Local Urban Legends

One of the main local urban legends when I was growing up was Kim The Busker, who is now well detailed in another thread for being a prolific sex offender.

There used to be an old alcoholic who would ride his bike around my side of town, Drunken Dan.  People used to shout stuff at him to try and get him to chase them for a laugh, such an innocent time before smart phones.  People said he lived in this old caravan that was behind MacDonald Park - it really was there and looked creepy as anything, this old broken down rusty thing in the middle of wasteground.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

A post on another thread about an urban 'myth' from uni had me thinking about the various urban legends doing the rounds out there.  The well-entrenched one that pops straight to mind for me is Marischal College in Aberdeen being Hitler's favourite building in the UK, which he would have made a residence or HQ had he won WW2.  I don't think any student can be in Aberdeen for over a week and not hear that one.

I don't think i ever heard that and i was at Aberdeen Uni for four years. 

7qua6Sf.gif.1beb510a781d1084c435a2064ddace73.gif

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Having long ago been punched, and kicked into the gutter by a couple of passing strangers ( who had just exited the Electric Garden night club, presumably having failed to attract a 'lumber' ), and done some listening to Billy Connolly's and Kevin Bridges' stories of being accosted by a stranger whilst waiting at a bus stop.. ( ... see you, I'm gonnie kill you..)   the Glaswegian 'banter'and sense of humour is lost on me.

dunno - that sounded pretty funny. But maybe a "you had to be there" scenario to truly appreciate it...

1 hour ago, Big Gus said:

There's a house in Dundee at number 2 Roseangle called The Murder House as an old retired doctor and his wife were killed by a slater hammer weilded by a "loner" type who was trying to rob them

It happened in the 80s and the culprit is still alive in an institution.

The house still lies empty which is weird in itself as it's a beautiful old building in a very prominent place (literally across the road from the main Dundee university building) so you think someone would have done something with it.

It's only been getting my head filled with the urban myths about the place that gives me a real fear and foreboding whenever I see it as I'm the 90s I went to an illegal rave in there and it wasn't scary when I was off my nut-nut on a disco biscuit.

There is something weird about it. 

It’s a listed building that is prohibitively expensive to renovate.  If I remember correctly there was some interest about turning it into a restaurant but it soon became apparent just how much it would cost to repair.

Sad to say but it’s highly likely the building will just continue to deteriorate until it eventually crumbles. 

This has the feel of an urban myth about it: 

My dad's pal was a roofer and he said he was working on the roof of one of the 18th Century New Town houses and had to take down a chimney. When he demolished it a body fell out. The police were called and the pathologist said it was a very old body of a young boy, probably a chimney sweep's apprentice who got stuck in the chimney. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't think i ever heard that and i was at Aberdeen Uni for four years. 

7qua6Sf.gif.1beb510a781d1084c435a2064ddace73.gif

What about the Hilhead halls of residence being modelled on a Swedish womens' prison?

(I don't think that one's limited to just Aberdeen uni though)

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One of the main local urban legends when I was growing up was Kim The Busker, who is now well detailed in another thread for being a prolific sex offender.

There used to be an old alcoholic who would ride his bike around my side of town, Drunken Dan.  People used to shout stuff at him to try and get him to chase them for a laugh, such an innocent time before smart phones.  People said he lived in this old caravan that was behind MacDonald Park - it really was there and looked creepy as anything, this old broken down rusty thing in the middle of wasteground.

And the caravan.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

What about the Hilhead halls of residence being modelled on a Swedish womens' prison?

Yep, heard that one for Stirling.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nope. I did talk to some folk, honest. 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

This has the feel of an urban myth about it: 

My dad's pal was a roofer and he said he was working on the roof of one of the 18th Century New Town houses and had to take down a chimney. When he demolished it a body fell out. The police were called and the pathologist said it was a very old body of a young boy, probably a chimney sweep's apprentice who got stuck in the chimney. 

Pretty sure that's the plot of a Val McDarmid book.

There were 2 ice cream vans in Alloa when I was a kid, Jimmy and Mario.

Two rumours about Mario. One was that he made the ice cream in his bath, the second that someone bought an ice cream from him and there was a dead rat in it.

As an adult I suspect that Jimmy spread these myths.

8 hours ago, beefybake said:

Having long ago been punched, and kicked into the gutter by a couple of passing strangers ( who had just exited the Electric Garden night club, presumably having failed to attract a 'lumber' ), and done some listening to Billy Connolly's and Kevin Bridges' stories of being accosted by a stranger whilst waiting at a bus stop.. ( ... see you, I'm gonnie kill you..)   the Glaswegian 'banter'and sense of humour is lost on me.

At what stage of this did they identify themselves as being from Glasgow? Sounds like tourists to me.

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Go on, someone tell us about the Greenock Catman again.

The legend of a Russian sailor who missed his boat having being taken into hospital for broken limbs.  Then forced to crawl about on all fours, living off rats and scraps.  

There are some videos out there that plenty of folk seem to think are just pranksters.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

.People said he lived in this old caravan that was behind MacDonald Park - it really was there and looked creepy as anything, this old broken down rusty thing in the middle of wasteground.

Whilst at primary school, there was a lane in my village that had a shabby but clearly-occupied bungalow with a truly overgrown front garden.  It was said that the old man inside had only recently moved back in having been in jail for murdering a kid that played chap-door-run on him years ago.

The ultimate dare was to knock on his door.  Despite much bravado, nobody had the bottle to do it. 

Simpler times when things couldn't be quickly dispelled in a pre-search engine era.  I'm sure this happening at a time when Home Alone (with the street gritter murderer guy) would have been recently released was just sheer coincidence.

21 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

There was a chippy in Leven (now closed) whose owner apparently had a massive cock.

Everyone at my secondary school was aware of this rumour.

The mind boggles.

Clearly banged a few of the lassies. The weirdo. 

Not sure if it's technically the correct thread but in the middle of Tentsmuir forest there are people living in a home made shack type thing. The creepiest thing is that the garden is packed full of shop display dolls.

IMG-20220423-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220423-WA0015.jpg

Edited by Alert Mongoose

On 09/06/2024 at 12:24, Hedgecutter said:

A post on another thread about an urban 'myth' from uni had me thinking about the various urban legends doing the rounds out there.  The well-entrenched one that pops straight to mind for me is Marischal College in Aberdeen being Hitler's favourite building in the UK, which he would have made a residence or HQ had he won WW2.  I don't think any student can be in Aberdeen for over a week and not hear that one.

I overheard somebody in Banchory say that it has the widest pavement in the UK after somebody beside him said "tell me something I don't know".  I feel both proud and guilty about that one as I fabricated that blatant lie when passing an infilled bus stop and added it to the Banchory Wikipedia page when bored one afternoon.  Some mod took it down a long time back once they started taking referencing seriously, but I'm entertained that at least one person still thinks it's true.

Anyway, which urban myths/legends have you heard from your part of the land?  Whether it's half the town or just a handful of people who genuinely think it's legit, let's get them shared...

Marischal College which is a beautiful building, has a connection to another dictator.

It is said to be the 2nd largest granite building in the world. The largest being the Palace built by Romanian communist dictator Ceausescu in Bucharest in the 70s. Both these dictators ended up dead with bullets in the head. 

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Not sure if it's technically the correct thread but in the middle of Tentsmuir forest there are people living in a home made shack type thing. The creepiest thing is that the garden is packed full of shop display dolls.

IMG-20220423-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220423-WA0015.jpg

Where about? Never seen that but will investigate the next time im across.