Germany v Scotland

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t think Gilmour’s inclusion would’ve made a huge difference in the end given the red card but surely to f**k you start him this one. He’s the one guy in that midfield that can slow the game down and keep possession when they are getting on top of us. Starting Christie over him was criminal IMHO. 

100%!! Gilmour has the ability to make players around him play better also, and ease them into the game.

Instead, we went for that familiar submissive approach from the kick off. It was all about the first 20 minutes tonight, we simply had to get some sort of grip on the game and give Germany something to think about. But we sat off and watched them play, gain in confidence and turn us over. McGregor went in full retreat mode yet again. McGinn, McTominay and Christie were no better, never managed to string more than 3 x passers together, Gilmour would have made that happen.

Ach, just fed up. Qualify for a tournament and just basically chuck the first game, not good enough!!

Edited by dstuart82

4 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

. Twice now Clarke's been caught sleeping in the first game at a Euros.

Also twice that Clarke has actually got us to the euros. 

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don’t think Gilmour’s inclusion would’ve made a huge difference in the end given the red card but surely to f**k you start him this one. He’s the one guy in that midfield that can slow the game down and keep possession when they are getting on top of us. Starting Christie over him was criminal IMHO. 

If we'd been pumped like that people would point to Christes work rate and say it was criminal we didn't start him for the press. 

The lineup was fine, the lack of protest also says this. We did though play utter shit. 

That squad is pish, you're rearranging jobbers for the most part. 

Was saying to my dad before the game that I'd be playing Christie as a false 9 purely to be a pest and that would allow Gilmour and McGregor to play in the heart of our midfield and I can't help but thinking that would've been far better than what we ended up with.

Can we call up SODs please, Ralston is absolute fucking toture.

The comments by Nagelsman are absolutely damning IMO. 

Germany manager Julian Nagelsmann has also given his thoughts to ITV.

He said: "I’m happy, I’m satfisifed, it's not easy to have the first game in our own country.

"We were brilliant in the first 20 minutes, I was happy with the performance.

"We conceded but at the end it’s okay, it’s a good sign that our players complained about conceding.

"I was kind of surprised that Scotland weren't that aggressive in first 20 minutes. I think they were surprised by our ball possession, it was very concentrated.

"They then defended deeper and didn't high press as they have in the qualifying games at times."

Nothing wrong in the lineup for me except Gilmour should’ve been in there as he’s our most press-resistant midfielder who would’ve helped hugely in us playing out from the back rather than playing hoofball.

The real issue tonight was Clarke’s tactics, you could tell from the opening seconds how it was going to end up.

Not one tackle all night in midfield. Just stand off and watch them play.

And then we celebrate a pity goal like we have won the bloody thing is a fucking embarrassment.

Absolute Scottish subservient mentally summed up in a 90min masterclass 

5 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Souness was spot on when he said that its impossible to judge how good Germany were - Scotland were just far too poor to judge the Germans. Germany showed some very nice skill, but at no time in the game did they have to play with any urgency. We stood off them. We sat deep, let them have the ball and let them attack us at will. Porteous going off obviously ended it for us, but we were garbage before that.

I do feel sorry for Clarke to some extent. The best right wingback is injured. Hickey absolutely starts that game if fit and makes us a better team. Dykes is a different option up front. Ferguson is clearly a very good player who is doing well in Serie A. But Dykes isnt a great goal scorer and Clarke hasn't used Ferguson much since he's been doing well with Bologna.

Tonight was a good Germany side doing as much as they had to in order to beat a terrible Scotland side. 

I think that regardless of the outcome of the Switzerland and Hungary games, Scotland needs a bit of a rebuild. The midfield should be McTominey, Gilnour an Ferguson. Hickey comes back into that side after injury. But beyond that it starts to rely more than a little on hope. There's no obvious optoin to come in and replace Grant Hanley as a regular centre half. Our wide options aren't great. Ben Doak needs regular football to progress. Rory Wilson at Villa might eventually be the striker Scotland needs, but he's a good few years away. Tommy Conway has had a good season, but we'll need to see how he continues to develop at club level and hope that he can become an important part of the Scotland squad going forward.

Regardless of what happens between now and the final Scotland game of the tournament (whatever it is), we need to start looking ahead. The past 10 games or so going into tonight weren't good and whilst it was always a huge ask, I thought we were far too timid tonight. More timid than we had to be and more timid than the performances that took us through the group. It's probably time for some changes at the national level. 

Souness can **** off

If he was playing tonight he would have got sent off before Porteous 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Was saying to my dad before the game that I'd be playing Christie as a false 9 purely to be a pest and that would allow Gilmour and McGregor to play in the heart of our midfield and I can't help but thinking that would've been far better than what we ended up with.

Can we call up SODs please, Ralston is absolute fucking toture.

Mcgregor isnt good enough at this level, also why wasn't max Johnston even looked at given he's played something like 20 games for sturm graz this season 

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I do feel sorry for Clarke to some extent. The best right wingback is injured. Hickey absolutely starts that game if fit and makes us a better team. Dykes is a different option up front. Ferguson is clearly a very good player who is doing well in Serie A. But Dykes isnt a great goal scorer and Clarke hasn't used Ferguson much since he's been doing well with Bologna.

And his obvious replacement is injured too. Patterson is a significant step up from Ralston. Hickey way better than both IMHO.

For all his limitations Dykes is a big miss.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

4 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

The comments by Nagelsman are absolutely damning IMO. 

Germany manager Julian Nagelsmann has also given his thoughts to ITV.

He said: "I’m happy, I’m satfisifed, it's not easy to have the first game in our own country.

"We were brilliant in the first 20 minutes, I was happy with the performance.

"We conceded but at the end it’s okay, it’s a good sign that our players complained about conceding.

"I was kind of surprised that Scotland weren't that aggressive in first 20 minutes. I think they were surprised by our ball possession, it was very concentrated.

"They then defended deeper and didn't high press as they have in the qualifying games at times."

Very damning !

8 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Are we dropping Tierney or Robertson or playing KT as one of 2 centre backs.?

If you have two better centre halves then drop tierney, if not then tierney plays

Scotland literally play 3 at the back so both Robertson and tierney can play, no matter if the system is rotten for the rest of the team 

4 minutes ago, Tattie-bogle said:

And then we celebrate a pity goal like we have won the bloody thing is a fucking embarrassment.

With respect - when you’ve spent a huge amount of money and time to get to such a game, then pass your opinion. 

The fans were first class. Team were appalling.

Germans can’t believe how well-supported we are. Great people - dreadful fans.

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

Mcgregor isnt good enough at this level, also why wasn't max Johnston even looked at given he's played something like 20 games for sturm graz this season 

I could be wrong but I thought most of Johnston's appearances were as a sub.

1 hour ago, ScottishLoon said:

I think Steve Clarke overall has done brilliant for us as manager...but genuinely say we carry this performance into both games and lose comfortably, where does that leave us?

If we do lose both games we'll have only won twice in thirteen games against Cyprus and Gibraltar, conceding 28 goals along the way.

Not quite. The 1-2 against Norway was 13 games ago

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

If you have two better centre halves then drop tierney, if not then tierney plays

Scotland literally play 3 at the back so both Robertson and tierney can play, no matter if the system is rotten for the rest of the team 

I’d consider Tierney as RB at that point, I know he’s not natural to that position but surely to f*ck he’d do a better job than Ralston did tonight

6 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Also twice that Clarke has actually got us to the euros. 

If we'd been pumped like that people would point to Christes work rate and say it was criminal we didn't start him for the press. 

The lineup was fine, the lack of protest also says this. We did though play utter shit. 

That squad is pish, you're rearranging jobbers for the most part. 

Away ye go. I’d rather we started guys that can get a foot on the ball rather than start guys like Christie because they run around a lot. The squad is far from pish, we might not be a match for the top tier teams but we are capable of not being whipping boys and keeping the scoreline respectable.  The right back situation is hugely unfortunate and Ralston was badly exposed tonight but I still think Gilmour was an absolute stick on to start that game over Christie. 

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

We were really poor tonight but plenty of games where that system has serves us very well.

Who would you play as the 2 centre backs?

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

We were really poor tonight but plenty of games where that system has serves us very well.

Who would you play as the 2 centre backs?

Yip, but so much data and tape for opposition to study.

1 minute ago, Tattie-bogle said:

Absolutely correct,  what we will always get with current management team.  Total imposters every one, the ONLY thing we had to avoid today was a doing that brought goal difference into play , so what did we get , UM !!!!

I can't think what the discussion was that resulted in Gilmour not starting,  must have involved some serious substances