more secure move?  

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

That’d be a season altering signing that.  Unless he’s suddenly fallen off a cliff form wise, he’d surely be looking at a more secure move?  

More secure? Meaning a permanent deal, a club more likely to stay in the Premiership or a more financially solvent club? Or something else?

Its absolutely baffling you have fans who genuinely believe you have any chance of signing Allan Campbell.

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I mean you would assume so but afaik Ferry is predominantly a LWB/LW so I wasn't too sure about him. Strain you would assume so given he's more of a natural defender.

I've got a bad feeling about all this tbh. I'm sensing catastrophfuck.

My worry currently is that Goodwin pursues a formation which just doesn't work and then he either wastes too much time before ditching it,  or he doesn't ditch it and eventually gets the boot. Of course, there's always the possibility that it does work, I suppose.

On the plus side, I think the new signings look pretty good so if he does make an arse of it, he should at least be leaving a decent squad behind.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its absolutely baffling you have fans who genuinely believe you have any chance of signing Allan Campbell.

Third attempt and that's as good as it gets? Not worth the effort, imo.

We've signed better than Allan Campbell though. Many, many times. Unless I'm missing something,  he's just another decent Scottish prospect who has left to go play in the English leagues and then had to come back up the road to kick on again. Happens all the time.

13 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Third attempt and that's as good as it gets? Not worth the effort, imo.

We've signed better than Allan Campbell though. Many, many times. Unless I'm missing something,  he's just another decent Scottish prospect who has left to go play in the English leagues and then had to come back up the road to kick on again. Happens all the time.

Third attempt?

Campbell is just a year or so off being a key part of a side promoted to the EPL, that pedigree down there, and his age (26), means hes not similar to the ones who fail down there and skulk back up the road. I'd be surprised a fair whack of Championship clubs down there want him and are willing to pay more than most Scottish clubs could get near. If he fails at his next club then it becomes more realistic, but he won't return here yet.