Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

10 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Kenny Mac on the radio seething at Clarke's performance in the press conference.

That was ridiculous, especially when he tried the “as a journalist” schtick.

At least Crichton went after the journalists for not asking the right questions

The radio giving Clarke pelters for the post match interview sums up how small time our media are.

If we continue along this path then yeah, there should be an evaluation of Clarke's future but what the f**k is he supposed to do in that situation? Throw the team under the bus and let the heads slip further down or even worse create a toxic atmosphere within the squad with 2 games to go?

There's an absolute shit ton to slate Clarke for right now - a post match press conference is not one of them.

18 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

There’s definitely an argument there but Clarke won’t don’t it for the simple fact that Gunn’s Scotland career would be killed instantly, never mind just his tournament. 

Just now, GordonS said:

Journalists slating Clarke for not giving them headlines in the interviews and press conference. STFU you infants.

He owes you nothing. His one job is to do what's best for the squad, and right now that means giving away no criticism in public, especially while emotions are raw. He did exactly the right thing by playing a straight bat.

Putting justified grievances of tonights game and recent form aside, I think there's always been an undercurrent of doubt and negativity towards Steve Clarke. Whether that's because he's came in from a provincial domestic club team, his seemingly dour personality, or something else I don't know. But I don't think he's ever had the full backing or support from he deserves, given that that he is objectively our best manager since at least the Craig Brown era.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It can be argued that with competent goalkeeping we only lose that 2-0 (if we are ruling out Germany's goals due to shite goalkeeping then only fair I rule out the flukey goal we score) and finish with 11 men on the park.

We'd put that down as a shite performance but expected result and dust ourselves down without being too down on ourselves but still with huge concerns.

It's not Gunn's fault we lost and it's not his fault we were absolutely fucking insipid but he's the difference in the level of defeat IMO.

We lost tonight pretty much whatever Gunn did. It just seems like he's an easy target because he wasn't always desperate to play for Scotland. And nobody wants to accept that the over-hyped stars in midfield just couldn't do their job. Gunn isn't the main problem here.

35 minutes ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

We're not conceding 3 or 4 of those with a Gordon, McGregor or Marshall.

And we're not pinned in the whole game with even one good outlet up front - hell we did better with Adams off the pitch at 10 men.

The rest of the team looked demoralised at 1-0 knowing these gaps in the team.

Totally agree

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This horror show was 100% the fault of Steve Clarke's whose chosen team formation and player selection set us up to fail tonight. From the first minute it was obvious that Germany were able to rip us apart using their wide players. 

Porteous is known to be a bomb scare. Why bother to play Che Adams at all if he doesn't receive a pass in the entire time he's on the park ?

What formation would have worked with the players at Clarke's disposal, against the German performance this evening? 

It's clear that the tactical plan A did not work at all. But quite what alternative existed given the entirely dung (actual) centre back options, dung right back options and beyond abysmal centre forward options is beyond me. It's a squad lacking in quality and/or depth in multiple key areas - you simply can't magically cover that up.

The idea that Billy Gilmour would break German pressing on his own or Lawrence Shankland (lol) would have produced a different outcome in the context of tonight's specific game is unconvincing. Once Germany were on it and got an early breakthrough, the question would be how many regardless of how the Scottish deck chairs were arranged. 

Venting is fair but reality should also come into play.

Edited by vikingTON

Gunn was shite but its not all that lads fault ffs. I thought he was unlucky with first goal. You could see the system wasn't working at 0-0 and Clarke waits til 3-0 with ten men til he changes it. He had a nice tie on though. 

Just seen another replay of the Porteous tackle for the pen/red.  Don't really know what he was thinking, you can see in his face he is almost looking as if he wants to leave something on Gundogan while making the tackle.  An absolutely ridiculous moment of braindead defending, although given how poor we had been all of the first half, it would also be completely wrong to blame him for everything that happened (as arguably we'd have lost 5-1 playing in the manner we did regardless of whether we were down to 10 men or not)

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Putting justified grievances of tonights game and recent form aside, I think there's always been an undercurrent of doubt and negativity towards Steve Clarke. Whether that's because he's came in from a provincial domestic club team, his seemingly dour personality, or something else I don't know. But I don't think he's ever had the full backing or support from he deserves, given that that he is objectively our best manager since at least the Craig Brown era.

Totally agreed. He never managed one of them, he's just a wee guy from Ayrshire, so he won't get the same respect.

They should ask Mourinho what he thinks of Steve Clarke.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Talking about Souness getting a CBE and McCoist gettinf an OBE is a fucking new low for post match chat.

And two unionist wankers to boot.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That was ridiculous, especially when he tried the “as a journalist” schtick.

At least Crichton went after the journalists for not asking the right questions

But as has been proven for all of the season just gone, Kenny Macintyre is a complete gimp who appears to have landed the Beeb gig because he's a guid hoanest Raingers man, hence paying back the Ibrix club some of the perceived debt they feel the BBC owed them.

4 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I'm just about old enough to recall Brown being given a hard time by the same outlets at the end of his tenure, for very similar reasons. 

I'm not going to judge whether that criticism was valid or not, but it suggests that's pretty standard practice. 

8 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

I mean just look at Australia and Morocco at the last world cup, would you say they are better than this Scotland team? 

So why can they go far in a tournament ?and we look like we are going out at the first hurdle?

A: Obviously yes. 

Not having to choose between goalkeepers with coal shovels for gloves is a pretty solid advantage to start with.

56 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

I think England, France, Portugal, Italy and Belgium would all beat this Germany team, maybe even Croatia as well

So do I