Line up face Germany

40 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Personally I think McCrorie gets the nod at RWB against Germany  and Ralston against Switzerland & Hungary.

I don't think there's any chance that Clarke will field Christie there without having previously tried it.

He is not Craig Levein

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In what way did Ralston not convince against Finland? I (and most others) thought he did just fine. He was also very good in the 0-0 away to Ukraine.

He’ll be just fine at RWB. He’s no Hickey but he’s a mile ahead of McCrorie in my opinion. 

Christie to play RWB for the first time in his puff at the opening game of the Euros is farcical.

Exactly, we've done this previously putting round pegs in square holes (with McTominay and Tierney) without success.

You'd be asking miracles from Christie to carry this out for the first timer in the biggest match of his career.

It's a small step to sticking  McKenna up front to rough things up a bit.

Although we might see this if Derek McInnes ever becomes manager...

Adams

McGinn.                        McTominay

McGregor.                    Gilmour

Robertson Tierney Henry Porteous McCrorie

Gunn

Quite clearly McTominay isn’t going to play right wing back.  I have absolutely no recollection of him ever having done so.  It’ll be Ralston

The only two positions up for grabs against Germany at least is one of the centre back slots and whether McTominay or Christie gets the more advanced midfield role.  

53 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Exactly, we've done this previously putting round pegs in square holes (with McTominay and Tierney) without success.

You'd be asking miracles from Christie to carry this out for the first timer in the biggest match of his career.

It's a small step to sticking  McKenna up front to rough things up a bit.

Although we might see this if Derek McInnes ever becomes manager...

Are you suggesting that Kieran Tierney's current role is not a success?

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Quite clearly McTominay isn’t going to play right wing back.  I have absolutely no recollection of him ever having done so.  It’ll be Ralston

The only two positions up for grabs against Germany at least is one of the centre back slots and whether McTominay or Christie gets the more advanced midfield role.  

I agree that it'll be Ralston, though I wouldn't put my house on it.

I think it'll be Adams over Shankland, but again I'm probably about 70-30.

I think it'll be Porteous or Hanley beside Hendry. Suspect Porteous might edge it. But that one's close.

And I think it'll be two from Gilmour, Christie and McTominay, but definitely McTominay if he's fully fit. I really can't decide between Gilmour and Christie.

52 minutes ago, allyo said:

I agree that it'll be Ralston, though I wouldn't put my house on it.

I think it'll be Adams over Shankland, but again I'm probably about 70-30.

I think it'll be Porteous or Hanley beside Hendry. Suspect Porteous might edge it. But that one's close.

And I think it'll be two from Gilmour, Christie and McTominay, but definitely McTominay if he's fully fit. I really can't decide between Gilmour and Christie.

Is it remotely possible McGinn drops out if McTominay is fit?

I’m in agreement with the rest of what you’ve said except no way Shankland starts after his lacklustre performance on Friday 

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think McGinn's "talisman" status keeps him in.

But you could make a case for any 4 from 5 to be honest. 

I agree, but he has been off form by his earlier season standards for quite a while now.

Praying he curls in a cracker Friday night

19 minutes ago, allyo said:

It worked against England. Which I've now depressingly come to realise was our greatest ever night in tournament football. 

Holland 1978, ffs. We beat the best team in the world, something no-one else managed in 90 minutes in that tournament.

4 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Adams

McGinn.                        McTominay

McGregor.                    Gilmour

Robertson Tierney Henry Porteous McCrorie

Gunn

Ralston in for McCrorie and, barring injury/eccentric tactics, that is the lineup. Nudge McTominay into a forward support role, Gilmour back into a role supporting the back three, that's the starting 11.

Assuming both Hanley and McTominay are fit (which in Hanley's case is a big if):

Gunn

Ralston  Hendry  Hanley(Porteous)  Tierney  Robertson

McGregor  Gilmour

McTominay  McGinn

Adams

It's tight between Gilmour and Christie, purely because Christie can score goals while Gilmour has one goal in professional football and even that was in a friendly. But for a game as tough as Germany in Munich I think Clarke will prefer Gilmour's composure and control, his ball retention is much better. That said, Christie challenges harder out of possession. If McTominay's ability to last a full match is a concern then Christie would be a better option from the bench.

I can't remember Clarke not picking Hanley when fit, but between early March and the Gibraltar game he had 8 minutes on the pitch. IMO Clarke will call it depending on what Hanley and Porteous do in training now.

It might be useful to play McGinn up in Kroos' face. He has the energy to disrupt his distribution and it would put him in useful positions to peel off and support attacks well up the pitch. Germany don't have great options at defensive midfield, they probably think they don't need it though. Given that most of our goals come from late arriving midfielders this is an opportunity for us.

Our right side gives me the fear against Musiala but we have no better options.

We don't have the defensive ability or the mentality to sit deep and absorb, we're going to have to try to get on the ball and play on the front foot when we can. I don't think this is going to be boring.

25 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Assuming both Hanley and McTominay are fit (which in Hanley's case is a big if):

Gunn

Ralston  Hendry  Hanley(Porteous)  Tierney  Robertson

McGregor  Gilmour

McTominay  McGinn

Adams

It's tight between Gilmour and Christie, purely because Christie can score goals while Gilmour has one goal in professional football and even that was in a friendly. But for a game as tough as Germany in Munich I think Clarke will prefer Gilmour's composure and control, his ball retention is much better. That said, Christie challenges harder out of possession. If McTominay's ability to last a full match is a concern then Christie would be a better option from the bench.

I can't remember Clarke not picking Hanley when fit, but between early March and the Gibraltar game he had 8 minutes on the pitch. IMO Clarke will call it depending on what Hanley and Porteous do in training now.

It might be useful to play McGinn up in Kroos' face. He has the energy to disrupt his distribution and it would put him in useful positions to peel off and support attacks well up the pitch. Germany don't have great options at defensive midfield, they probably think they don't need it though. Given that most of our goals come from late arriving midfielders this is an opportunity for us.

Our right side gives me the fear against Musiala but we have no better options.

We don't have the defensive ability or the mentality to sit deep and absorb, we're going to have to try to get on the ball and play on the front foot when we can. I don't think this is going to be boring.

Musiala plays RW for Germany so will be against our left side. Mind you, Florian Wirtz against our right side equally gives me the fear. 

9 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Holland 1978, ffs. We beat the best team in the world, something no-one else managed in 90 minutes in that tournament.

I made that very point to Ricky Villa when I played 18 holes of golf with him a couple of weeks ago.

How about that for a bit of name dropping!! 😄

47 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Musiala plays RW for Germany so will be against our left side. Mind you, Florian Wirtz against our right side equally gives me the fear. 

Oh, I thought Sané played RW.

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Oh, I thought Sané played RW.

Nah Sane won’t start. Their usual team is

Neuer

Kimmich - Tah - Rudiger - Mittelstadt

Kroos - Andrich

Musiala - Gundogan - Wirtz

Havertz