Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

Not sure which is the most Scotland way to get knocked out 

1) Lead for nearly the whole game, miss a hatful of chances and concede a late equaliser (out on 2 points when a won would have been ok)

2) Win and the nation thinks we are through but get knocked out days later as four other teams end up with 4 points and a better GD

3) Hungary just outright batter us 4-0 

Option 2 is giving me the absolute fear based on the belief from everyone that 4 points will be enough. It should be enough but we will definitely not know that at full time and will have to wait for other groups to finish.

That being said I think we've had more than our fair share of GD heartbreak, and we deserve a break this time and will actually do it :)

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Assuming the unlikely scenarios mentioned above don't play out and a draw does eliminate both teams (and this is known by kick off on Sunday) this is potentially one of my favourite type of matches where a draw is no use to either team and if it's level with ten minutes to go it's absolute carnage as both sides pile forward.

Bit different given the team I support will be playing in it though.

As I said on the Swiss thread, I can see the case for a back 4 and it's probably what I'd go with as I think it gets more of our best players on the pitch, but I would expect Clarke to stick with the usual shape and just put McKenna in for Tierney. Maybe if Hanley is goosed due to lack of game time we go to a 4 with McKenna and Hendry in the middle.

One thing I've thought about but not read anywhere is assuming has Gilmour passed any concussion tests, I'm pretty sure he came off as he had taken a bang to the head. Would be very Euro 2020 if we played crap in the first game, brought Gilmour in for the second and then had him ruled out of the third.

It won't be known before kick off on Sunday that a draw eliminates both teams (or it's unlikely to be known anyway) but I think both will assume it anyway. The chances of going through on 2 points are so remote as to not be worth considering during the game, and Hungary clearly can't get 3rd with a draw.

I thought Gilmour went off partly because he was knackered and partly because he got clattered in a challenge just before it but I didn't think it was a head knock.

Got to be a 451 for me, not only does it get our best players on the pitch but it probably fits our subs best too. 

Gunn

Ralston Hendry Hanley(McKenna) Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn            McTominay         Christie

Adams

Not convinced Clarke will do it though. Gives us options with Armstrong (if fit), Forrest, Morgan able to slot into the advanced roles if we're pushing for a goal. 

1 minute ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Got to be a 451 for me, not only does it get our best players on the pitch but it probably fits our subs best too. 

Gunn

Ralston Hendry Hanley(McKenna) Robertson

Gilmour McGregor

McGinn            McTominay         Christie

Adams

Not convinced Clarke will do it though. Gives us options with Armstrong (if fit), Forrest, Morgan able to slot into the advanced roles if we're pushing for a goal. 

There's much sense in this. But it also comes with risks.

Ralston (and Robertson for that matter) are not protected defensively by a wider centre back and will need to be more switched on in stopping opponents getting past them. Hanley (whose stamina / sharpness is a concern) or McKenna (who isn't as quick) are going to have to cover more ground and be stretched thinner too.

But I like the attacking side of it.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's much sense in this. But it also comes with risks.

Ralston (and Robertson for that matter) are not protected defensively by a wider centre back and will need to be more switched on in stopping opponents getting past them. Hanley (whose stamina / sharpness is a concern) or McKenna (who isn't as quick) are going to have to cover more ground and be stretched thinner too.

But I like the attacking side of it.

I think we have to show ambition here, the defensive risks are outweighed a bit in Ralston's case by the fact that he could sit deeper (and it's his natural position). 

Incidentally, I have had a look at probabilities of 2 points being enough, based on current standings and bookies odds for the results it would need, the current chances today are around 10-11%  but if results all go our way (obviously unlikely) that could be as high as 47% by Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I think we have to show ambition here, the defensive risks are outweighed a bit in Ralston's case by the fact that he could sit deeper (and it's his natural position). 

Incidentally, I have had a look at probabilities of 2 points being enough, based on current standings and bookies odds for the results it would need, the current chances today are around 10-11%  but if results all go our way (obviously unlikely) that could be as high as 47% by Sunday. 

There's no way two points would be enough. Even three points probably won't be enough.

EDIT: Obviously I know we can't finish on three points any more

Edited by Gaz

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There's no way two points would be enough. Even three points probably won't be enough.

EDIT: Obviously I know we can't finish on three points any more

Well, there self evidently are ways that two points would be enough and at somewhere between 10% and 40% it's not even that unlikely a scenario. It probably won't happen and the fact we'll be sitting on 2 points for others to know what they need to do if that scenario comes to pass makes it less likely but it's far from impossible.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well, there self evidently are ways that two points would be enough and at somewhere between 10% and 40% it's not even that unlikely a scenario. It probably won't happen and the fact we'll be sitting on 2 points for others to know what they need to do if that scenario comes to pass makes it less likely but it's far from impossible.

I mean it obviously *could* happen mathematically. I just mean that I believe there is no way it'll be enough.

Group D - Netherlands beat Austria, France beat Poland, Poland and Austria draw - Poland and Austria both finish on one point
Group E - Slovakia beat Ukraine, Romania beat Belgium, Ukraine and Belgium draw - Ukraine and Belgium both finish on one point
Group F - Turkey beat Czech Republic, Portugal beat Georgia, Georgia and Czech Republic draw - Georgia and Czech Republic both finish on one point

Any two of those happen and we're through on two points.

32 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I mean it obviously *could* happen mathematically. I just mean that I believe there is no way it'll be enough.

I don't think it'll happen either but there are more pathways for it to do so than I expected. The chances aren't low enough to say there's "no way". Stranger things have happened. After QoS were held by St Johnstone in the League Cup groups last season we were as good as out. To go through as the last "best 3rd place" team we needed to beat Elgin and have SEVEN other results go a specific way including two games where we needed someone specifically to win on penalties and a couple of others where we needed specific margin of victories. The odds were atomically small. They all came up, we snuck through and got Rangers away in the last sixteen making a fortune. The odds of Scotland going through on 2 points are much, much better than that.

21 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Group D - Netherlands beat Austria, France beat Poland, Poland and Austria draw - Poland and Austria both finish on one point
Group E - Slovakia beat Ukraine, Romania beat Belgium, Ukraine and Belgium draw - Ukraine and Belgium both finish on one point
Group F - Turkey beat Czech Republic, Portugal beat Georgia, Georgia and Czech Republic draw - Georgia and Czech Republic both finish on one point

Any two of those happen and we're through on two points.

And Italy beat Croatia, Spain beat Albania leaves 3rd place in that group on 1 point.

Any two of four groups there does.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And Italy beat Croatia, Spain beat Albania leaves 3rd place in that group on 1 point.

Any two of four groups there does.

Also in Group C - if Serbia beat Slovenia, England beat Denmark, England beat Slovenia and Serbia beat Denmark, then Denmark and Slovenia will finish on 1 point as well

That's five chances!

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Also in Group C - if Serbia beat Slovenia, England beat Denmark, England beat Slovenia and Serbia beat Denmark, then Denmark and Slovenia will finish on 1 point as well

That's five chances!

Yeah, although both that one (Denmark) and the Belgium group involve a heavily favoured nation collapsing to a winless group which is less likely than the others so I'm not really looking at them at this stage. And the Group F one requires the Turks to beat the Czechs and the Czechs to be held to a draw by Georgia.

If we're to get through on 2 points we probably need wins for Italy v Croatia, Spain v Albania, Netherlands v Austria, France v Poland and a Poland v Austria draw.

4 hours ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Not sure which is the most Scotland way to get knocked out 

1) Lead for nearly the whole game, miss a hatful of chances and concede a late equaliser (out on 2 points when a won would have been ok)

2) Win and the nation thinks we are through but get knocked out days later as four other teams end up with 4 points and a better GD

3) Hungary just outright batter us 4-0 

Option 2 is giving me the absolute fear based on the belief from everyone that 4 points will be enough. It should be enough but we will definitely not know that at full time and will have to wait for other groups to finish.

That being said I think we've had more than our fair share of GD heartbreak, and we deserve a break this time and will actually do it :)

Option 4 is a variation of 2) - have 3 other teams with a better GD and one with the exact same then get knocked out by virtue of more red/yellow cards. Getting knocked out on disciplinary points would be new.

9 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Playing Ralston won't do us any good.

Hungarians look like brutes and will bully any weak links.

So like a West of Scotland football team. The Magyar Maryhill? 

Unsure how this'll go. I could see any outcome tbh from us losing early goals and the whole enterprise going as flat as a pancake to us charging into a 3-nil lead and anything in between.

Whatever happens if the players play a good game I won't be too disappointed even if we don't make it through.