Scotland's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Scotland's next permanent manager?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see why that carries any more risk to be honest.

Someone that likely won't know the players as well, the culture, language, hates the shitey weather, someone that might hate living here etc etc 

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Do people genuinely forget that Scotland qualified for the previous two European Championships?

There's nothing blind about being loyal to the best manager we've had in two decades.

We haven't won in seven competitive games. Big deal.

Apart from Germany and Spain, the other 5 matches were close.

Be careful what you wish for.

Knowing the SFA they'll appoint Alex McLeish.

Is that what you think aye? You should have said so before.

40 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Clarke to get us qualified then bring in Bora Milutinović for the finals, simple stuff 😉

Christ if he's still alive he must be in his what 80s?

--------

Edit just checked and he turned 80 yesterday, I'm very proud of that guess now 🤣

Edited by Old Bing

4 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Scott Brown or Barry Ferguson is better than Billy Gilmour? Hahahaha

I has always wondered who he was claiming was the talent we used to have 10 years ago. Now we know. 

Scott Brown and Ferguson should sue their agents. What wi that top talent sitting there undiscovered at Birmingham City/Blackpool and the SPFL. 

54 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

Christ if he's still alive he must be in his what 80s?

--------

Edit just checked and he turned 80 yesterday, I'm very proud of that guess now 🤣

He must be at least 80. Not heard of him for a good while. Maybe early 2000s?

Good guess. Belated happy returns Bora :D 

Edited by Claudia Gentile
Just missed other edit

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Someone that likely won't know the players as well, the culture, language, hates the shitey weather, someone that might hate living here etc etc 

Doesn’t need to live here tbf, Clarke doesn’t. 

14 hours ago, Chripper said:

We're in a group of 24 of the best countries in Europe.

Jesus wept.

Really? We once had a midfield of Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown and Barry Ferguson. With McFadden up front.

That's better than the current midfield.

Don't be disingenuous by suggesting that this is the golden era of Scotland. It's not.

We could easily go another 20 years without qualifying for anything.

I suppose the mob mass hysteria and being in the echo chamber is funner than seeing Scotland up against the biggest and brightest.

I'm not sure if you're massively overrating the trio of Fletcher/Brown/Ferguson or massively underrating the current midfield. Probably both.

But let's be absolutely clear. Scott McTominay and John McGinn have already achieved more in the game than either Brown or Ferguson ever did. And Gilmour is more talented than any of them. 

You've also conveniently ignored our two top class left backs and young talents like Hickey and Doak.

McFadden was a fan favourite and I'll give you that his 1-in-3 scoring record for Scotland marginally better Lyndon Dykes, but let's not pretend he was our version of Erling Haaland.

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Failure to qualify for the Euros in their current format would be dreadful.  It was when Strahan managed it.

Yeah, it should take a really exceptional set of circumstances for a manager not to be sacked immediately for failing to qualify for a 24 team Euros. It was mortifying that Strachan was rewarded with a new contract after doing so.

Getting to a World Cup is obviously much harder, but Euros qualification every time should simply be the minimum expectation for Scotland now.

10 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, it should take a really exceptional set of circumstances for a manager not to be sacked immediately for failing to qualify for a 24 team Euros. It was mortifying that Strachan was rewarded with a new contract after doing so.

Getting to a World Cup is obviously much harder, but Euros qualification every time should simply be the minimum expectation for Scotland now.

Qualifying for the World Cup (even with the upcoming expansion) should be considered equivalent to making it to the last 16 at the Euros.

We narrowly missed out on the last World Cup as a beaten playoff semi finalist which is further evidence that we are in the 17-24 band of European sides (back to back euros group stage exits and finishing 2nd and 1st respectively in league B groups also suggests this).

IMO the aim should be to get into the 10-16 range, 17-24 should be considered par for the course, and falling out of the top 24 (as Clarke is showing signs of, IMO) is grounds for being sacked.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

McLeish lost to Peru in 2018 with Dylan McGeouch and Lewis Stevenson playing.

Clarke has the win ratio as McLeish.

It's utter nonsense to say Clarke is working miracles with a terrible squad. 

I don't know, I'd say winning one of 14 is pretty miraculous.