Line up face Germany

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Nah Sane won’t start. Their usual team is

Neuer

Kimmich - Tah - Rudiger - Mittelstadt

Kroos - Andrich

Musiala - Gundogan - Wirtz

Havertz

I'll take your word for it. How confident is that, given they've not had a competitive games since the last World Cup?

Musiala and Kimmich are going to get the runaround from Robertson, Tierney and McGinn. 

21 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Ralston will be on the same side as Florian Wirtz. Forgot about attacking, we need the best defensive and the most intelligent and the most disciplined player at rwb. I don't care if he he's right footed, left footed, two left footed, etc.

Your answer to this is Ryan Christie?? Incredible.

It's worth remembering that McTominay became the best player in the world for about 7 games in the qualifiers playing in midfield with plenty scope to get forward, so any chat about him playing RWB can GTF.

Call me daft, but I'd actually risk Tierney at right back because we're seriously struggling in that position, and I reckon he'd be good enough to plug that hole that every team in our group will be looking to exploit, especially if we risk playing the hapless Ralston there, the mind boggles! 

Tierney right back, Christie in front of him, and this offers a more solid look to it for me, and if it doesn't work then we don't do it again.

7 minutes ago, Galajambo said:

Call me daft, but I'd actually risk Tierney at right back because we're seriously struggling in that position, and I reckon he'd be good enough to plug that hole that every team in our group will be looking to exploit, especially if we risk playing the hapless Ralston there, the mind boggles! 

Tierney right back, Christie in front of him, and this offers a more solid look to it for me, and if it doesn't work then we don't do it again.

Who realistically drops out of midfield for Christie, though?

I like Christie but McGinn, Gilmour, McGregor and McTominay are all much better options in the centre.

Edited by Gaz

IF the Robertson scare ends up keeping him out then I’d go 4-2-3-1. Back three has never worked well whenever KT isn’t in it and I’m not sure I like KT LCB, Taylor LWB either. Also an extra attacking player solves the selection dilemma.

Gunn

Ralston-RCB-LCB-Tierney

Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-McTominay-McGinn

Adams

Gunn

Ralston Hendry Hanley Tierney Robertson

McGinn McGregor Gilmour

McTominay

Adams

I do think if Robertson was out I'd rather see a back four and just bringing in McTominay to replace him from the other night, rather than picking Taylor at LWB. That's obviously not an experiment though, it's something we've done before when we don't have both.

However, McKenna played the LCB role quite well out in Spain so it could just be him in the middle and Tierney LWB.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I do think if Robertson was out I'd rather see a back four and just bringing in McTominay to replace him from the other night, rather than picking Taylor at LWB. That's obviously not an experiment though, it's something we've done before when we don't have both.

However, McKenna played the LCB role quite well out in Spain so it could just be him in the middle and Tierney LWB.

The back 3 system basically exists to accommodate Tierney and Robertson. Seen quite often when either isn't available a shift back to a back 4.

I don't think it's that important who starts. It's horses for courses in all of the debates. It depends what our strategy is and what the analysis of Germany turned up. 

Play like we did against Spain and Norway: Hanley, Christie & McCrorie.  Play how we did against Holland: Gilmour, Hendry & Ralston. That sort of thing. There isnt a right or wrong, either could work or not work until the end of the game where Harry hindsight pops up: "Aye, but should've done this".

I think he'll be closer to the former in a competitive game, but you never know - he might decide trying to keep the Germans in their own half and defend a big space in behind is preferable to having Wirtz and Musiala on our 18 yard line.

Edited by 2426255

I think for this type of game it goes oppostion analysis. match plan. team selection.

For Finland they probably did next to no prep work. Folk always want the best XI: "pick yer best team". The best team changes depending on the game.

Edited by 2426255

I suspect that Gilmour will be the unlucky one who gets dropped with the midfield four being:

McGregor McTominay

McGinn Christie

although I'd rather see Christie dropped and McTominay further forward.

5 hours ago, Galajambo said:

McCrorie RWB then