Line up face Germany

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think for this type of game it goes oppostion analysis. match plan. team selection.

For Finland they probably did next to no prep work. Folk always want the best XI: "pick yer best team". The best team changes depending on the game.

Depends how good the team is

4 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I suspect that Gilmour will be the unlucky one who gets dropped with the midfield four being:

McGregor McTominay

McGinn Christie

although I'd rather see Christie dropped and McTominay further forward.

Gilmour won't be dropped for Christie. He'll play the deepest out of the midfield likely with McTominay and McGinn further up with McGregor helping deeper than those two.

Gilmour is exactly the player we need against the more fluid and better sides.

11 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Almost certainly just handbags, but wouldn’t you just love it if this was the start of a major implosion? 

Only for the first game then a proper love in for their next 2 games taking 4 or 5 off both other teams 

16 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gilmour won't be dropped for Christie. He'll play the deepest out of the midfield likely with McTominay and McGinn further up with McGregor helping deeper than those two.

Gilmour is exactly the player we need against the more fluid and better sides.

I'm not saying Gilmour won't start. All I'm saying is Scotland might decide the best approach is not to try and beat the German press. Without Dykes that's maybe not as obvious an option, but they might just pop the ball over the press into McGinn, McTominay or Adams and try and pick up from there. We did that away in Spain (and Norway), controlling the game without the ball, and it was okay, but like I said we had Dykes for those games. If we do that then having Gilmour in the team becomes less important.

Alternatively it may play out more like England v Scotland at Euro-2020 or The Netherlands v Scotland in March. The point I'm making is that there isn't necessarily a 'best' approach. It's just risk and reward, horses for courses. The decision making will come from things that we as fans won't be looking much into. Any of those approaches could work and all have shown success in previous matches. I think it just comes down primarily to how our players perform on the night and if things go for us or at least don't go against us. 

I don't think who starts is that important. It's definitely going to be guided by our approach to the game. Maybe a mix, get the balance right in the areas where we want to play with the ball and the areas where it's assessed as being a risk. 

Edited by 2426255

On 09/06/2024 at 20:03, Savage Henry said:

Quite clearly McTominay isn’t going to play right wing back.  I have absolutely no recollection of him ever having done so.  It’ll be Ralston

The only two positions up for grabs against Germany at least is one of the centre back slots and whether McTominay or Christie gets the more advanced midfield role.  

He played there for Man U under 21s. 

What's with the fascination with 5 at the back??? 

Let's get two proper wingers on- not wing backs- Tierney and Robertson decent but not worth turning the world upside to squeeze them in.

My team: 4 1 4 1

GK (don't care who)

Right back (don't care who)            Big lump CH              Big lump CH                Tierney (Robertson bench)

Gilmour 

Christie (or Armstrong)                           McTominey                     McGinn                        Forest

The new wee nippy guy with a scottish grandad

9 minutes ago, bobby brewster said:

Let's get two proper wingers on- not wing backs- Tierney and Robertson decent but not worth turning the world upside to squeeze them in.

My team: 4 1 4 1

GK (don't care who)

Right back (don't care who)            Big lump CH              Big lump CH                Tierney (Robertson bench)

Gilmour 

Christie (or Armstrong)                           McTominey                     McGinn                        Forest

The new wee nippy guy with a scottish grandad

A first post on the forum with a line up without Robertson or McGregor in it and calling for 2 proper wingers but only naming 1. At least it can only get better from here.

Edited by CM.

4 minutes ago, CM. said:

A first post on the forum with a line up without Robertson or McGregor in it. At least it can only get better from here.

It will defintely get better with my proposed selection! This Tierney/Robertson nonsense has to stop.

56 minutes ago, bobby brewster said:

It will defintely get better with my proposed selection! This Tierney/Robertson nonsense has to stop.

Another tactician. Fantastic. Can someone put this guys ideas in the pile along with McTominay as a false-9 and Christie at right wing back.

I don't think I'll ever understand the obsession with 'proper' wingers, 433 and all of that. I get folk see that as attacking and therefore exciting, but you can play a 343 or 352 and be equally attacking. We put in over 35 crosses against Finland in 90 minutes, 8 of them were successful and we scored twice (One via a Tierney/Robertson link up).

We have good width in the team. It's no big secret, opposition teams know exactly what we're trying to do and still they can't always stop it. That in itself tells you how effective it is. It's basically a world class left sided attack so it's no wonder we try to accommodate that. Unless you're German I don't see why you'd replace that with James Forrest attempting to beat a man 1v1.

Edited by 2426255

29 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

Often the shape is more like a 3 4 3 against weaker opponents and even at times within harder games, and I genuinely think if it was recognized people would have a completely different attitude towards the current set up.

Often we go to a back-4 within the game anyway, Rotate the back-5 around which pushes one of the wing backs all the way up into a position traditionally occupied by a winger. We do that all the time in games.

France - Scotland (In this case, Greg Taylor)

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, bobby brewster said:

Eh?

Robertson was amazing in a more advanced role on Friday and Tierney can overlap and play the same role.

Absolutely no way to scrap that set-up.

Robertson has been criticised for his performances for Scotland in the past, but this past campaign he has really stepped it up and provided a number of important assists. 

As for dropping one of him/Tierney to accommodate James Forrest, 😆

I'm doubtful of McTominay's fitness and wouldn't risk him against Germany other than some minutes off the bench.  We will need him for the other two games.  I also thought that Christie was exceptional against Finland and deserves a start.  Gilmour has to start as well; as another poster stated above with Dykes out we are going to need to keep a hold of the ball a bit more. 

I think I'd go Porteous over Hanley as well but it's a really close one.  Hanley is probably the better player but looked a bit off full sharpness against Finland.  I'd pick:

Gunn

Porteous - Hendry - Tierney

Ralston                                                               Robertson

Gilmour - McGregor

Christie                                  McGinn

Adams

Edited by Brechin City FC

2 hours ago, bobby brewster said:

Euro 2020 and Euro 2024.

If you want to revert back to the system that saw us fail to qualify for the tournaments in 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2018 then fair enough. It might be 10th time lucky.

Scotland have qualified for the previous four tournaments with the current system.

Scotland have English Championship/SPL standard centerbacks who can't play at the top level in a four. It's been like this for 24 years.

But hey, it's your opinion. I'm sure we'll go back to a four when Clarke leaves and we spend another 20 years watching tournaments from the outside.

Hope that'll make you happy.

10 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Before Friday I would have had Hanley in if fit but  he looked off it. To be honest, I think bar Tierney all of our centre backs are much and such and unfortunately a bit Meh!

Exactly Macca! We could have one less lump at the back to get proper, beat a full back width further up the pitch, or an extra midfielder. No brainer.

Since we are looking at wild ideas - SSC to pull a blinder and stick Hanley upfront playing the BDD role and ragdoll the German defense for 90 mins winning every ariel ball and firing countless knockdowns to the forward pushing McGinn & McTominay