Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

1 hour ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Don't know mate? But it's just just weird that we seem to drop our heads quickly at major tournaments, other countries with less quality than this Scotland team/squad can do well at major tournaments, yet Scotland can't? I find it very strange.

I mean just look at Australia and Morocco at the last world cup, would you say they are better than this Scotland team? 

So why can they go far in a tournament ?and we look like we are going out at the first hurdle?

Not helped by xenophobic national anthem that is essentially about a defeat. Self fulfilling prophecy. Time to sing about something else, unique and that has no mention of England for starters. Makes me cringe tbh

Struggling to think of any positive from that performance. Utterly atrocious from front to back and a shocking lack of organisation. If you're Hungary or Switzerland it tells you very little about Germany but a lot about Scotland, and as two streetwise teams they'll be rubbing their hands at the chance to play us.

Just now, Sonam said:

Not helped by xenophobic national anthem that is essentially about a defeat. Self fulfilling prophecy. Time to sing about something else, unique and that has no mention of England for starters. Makes me cringe tbh

This is such a strange opinion. Don't think the anthem made Porteous get sent off stupidly or us basically leave their midfield alone. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

I think what you are saying is that our squad is pish and the manager can't work a sensible formation?

I agree.

Disagree,

Our squad isn't pish though imo,

Robertson, Gilmour, Christie,Mcginn,Tierney, Mctominay all EPL players

Then you have,

Adam's, Armstrong, Hanley, Cooper, Gunn and McLean all ex EPL players,

That's 12 players with EPL experience under their belt in our Squad, having played in one of the best leagues In The world.

When you add in the winning machines of McGregor, Forrest etc then we should be competing a hell of a lot better than what we did tonight.

5-1 is an absolute embarrassment of a result for our team, players and management.

13 minutes ago, Sonam said:

national anthem that is essentially about a defeat

I've heard this before and not understood it - which defeat(s) is Flower of Scotland about?

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Where would you suggest we pick our players from? 

South of France, northern Italy and central Africa.

Just watching the highlights and that Porteous tackle was a complete shocker. He could have cleared that without going in like a thug.

He should be nowhere near the first XI anytime soon.

Edit - He got a hand shake from Clarke as he walks off. 💀 - Skull Emoji 📖 Emoji Meaning ✂ Copy & 📋 Paste (◕‿◕) SYMBL

Edited by Theroadlesstravelled

2 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Just watching the highlights and that Porteous tackle was a complete shocker. He could have cleared that without going in like a thug.

He should be nowhere near the first XI anytime soon.

He cost us tonight,

I like him and think he has something about him but he has misjudged that tackle badly, 

he's a stupid boy,

If he doesn't get sent off we would probably only lose 2 or 3 nil at best, 

That could prove vital in terms of goal difference for getting through as the 3rd best team etc.

Perhaps we should stop exclusively judging players by where they play their football. Playing in the EPL alone isn't any real barometer of quality, especially when it's considerably easier to do so as a Scotsman than for players of most other nationalities. 

We've some decent players but that's all they are. There's an enormous gulf in class between our best and their best, and that told on the pitch. 

Granted, we should have performed much better but the reality is that our squad is severely lacking in genuine quality.

Edited by ArtemisClydeFrog

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Still trying to decide what to have for dinner. For some reason 'mince' keeps popping into my 

Mince n tatties and watch the scotland "highlights" washed down with a nice glass of irn bru 😀 

18 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Disagree,

Our squad isn't pish though imo,

Robertson, Gilmour, Christie,Mcginn,Tierney, Mctominay all EPL players

Then you have,

Adam's, Armstrong, Hanley, Cooper, Gunn and McLean all ex EPL players,

That's 12 players with EPL experience under their belt in our Squad, having played in one of the best leagues In The world.

When you add in the winning machines of McGregor, Forrest etc then we should be competing a hell of a lot better than what we did tonight.

5-1 is an absolute embarrassment of a result for our team, players and management.

I get what you’re on about and I got a few people earlier quoting me but I was in the pub. 

You’re saying we have current EPL players and ex-EPL players, however the Germany lads are mostly current Champions League players. Very little of our players get anywhere near the Germany team.

I’m not saying the performance put in by the team wasn’t under par however some of the bed wetting that we’ve been shagged by a far superior team is a bit over the top 

3 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Mince n tatties and watch the scotland "highlights" washed down with a nice glass of irn bru 😀 

2 of those 3 suggestions sound appealing.

9 minutes ago, ArtemisClydeFrog said:

Perhaps we should stop exclusively judging players by where they play their football. Playing in the EPL alone isn't any real barometer of quality, especially when it's considerably easier to do so as a Scotsman than for players of most other nationalities. 

We've some decent players but that's all they are. There's an enormous gulf in class between our best and their best, and that told on the pitch. 

Granted, we should have performed much better but the reality is that our squad is severely lacking in genuine quality.

I agree with this. The game was always Hearts, Killie or St Mirren away to one of the Old firm. If we weren't on it (and we weren't) and they were (which they were) then there's always the risk it will go this way. That's the bottom line. We had to be close to 10/10 and they had to be 6/10 for us to realistically get something from tonight.

It played out in the worst way. It's not always about tactics or decision making, sometimes it's just about who has the better players and who is able to perform on the night and that's what it was about for me. Why we didn't I don't have a clue, but Germany were on it so it would always have been difficult to get anything tonight unfortunately.

Edited by 2426255

39 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Loads of countries' national anthems mention other countries. Notably the Dutch, who have bravely managed to overcome the dreadful burden of some song lyrics about Spain to reach three World Cup finals and win the Euros. Oh, and be one of the most equal, wealthiest and healthiest societies in the world.

The American anthem is about their war of independence with England, same as ours. They seem to have done alright in a few things, sporting and otherwise.

The fact you actually use the word cringe while exemplifying the Scottish cringe shows n impressive lack of self-awareness.