Calm Down

stu2910

Just thought I should get this is in here now.  I’ve not even been on social media yet but I know there will be a ton of people throwing all sorts of nonsense out there out of frustration and disappointment.

We have to understand that we were up against one of the biggest nations in world football in what was effectively an away game.  Predictably we got beat and unfortunately due to some bad decisions and bad luck plus some phenomenal play from the opposition, we got a bit of a hiding.  Also, 4 years ago if we were offered 2 games against Switzerland and Hungary to progress from a Euros group we would have been delighted.

Everything is still very much in our own hands this is where our tournament really starts.  Let’s leave the sensationalism to the muppets that get paid for it.

It's in the Scottish mentality. We just go way over the top in criticism as a coping mechanism. We were so emotionally invested, and as a result getting twatted was extremely painful so we try to neutralise that incoming pain with outgoing anger. 

amateur psychology aside, that was fucking dreadful

My attempt at positivity is remembering Costa Rica. Just like tonight, we were the worst team in the whole wide world after that game. But we came out all guns blazing and beat a very strong Sweden 2-1.

I think we'll have at least two-thirds of the stadium in Köln and the place will be fierce. There's an opportunity to right some wrongs.

The calming voice of reason from the "seen it all" TA veteran coming in sharpish on this occasion. Offering some context to that performance that everyone apart from the OP had forgotten or not considered, followed by a "bite your hand off" reboot to the next few games. BINGO!

image.png.2f8d63b1b5d4c3a84f8aaf117c96dc11.png

I see this thread isn’t doing great business.

We’ve moved from rubbishing Gunn, to needing a new national anthem, and then hastily organising another Think Tank to rearrange youth football for the umpteenth time. 

There must be a lot of folk who had convinced themselves that we were going to get a result against the Germans.

Hopefully we can at least avoid defeat against the Swiss, otherwise this forum will go into meltdown. It’s teetering as it is. 

19 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We’ve moved from rubbishing Gunn, to needing a new national anthem, and then hastily organising another Think Tank to rearrange youth football for the umpteenth time. 

There must be a lot of folk who had convinced themselves that we were going to get a result against the Germans.

Hopefully we can at least avoid defeat against the Swiss, otherwise this forum will go into meltdown. It’s teetering as it is. 

I was always a Negative Norman. IMO youth football is buggered and there's nothing we can do to fix it unless we want to kick out all the volunteers taking teams all over the country. I like FoS. But I still think some folk should calm down. Dundee fans don't go mental when their side loses 5-1 at Parkhead and that's a comparable gulf. Our next games are against the equivalent of Hearts and Hibs so we need to take our medicine and move on.

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I was always a Negative Norman. IMO youth football is buggered and there's nothing we can do to fix it unless we want to kick out all the volunteers taking teams all over the country. I like FoS. But I still think some folk should calm down. Dundee fans don't go mental when their side loses 5-1 at Parkhead and that's a comparable gulf. Our next games are against the equivalent of Hearts and Hibs so we need to take our medicine and move on.

Are Scotland Dundee in these scenarios? That’s a blow, no two ways about that.

Youth football is youth football. I help with the coaching of a 2014s team, and they are a pretty good bunch of players. They pass the ball about well, move into space well, they enjoy themselves. At that age (9/10) it’s just about keeping them enjoying playing football and developing skills. If more folk got involved there could be more teams and we might get more players.

Edited by Scary Bear

36 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are Scotland Dundee in these scenarios? That’s a blow, no two ways about that.

Youth football is youth football. I help with the coaching of a 2014s team, and they are a pretty good bunch of players. They pass the ball about well, move into space well, they enjoy themselves. At that age (9/10) it’s just about keeping them enjoying playing football and developing skills. If more folk got involved there could be more teams and we might get more players.

I genuinely don't whether you're taking that as an insult to Dundee or Scotland.

What size teams, pitches and goals do the kids play on, and when do they start on full size? Are the games competitive and how many a season? Are there subs?

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

My attempt at positivity is remembering Costa Rica. Just like tonight, we were the worst team in the whole wide world after that game. But we came out all guns blazing and beat a very strong Sweden 2-1.

The very strong Sweden that lost all 3 group matches?

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

There are of course a large number of knee jerk reactions (which are then followed by the bizarre need to apportion blame to an individual) but would think that largely comes from those who only focus on Scotland and Scotland games on occasions such as these.

What is equally as unpalatable are condescending threads like this from self proclaimed seasoned followers of the national team. 

I did not think we would beat Germany or even get a draw. I did however think we would be able to string more than three passes together, have some efforts on goal and maybe get above 30% (or whatever it was) collective possession. To witness that last night and be met with a "what you need to remember" type post is something that even Kim Jong-un would cringe at. 

Edited by Pocketman

15 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Just thought I should get this is in here now.  I’ve not even been on social media yet but I know there will be a ton of people throwing all sorts of nonsense out there out of frustration and disappointment.

We have to understand that we were up against one of the biggest nations in world football in what was effectively an away game.  Predictably we got beat and unfortunately due to some bad decisions and bad luck plus some phenomenal play from the opposition, we got a bit of a hiding.  Also, 4 years ago if we were offered 2 games against Switzerland and Hungary to progress from a Euros group we would have been delighted.

Everything is still very much in our own hands this is where our tournament really starts.  Let’s leave the sensationalism to the muppets that get paid for it.

It wasn't "effectively an away game". It was an away game.

I agree about overreacting to what we knew was a probable defeat. Just prefer if it wasn't a pumping.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I genuinely don't whether you're taking that as an insult to Dundee or Scotland.

What size teams, pitches and goals do the kids play on, and when do they start on full size? Are the games competitive and how many a season? Are there subs?

Insult to Scotland. 

7-a-side at the moment. The SFA have an App you can download that tells you all about the current setup in terms of maximum pitch size, goal size, etc. There are no league tables, so ostensibly they aren’t competitive games, but they are fairly competitive. There are a maximum of 10 players, so 3 subs if everyone turns up. Equal game time. Players set up in teams based on ability - advanced / intermediate / development. Play March to end of June. Then August to start of December. Training goes on all year round bar a few weeks.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 hour ago, Pocketman said:

There are of course a large number of knee jerk reactions (which are then followed by the bizarre need to apportion blame to an individual) but would think that largely comes from those who only focus on Scotland and Scotland games on occasions such as these.

What is equally as unpalatable are condescending threads like this from self proclaimed seasoned followers of the national team. 

I did not think we would beat Germany or even get a draw. I did however think we would be able to string more than three passes together, have some efforts on goal and maybe get above 30% (or whatever it was) collective possession. To witness that last night and be met with a "what you need to remember" type post is something that even Kim Jong-un would cringe at. 

The hysterical posts are worse and there are more of them. 

Scotland played poorly and lost. If they had played well they’d likely still have lost, but it would be a plucky loss. End result is still a defeat.

Hopefully we play better in the next two games.

8 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The hysterical posts are worse and there are more of them. 

Scotland played poorly and lost. If they had played well they’d likely still have lost, but it would be a plucky loss. End result is still a defeat.

Hopefully we play better in the next two games.

as said, the hysterical posts on the whole come from those who dip their toe into Scotland games on the big occasions. The condescending posts that justify the pursuit or attainment of mediocrity are from veteran supporters, mainly. The happy clappers. Far worse in my view. 

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

There were. There's a lot of folk who seemed to think that we were catching a not great Germany at a good time for us.

There's also plenty of folk who convinced themselves we'll be getting to the quarter finals.

2 minutes ago, Pocketman said:

as said, the hysterical posts on the whole come from those who dip their toe into Scotland games on the big occasions. The condescending posts that justify the pursuit or attainment of mediocrity are from veteran supporters, mainly. The happy clappers. Far worse in my view. 

Nobody wants mediocrity but it’s the space Scotland generally occupy. They are at tournaments to make up the numbers.

It would be lovely if Scotland produced more quality players, but we don’t. We don’t even have 11 quality players. We currently have 6 or 7 quality international players and one is injured (Hickey). We are basically putting all our hopes in Steve Clarke coming up with a plan to get those 6 players and the rest to win games. He did well with that in the qualification campaign. Hopefully he can come up with something on Wednesday.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The very strong Sweden that lost all 3 group matches?

The very strong Sweden who had qualified unbeaten ahead of England, who won their group at the Euros two years later knocking out England and France and made the semi finals, who finished third at the World Cup in 94 losing 1-0 to Brazil in the semi and who reached number 2 in the world rankings that year.

It's easily the best team Sweden have had since 1958.

Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 15.50.55.png

Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 15.52.15.png

Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 15.53.38.png