8 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not scoring points, bud. I'm quite happy to accept that you used the term without malicious intent. We're all flawed. I think it was a misstep but you've clarified that no offence was intended and it's not for me to argue otherwise.

I'm simply pointing out that the term is widely considered a slur in context. If you were to continue posting using the term in a derogatory manner then I'd probably say you were a homophobic arsehole but you haven't done that thus far and I hope that you won't. 

It’s a fucking tightrope these days mate - I can’t keep up but like almost everyone I’m trying. 

I’d definitely accept I knew fairy was a negative term in the context I was using it - I was being critical of his perceived dig on the park - but that was all to do with his footballing attributes not his sexual identity. I now understand that to others it has very different meaning so I need to be a bit more careful - my brain doesn’t look at the negative in everything (except Utd) so I’m perhaps guilty of being naive to that. 

if anything this little shit show has hopefully shown it’s not black and white and that seeing a word and triggering and immediately labeling someone a homophobe - then threatening to report them like a little school grass - is also not an appropriate response, is in no way the correct approach to best spread the good word that person is trying to preach - hopefully we can all learn and move on together. 

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, this is pish. You've no interest in debating the subject and your response to my genuine and honest appraisal of your earlier post is to simply repeat the same surface level deflection. I did offer to withdraw in good faith but you pretended that this indicated an unwillingness to engage with your argument. 

If you can summon up an alternative explanation for what the term "fairy" might mean when describing a footballer criticised as soft or cowardly without the explicit, or widely understood, inference that the player is gay then I am all ears.

As I pointed out, you are making assumptions. You think you are morally right, I disagree with that supposition.

As an aside, in the USA some folk call soccer players 'grass fairies'. I'm not summoning that, or any of the other uses of fairy: the examples I have given are actual. We'll have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think that's probably enough from me on this one. I can't decide whether those defending the use of that term are self denying bigots, or simply lost in a bygone age. Either way, I'm struggling to respond in a civil manner to this nonsense.

Or maybe many people are sick to the back teeth of being told how to think, feel and behave. I respect your right to challenge the use of the word "fairy" but would like to know how offended you feel by the use of the term Dirty Arab b*****ds (DAB)?  I'm no angel when it comes to using such terms and often refer to Dees as blue nosed b*****ds (BNB's).  Many people (myself included) still use language that is now regarded as homophobic, racist etc. but most people don't set out to hurt people's feelings - they simply talk without thinking of the potential implications.  It's a human thing - we tie ourselves in knots trying to do the right thing but soon get hung out to dry when we slip up.

13 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

As I pointed out, you are making assumptions. You think you are morally right, I disagree with that supposition.

As an aside, in the USA some folk call soccer players 'grass fairies'. I'm not summoning that, or any of the other uses of fairy: the examples I have given are actual. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Aye, another aside. That's the problem. You've made no effort to address the matter at hand, which has been reiterated several times over the last few pages and which everyone else on this thread seems to have acknowledged. 

Grass fairies, chess fairies, thistle fairies, wasp fairies, granddaughter fairies, all obliquely referenced but seemingly no awareness of the dread homosexual fairies. Shock! Does such a thing even exist? Surely not, but if so we wouldn't be afraid.

There probably will come a day when calling you lot DABs is inappropriate. For anyone not familiar with the context of Scottish football, it can easily be misconstrued.

And actually, looking at the historical context the nickname of 'Arabs' apparently comes from with the whole putting sand down on the pitch stuff, it probably is a bit inappropriate when looking at the big picture.

But until the day that it officially gets frowned upon, I'll always call you DABs, you fucking DABs.

2 minutes ago, ArabWurzel said:

Or maybe many people are sick to the back teeth of being told how to think, feel and behave. I respect your right to challenge the use of the word "fairy" but would like to know how offended you feel by the use of the term Dirty Arab b*****ds (DAB)?  I'm no angel when it comes to using such terms and often refer to Dees as blue nosed b*****ds (BNB's).  Many people (myself included) still use language that is now regarded as homophobic, racist etc. but most people don't set out to hurt people's feelings - they simply talk without thinking of the potential implications.  It's a human thing - we tie ourselves in knots trying to do the right thing but soon get hung out to dry when we slip up.

Ffs, I've not set myself up as the arbiter of internet morality but if you're able to recognise the homophobic, racist, etc., language that you're using then hopefully you'll able to moderate that usage. Although, I'm getting rather mixed messages from  that first line.

You be you, though. 

17 minutes ago, ArabWurzel said:

I find it quite easy to go through life without using homophobic or racist language.  Maybe you just need to try a little bit harder.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I find it quite easy to go through life without using homophobic or racist language.  Maybe you just need to try a little bit harder.

But you don't mind telling other people how to live their lives.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

There probably will come a day when calling you lot DABs is inappropriate. For anyone not familiar with the context of Scottish football, it can easily be misconstrued.

And actually, looking at the historical context the nickname of 'Arabs' apparently comes from with the whole putting sand down on the pitch stuff, it probably is a bit inappropriate when looking at the big picture.

But until the day that it officially gets frowned upon, I'll always call you DABs, you fucking DABs.

To quote my own post - a supposed 'St Johnstone fan' is trying to create a wee piley on about this very topic:

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I don't really mind you (all that much) as a poster, Granny, but you're coming across as a bit of a dick here. 

41 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Can someone set it up here so that only FifeArab can post on this thread, preferably with good news on transfers?

😂👍🏼

someone please make a transfers/news only thread. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't really mind you (all that much) as a poster, Granny, but you're coming across as a bit of a dick here. 

I don’t think it’s dickish to suggest someone need not use racist or homophobic language.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think it’s dickish to suggest someone need not use racist or homophobic language.

And if that's all you'd said it would've been fine and dandy but you couldn't resist expressing it in a patronising way.