Line up to play Switzerland

I wouldn't even think about the Germany game coming into this one. The team must put that game behind them to have a chance of qualification. The mood of the nation can change in a heartbeat, so don't worry about the fans.

I would not make dramatic changes based around what's happened last night. The tactical plan for Germany isn't necessarily the same one for Switzerland. If it is similar, we need to execute it better. The only thing we know is that it's must not lose. 

We've had pretty close to a regular starting 11 for a while now. Off the boil but there on merit. I think there's still a choice between Hanley, Cooper and McKenna, Ralston and McCrorie, Adams and Shankland.

Apart from that the question is all about 4 from 5 in midfield. I think after last night any of them could drop out for Billy Gilmour and it wouldn't completely surprise me.

Can’t help but think that the formation is every bit as important as the team selection.

Like others I’m leaning towards a 4-4-2 for the simple reason that I can’t see how it could be any worse and with Dykes out we have no one else who is capable of playing the role that allows a lone striker as an option.

This

Screenshot_20240615-115356.thumb.png.fa6a1014b65b4f99d74cec664af8dec1.png

McGinn for Christie would be something I'd consider as well as the above but just now I'd go for this. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah thats 3 changes which feels right. We just dont have quality back ups to make more radical changes. McKenna over Hanley, cos the latter not match fit (? quality anyway but lets be kind)

Edited by true fan

13 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Hanley in for Porteous is a default. Gilmour has to play, McTominay is not a deep lying midfielder. If he plays, he plays one of the two advanced roles. McGregor was off it tonight but will do better alongside Gilmour. Ralston needs to be dropped. Up front is a toss up for me, always been an Adams fan and harsh to judge him on tonight, but he was incredibly ineffective. 

I don't disagree much with this with a few caveats. mcTominay CAN play deep lying midfielder, he's done so plenty of times for Man United, but Gilmour is better at it. He should have played last night. It's all very well saying Ralston needs dropped but we don't have an alternative that's better so he'll have to play.

I don't think Adams has done anything of note for Scotland since the Denmark game really. I'd be tempted to try Shankland. As much as people bemoan Dykes for his general level, he's crucial to the way we play and we simply don't have a similar replacement (unless it's McBurnie and probably none of us want to go back to that). Adams (and Shankland) would both be much better in a front two but we'd have to go back four or drop an attacking midfielder for that.

12 hours ago, lesheep said:

We are in abysmal form. We need to change it up.

Clark 

Mccrorie Hanley McKenna Robertson 

Gilmour McGinn

Mctominay

Christie Shankland Conway

😂 yep, 7 changes, that's the way to go.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Dramatic changes of formation and line-up would probably only make things worse. If it doesn't work it's not just a case of going back to Plan A for Hungary, those players will have shattered confidence.

Against Akanji, Schär and Rodriguez it's even more important that whoever plays up front is able to bring the midfield up. So Dykes it is then. I really don't know who can do that for us now - in which case, should we consider going back to Clarke's first successful formation, 5-3-2, and put two up top?

We absolutely must do something to stop Xhaka from playing. The guy has just strolled to the best domestic season in the history of German football. Kroos killed us in the first half and if he gets the space, Xhaka will do likewise.

We need someone in midfield to properly screen the back three and make sure nothing gets between the lines, which is an area that killed us tonight. I wish I could think of a better option than McGregor.

Gunn

Hendry   Hanley   Tierney

McGregor

McCrorie    McGinn (man-marking Xhaka)   McTominay   Robertson

Christie   Shankland

Agreed in general. Don't agree with picking McCrorie and I'd be playing Gilmour, but otherwise fair enough.

2 hours ago, lesheep said:

Stunned people want him in. He is another joke. Doesn’t even get a game for Norwich 

He's been injured for a year. He's their club captain and would have been playing if fully fit. YOU put him in your line up further up. Did you forget that? 😆

Switzerland play a 3-4-3 I think. I’d match them up, using wing backs to hold the width and then having McGinn and McTominay cutting in on their better foot. Ryan Christie unfortunately has to come fall out of the team because Gilmour deserves a place. I’d give Hanley another shot. Ideally Ralston would come out but I just don’t see anyone else being any better so just two changes:

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn-Adams-McTominay

58 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

This

Screenshot_20240615-115356.thumb.png.fa6a1014b65b4f99d74cec664af8dec1.png

McGinn for Christie would be something I'd consider as well as the above but just now I'd go for this. 

Think that's about as good as it gets in the try something different stakes.

Conway has played lone striker for Bristol this last season, wonder if he'll be a very surprise starter if Clarke wants to keep only one up.

I think I would be going with McKenna in the middle of the back three. 

Other than that I think the only change I would make would be bringing in Gilmour. I would be tempted to play Christie deeper alongside him. 

I would still start Adams, if we actually attempt to play football then he is our best striker at linking everything up. Big if though. 

For me we need more going forward and be better at the back. We cant sit back and defend for a draw. We need 3 points.

RWB is a problem area that teams will exploit as Ralston is struggles to defend and offers little as an out ball to that side. Also going forward he is somewhat pish.

Would be bold but putting McTominay at RWB might be an idea. Can somewhat defend and likes to get forward and is more technically better than the 2 RWB options. Can cross the ball too.

McGinn at RW to drift in to help the striker and link up with McTominay running forward. His arse can win us free kicks.

Get Gilmour in the middle for his passing.

Morgan out wide on the left for more attacking threat as he can cut in also.

Shankland up front as chances may be limited and he has an eye for goal. May not be liked by everyone but he has scored a lot this season.

LINEUP111718453374586.jpg

21 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

One team for the usual formation and one for 4-2-3-1

Gunn

Hendry-Hanley-Tierney

Ralston-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McTominay-McGinn

Adams

Gunn

Ralston-Hendry-McKenna-Robertson 

Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-McTominay-McGinn

Adams

Somehow I feel like a prefer the latter 

Ralston stays in ?

20 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Mckenna in for Porteous and Hendry goes to RCB

Mcrorie in for Ralston

Gilmour in for McGregor 

And I’d be tempted to drop either Mcginn or Mctominay too but no idea who I’d put in place of them 

Seconded

6 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Ralston stays in ?

Who can replace him? McCrorie is pish. He doesn’t really deserve to keep his place but there’s no other options.

13 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Who can replace him? McCrorie is pish. He doesn’t really deserve to keep his place but there’s no other options.

McCrorie is a better option than Ralston.