Premier Sports TV Deal

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

How much does it cost for all the subscriptions required to watch Scottish football? Over the course of a season it must be more than the average cost of a Premiership season ticket.

To get the league games (I've tried to get figures that don't involved getting something like Sky TV, Virgin Media etc and also ignored the sort of discounts where its "X for 6 months then Y after that")...

Premier Sports - £120 for a year
Sky Sports (via NOW) - £35 per month (£420 per year)

For European fixtures..
TNT Sports £31 per month (£372 per year)

So about £912 per year for those three (probably chop a bit off if you cancel any subscriptions during the summer or stuff like that). You might need Amazon Prime as well and even for the stuff on channels like BBC and ITV you'll need your TV licence.

12 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

To get the league games (I've tried to get figures that don't involved getting something like Sky TV, Virgin Media etc and also ignored the sort of discounts where its "X for 6 months then Y after that")...

Premier Sports - £120 for a year
Sky Sports (via NOW) - £35 per month (£420 per year)

For European fixtures..
TNT Sports £31 per month (£372 per year)

So about £912 per year for those three (probably chop a bit off if you cancel any subscriptions during the summer or stuff like that). You might need Amazon Prime as well and even for the stuff on channels like BBC and ITV you'll need your TV licence.

It's absolutely nuts the cost to follow football now. 

Season ticket for Killie is best part of £450 now. If you follow Scotland it's another £40/50 for a membership then ticket costs on top. 

All before a pie/bovril or pint before the game.

Had to pay to Solidsport for the Killie Europe away games £12 a pop. Viaplay for the Scotland Games last year.

No wonder folk cancel and find other means to watch.

It's incredible how well crowds are doing atm when the price of everything is so high. 

14 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The Tory-est club in Scotland strikes again.

Our board like most up and down the county will be mostly Tory but Im not quite sure how a club refusing extra match host money as well as allowing the fans to have their favoured kick off time has anything to do with a Tory mindset. Most our home games sell out too so it’s not for gate receipts really either.

Edited by gannonball

6 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Sold out and actual attendance are two different things when it comes to OF fans.

I mean it literally happens all over the place but annoyingly they don’t let you sell your seat onwards even when the games sold out.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I mean it literally happens all over the place but annoyingly they don’t let you sell your seat onwards even when the games sold out.

I suppose when a fair number primarily buy their season ticket for two games a season then it may encourage that behaviour more.

Can only speak for my own club but we don't report our season ticket numbers as our starting base attendance regardless of how many are in the ground. Fire Brigade would probably have issues with that.

9 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

How much does it cost for all the subscriptions required to watch Scottish football? Over the course of a season it must be more than the average cost of a Premiership season ticket.

Nowtv and Premier Sports coming in about £40 a month. So yeah, looking at around same price as a ST.

10 hours ago, gannonball said:

Our board like most up and down the county will be mostly Tory but Im not quite sure how a club refusing extra match host money as well as allowing the fans to have their favoured kick off time has anything to do with a Tory mindset. Most our home games sell out too so it’s not for gate receipts really either.

Whole club and fans are Tory mindset. Club totally prescrible to the lack of distribution of wealth and promote trickle down, but in reality throw scraps. Fans lap it up and gloat over having more than everyone else and how other fans should be thankful for the money Celtic bring to the rest. That Celtic fans kiddy on care about Social causes is nothing more than to make themselves feel better about their true colours.

You know all of this though, but don't want to admit it. 

On 09/10/2024 at 08:53, DukDukGoose said:

Severe lack of self awareness in the replies.

Celtic are c***s and their fans are mainly c***s, but I'm finding it hard to disagree with their stance here.

Celtic fans almost never have away games that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday (or Sunday) and if I were one of their fans I'd certainly be unhappy at having some of the home games taken away as well.

One of the issues with getting more tv money is going to be season ticket holders and regular attenders at all clubs accepting that 3pm Saturdays will need to become pretty rare for us to get a "good" tv deal.

People will need to consider for themselves whether they are ok with that. I'd rather keep things as they are, to be honest.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Celtic are c***s and their fans are mainly c***s, but I'm finding it hard to disagree with their stance here.

Celtic fans almost never have away games that kick off at 3pm on a Saturday (or Sunday) and if I were one of their fans I'd certainly be unhappy at having some of the home games taken away as well.

One of the issues with getting more tv money is going to be season ticket holders and regular attenders at all clubs accepting that 3pm Saturdays will need to become pretty rare for us to get a "good" tv deal.

People will need to consider for themselves whether they are ok with that. I'd rather keep things as they are, to be honest.

Tend to agree.

I can see why there might be grumbles if Celtic will still benefit from the prize money contributed by Premier Sports, but protecting 3 o’clock Saturday kick offs should be seen as a good thing, IMO.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

So f**k every other team's fans who might want to see a game at 3pm? Let's let the armchair away fans of Celtic and Rangers see every game but f**k the armchair fans of other clubs? 

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So f**k every other team's fans who might want to see a game at 3pm? Let's let the armchair away fans of Celtic and Rangers see every game but f**k the armchair fans of other clubs? 

Football is a spectator sport and without trying to be too blunt, I think accommodating match going fans should be higher up the priority list than accommodating TV audiences.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

Football is a spectator sport and without trying to be too blunt, I think accommodating match going fans should be higher up the priority list than accommodating TV audiences.

I do too, but we are where we are. And making out that poor old Celtic (and Rangers) fans are the real victims here because they have so many away games played at times other than 3pm is a nonsense and certainly doesn't excuse them for "opting out" of a TV deal that every other club (bar one presumably) would have no other option of doing so.

I'm confused by this tbh.

Have they opted out of the entire deal, or have they opted out of this game being shown? If it's the latter, I can understand it, as long as all the clubs have an equal number of vetos. If it's the former, why would Premier have agreed to the deal if the clubs could just opt out?

Am I missing something here in the sense that what if all clubs took the Celtic stance and said no thanks to televised games at their stadia to “protect 3pm Saturday kick offs”, so the broadcaster wouldn’t be able to show any games at all? But all clubs still expect to share in the proceeds of a tv deal where the broadcaster can’t actually show any games? 🤣🤣

This is why Celtic (if they want to opt out) shouldn’t benefit from the deal. 
Like I say, maybe I’m missing something?? 🤷‍♂️

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the 'tradition' of the 3pm kicks offs in 2024 anymore?

I understand why they were set at that in the first place, but the world has changed now.  There are just as many folk that can't make 3pm on a Saturday due to work commitments as can't make Sunday at 12.30pm, or 7.45pm on a Wednesday, etc