Third place, four point watch

JS_FFC

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The only way Group B can have 3rd place on 4 points now is if Albania beat Spain.

Would almost certainly be Spain Reserves but, even so, you'd hope they could at least get a draw.

25 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would almost certainly be Spain Reserves but, even so, you'd hope they could at least get a draw.

It probably will be the reserves but they will all be desperate to put themselves in contention to start the last 16 game. Probably better than the first team going out and going through the motions. I’d be expecting any Spain team to go out and beat Albania in normal circumstances.

Edited by PB1994

So after today's results an update on Groups B and C

Group B
Spain beating Italy is probably good news as Italy now cannot afford to lose to Croatia. Doing so would leave them 3rd on 3 points at best (it could conceivably see them out altigether if Albania win). I dont see Albania beating Spain even if its their reserves. Any other result means 3rd in this group doesnt get four. Wins for Spain and Iraly leaves 3rd place on 1 point. Danger though that either or both of Spain and Italy settle for the point and let 3rd up to 2 points.

Group C
Not ideal for us. England on 4, Denmark and Slovenia on 2, Serbia on 1.

Impossible for 3rd place to be on 1 pt. Wins for England and Denmark though would leave Slovenia 3rd on 2 pts and an outside shot of England battering Slovenia by 5 goals leaves them worse than us. 

On the other hand, wins for Slovenia and Denmark leave England 3rd on 4 pts and, unless they lost by six to Slovenia (not happening) they'd be better than us. It may stick in the throat of many in the Tartan Army but we could do with England not losing and, ideally, winning by an absolute landslide. Similarly Denmark win please.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think the very small "qualify with two points" window closes tomorrow if Ukraine beat Slovakia (2pm) and Austria do not draw with Poland (5pm).

Nah there would remain the possibilty of a one point 3rd place team in both groups B and F.

Could one of you smart kids explain the BBC's 3rd/4th Ranking table? The four best 3rd place teams go through to make up the sixteen in the next round, yes? So what do they mean by 'Position 3: Possible 8th finals'? Positions 3 & 4 would go through Shirley. What am I missing?

image.png.ec89bd94e4ac929c1d780002120ea6a8.png"

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Could one of you smart kids explain the BBC's 3rd/4th Ranking table? The four best 3rd place teams go through to make up the sixteen in the next round, yes? So what do they mean by 'Position 3: Possible 8th finals'? Positions 3 & 4 would go through Shirley. What am I missing?

image.png.ec89bd94e4ac929c1d780002120ea6a8.png"

Took me a while but it’s referring to the groups, rather than the third place table.

Top two go through, third might depending on their place in this table.

3 minutes ago, CraigInLondon said:

Took me a while but it’s referring to the groups, rather than the third place table.

Top two go through, third might depending on their place in this table.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think the very small "qualify with two points" window closes tomorrow if Ukraine beat Slovakia (2pm) and Austria do not draw with Poland (5pm).

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nah there would remain the possibilty of a one point 3rd place team in both groups B and F.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if this window closes before our game. I think we need to be going in with a “win and in, anything else and we’re out” type attitude.

If there was, say, a 40% chance that a draw would put us through, if we got to 80 mins at 0-0 I wouldn’t trust Clarke not to park the bus and take his point.

At this point a win is enough for us if Spain and England avoid defeat against Albania and Slovenia respectively. Even if England do lose, a Serbia/Denmark draw would also see us through with a win if Albania fail to beat Spain.

There will be further permutations, but groups B and C are already looking odds on to have a third place team on < 4 points.

40 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing if this window closes before our game. I think we need to be going in with a “win and in, anything else and we’re out” type attitude.

If there was, say, a 40% chance that a draw would put us through, if we got to 80 mins at 0-0 I wouldn’t trust Clarke not to park the bus and take his point.

I know what you're saying but I'm not proud here. If there's any chance that a draw gets us through I'll happily take it. The fact we're first group finished probably already stops Clarke playing for it or players settling for it to be honest. As much as it remains a possibility, he's not going to play for it. If it's what we end up getting though I'd rather it remains a possibility. I'll happily sit cheering on Netherlands and France next week if it can take us through!

Your point would be more relevant if we were in Group E or F and knew before we started what we needed for a best 3rd spot. As it stands I expect if we draw we'll see players slumped on the pitch in disappointment at the time.

How does the next round look for the 3rd placed team in our group if they get through? Is it the winners of Group B - so likely Spain or is there more to it than that?

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

How does the next round look for the 3rd placed team in our group if they get through? Is it the winners of Group B - so likely Spain or is there more to it than that?

Depends which 4 3rd place teams get through.

If we go through in 3rd we'll definitely play either winner of Group B, Group E or Group F. B is likely to be Spain, the other two still up for grabs but E will likely be Romania, Slovakia or Belgium and F will likely be Portugal.

EDIT - If we go through in 3rd, and 3rd place in Group B doesn't (which at this point is reasonably likely), we would play the Group F winner so likely Ronaldo and co.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Depends which 4 3rd place teams get through.

If we go through in 3rd we'll definitely play either winner of Group B, Group E or Group F. B is likely to be Spain, the other two still up for grabs but E will likely be Romania, Slovakia or Belgium and F will likely be Portugal.

Group E looks like the one we'll be hoping for should we do our part then!

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Group E looks like the one we'll be hoping for should we do our part then!

Thanks.

Edited my response before you actually posted. It is most likely at this point to be Group F, the Portugal one.

We can only get Group E if the 3rd place in groups A, B and D all qualify along with either E or F. It's by far the least likely option. Two of those groups (B & D) are currently the ones most likely to have a 3rd place team finish on 1 point.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It’s probably going to be Portugal. Ideally they slip up against Turkey, because I think we’d have a shot at beating Turkey.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Edited my response before you actually posted. It is most likely at this point to be Group F, the Portugal one.

We can only get Group E if the 3rd place in groups A, B and D all qualify along with either E or F. It's by far the least likely option. Two of those groups (B & D) are currently the ones most likely to have a 3rd place team finish on 1 point.

Is it easy to explain quickly how it is worked out which 3rd placed teams are placed where in the R16 draw?

Since the draw came out all I've seen is 3 possible positions for 3rd in Group A and have no idea how to determine where we would go.

Edited by H Wragg

1 minute ago, H Wragg said:

Is it easy to explain quickly how it is worked out which 3rd placed teams are placed where in the R16 draw?

Since the draw came out all I've seen is 3 possible positions for 3rd in Group A and have no idea how to determine where we would go.

IMG_7217.jpeg