Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 v 🇭🇺 Hungary

Scary Bear

No sure what to make of that. Ultimately, we got what we deserved for being so fucking defensive. Pure, distilled Scotland at the end there.

Just now, eez-eh said:

We clearly don’t have worse players than Albania and Georgia FFS. But we’ve been the most toothless side of the lot.

We might have worse forwards than them though - and that’s why we’re so toothless. 

1 minute ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

And yet at no time during that game - goal excluded obviously - did we look really susceptible at all.  Even the much maligned Ralston looked comfortable.  If anything our slow pace on absolutely everything was what made us look in any way vulnerable.

For me, Jack Hendry was immense by the way.  Someone who's had a bit of stick in the past, but was by far and away best of the defenders for me.

Our back line looked OK because Hungary just let us play out then shut things down from there. 

Germany hounded our back line. Forced square passes or a punt upfield to lose possession. 

Both tactics worked. 

Hendry, Hanley etc are poor defenders. Most of this team is rank average at this level. Even against average teams like Hungary. It isn't just a coaching thing. 

11 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

There’s the huge caveat of it being a 24 team tournament now. The only other manager who had a level playing field was Strachan.

True that's a fair point but Clarke still lifted the expectations of the Scotland team, where were we before he came in?

And his pragmatic approach may still have paid off if the form of guys like Robertson and McGinn hadn't dropped off a cliff. We're not a good enough team to have a couple of our best players not performing anywhere near their best, especially with a couple of key injuries too.

However, he is totally culpable for not being more positive from the start tonight, and even more so for not recognising that mistake once the game had started.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I could’ve had my view obscured from the stadium, but how has no player taken one for the team on the half way line in the run up to their goal. Just allowed them to breeze past us at ease with a tap in at the back post. 

Was Christie who was nearest, never happening. 

McIntyre, Chrighton, Miller and Thompson an Radio Scotland utterly bewildered at the lack of attacking intent.

Edited by Richie

24 team Euros has really changed the narrative. We haven't reached the final 16 since 1996. We were in an 8 team Euros in 92 and we were making our as if this would have been a historical achievements. We're just still failing on shifted goalposts. 

Which isn't to say that we haven't been better under Clarke than most others, or that the last couple of qualifying campaigns haven't been better than most other campaigns this century. But it's been a relatively marginal improvement helped by shifted goalposts. 

The only way Steve Clarke will go is if he resigns. He absolutely won't be sacked.

Even if Davie Moyes is interested I am not sure he's the man for it, as many above have said he's another very defensively-minded manager. Good at getting results at smaller clubs but international management a very different thing to day to day club management.

Bottom line Scotland from the manager downward have had a poor tournament. This was meant to be a golden generation, the best group we've had in many a long year, and they choked, very badly.

Many players exposed as simply not being good enough at this level, or under-performed badly. Fatigue through too much club football may be an issue (England have also been rank thus far). I agree that the tactical system should be much more flexible rather than setting up to shitfest it. But, that's how Scotland play when they reach the finals of international tournaments, at least ever since the days of Willie Ormond and the World Cup of 1974.

We need to progress as a team from being able to get past Lithuania and Gibraltar, to being able to get past middle ranking teams like Hungary and Switzerland. That has to be the next target and is the only way we'll ever get past a group. How we do that is probably a much more complex answer than sacking the manager, better youth academies and infrastucture.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Just now, rainbowrising said:

Our back line looked OK because Hungary just let us play out then shut things down from there. 

Germany hounded our back line. Forced square passes or a punt upfield to lose possession. 

Both tactics worked. 

Hendry, Hanley etc are poor defenders. Most of this team is rank average at this level. Even against average teams like Hungary. It isn't just a coaching thing. 

I get that, obviously, although I'd still say in terms of what he tried to do both defensively and offensively Hendry was extremely good tonight.  If anything, we were let down by players who have for so long been our go-to options (McGregor and Robertson in particular)

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Is 15 minutes of attacking intent over 270 minutes deserving of advancement ?  No, I don't think so either.

This.

👍

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, s_dog said:

True that's a fair point but Clarke still lifted the expectations of the Scotland team, where were we before he came in?

And his pragmatic approach may still have paid off if the form of guys like Robertson and McGinn hadn't dropped off a cliff. We're not a good enough team to have a couple of our best players not performing anywhere near their best, especially with a couple of key injuries too.

However, he is totally culpable for not being more positive from the start tonight, and even more so for not recognising that mistake once the game had started.

Clarke has got us back to tournaments, and that’s excellent, but if a draw and couple of defeats is the best he can manage, then I’m asking myself what’s the point?

Back to the Think Tank.

Edited by Scary Bear