Will we qualify out the groups

37 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I'd say results in the other groups so far have slightly boosted the chances of 3 points and a crap goal difference being enough to scrape through if we finish 3rd. Outside of our group, the big nations have all won so far and none of the others have picked up more than a point.

A Croatia/Albania draw on Wednesday would be handy as, unless they beat Spain and Italy respectively in the last games, that would mean the 3rd place team in that group gets no more than 2 points.

England getting at least 7 points and at least one of Serbia v Slovenia or Denmark v Serbia being a draw would also cap the 3rd place team at 2 points in that group.

A Poland/Austria draw and them not beating France or Netherlands is another avenue.

Yeah - the results have generally not gone against us - yet.

3 points and our GD is very unlikely to be enough.  As you say, it requires 2 groups to have the 3rd team on 2 points.

Across every iteration of the u20 World Cup (held every 2 years) from 1997 to 2023, 3 points and a terrible goal difference was enough twice, and once with a -3.  

Three points was enough at the 1986 and 1990 World Cups (the former of which, 2 sides made it through on only 2 points).

For now, we should be supporting draws or thrashings.  Our Group is probably currently odds on to have a 3rd-placed team miss out.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

57 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Yeah - the results have generally not gone against us - yet.

3 points and our GD is very unlikely to be enough.  As you say, it requires 2 groups to have the 3rd team on 2 points.

Across every iteration of the u20 World Cup (held every 2 years) from 1997 to 2023, 3 points and a terrible goal difference was enough twice, and once with a -3.  

Three points was enough at the 1986 and 1990 World Cups (the former of which, 2 sides made it through on only 2 points).

For now, we should be supporting draws or thrashings.  Our Group is probably currently odds on to have a 3rd-placed team miss out.

Draws or thrashings is definitely the way to go.

I can see us getting a point next up and then losing the last game - only to see all 3 other teams bloody qualify.  

So Sunday is basically win-and-in unless four other groups have three teams with 4+ points.

Group B is looking to be a strong possibility given both Croatia and Albania have only 1 point from 2 games and both will be underdogs on the last day. 

Other groups are all way too early to say for now but we should generally be hoping for the best 1 or 2 teams in each group to take care of business, and then the other teams to draw games with each other.

Hoping for:

Serbia/Slovenia draw, England win tomorrow

Poland/Austria draw on Friday.

Tonight was a better performance but we are not qualifying from the group. We have nobody to score goals and no defence that gives any confidence. As much as Gunn made a few saves, he didn't look too clever at the first disallowed goal either

As much as we were brilliant tonight I don’t see winning on Sunday because I don’t see where the goals are coming from and our defence is just too shaky to keep a clean sheet but take nothing away from tonight’s performance 

Defence is shocking, Ralston was a bombscare for most of the match

What happened to CalMac, plays great for Celtic most weeks, did not seem to be at the races at all. Same with McGinn, apart from maybe last 15 minutes

And just who is going to score. Why did Clarke leave it until 89 minute to bring on Shankland

Annoying that a win tonight would have all but guaranteed 2nd place but I suppose it's only Scottish to take it to the last game where too many precedents can be broken to stop us qualifying. 

7 minutes ago, true fan said:

By definition teams with 2 points will have only lost 1 game and they ain’t all going to lose it 5-1 or worse. Looks like 4 or toast in the end

There’s a chance that 2 groups have both 3rd and 4th place with just a single point each. That’s the scenario where we get through with 2 points. Not likely and we certainly shouldn’t be relying on it, but just saying it’s there. Groups B and D are the two I have in mind.

Just now, JS_FFC said:

There’s a chance that 2 groups have both 3rd and 4th place with just a single point each. That’s the scenario where we get through with 2 points. Not likely and we certainly shouldn’t be relying on it, but just saying it’s there. Groups B and D are the two I have in mind.

Group F also not out the equation. 

10 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Group F also not out the equation. 

I’d be surprised if Czech Republic lose to Turkey and draw with Georgia. That group stinks of a last day Turkey/Czech draw to send both through. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirepud said:

They've given us hope. The b*****ds.

That's how it goes for us, though, isn't it? Narrowly missing out on the goal of either qualification or getting through the first round by a bawhair is the Scottish way.