Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

They should, but they have been so lethargic I wouldn't be putting money on them especially at the odds available. 

Bellingham looks exhausted and Kane just isn't right. Nigel Cardigan won't drop them though.

If he brings in Ainoo and Palmer i can see them being a bit more energetic.

Could be all part of Nigel Cardigan's master-plan and they will get out of second gear now the knockout stages are at hand.

However it isnt always easy to shake off a poor run of permonances going from the preparation games into the group stages.

Just look at Scotland & Italy for examples of that. England do have a better squad obviously.

i can still see it being a performance far from what the Nigels expect.

Could even go to extra-time & penalties.

I have been happy enough to see this team sh*tfest-it through the group and exploit any good luck.  However, England need to shake off this malaise for the reason you state.  Slovakia should have two lads playing in midfield who are streetwise from playing in Sirie A. If we lose because we didn't turn up, or were out-thought, It will be annoying.  I suspect there are some players carrying injuries and we have heard of players from a few teams being ill and training on their own.  If there is no illness, the temperate seems lower today so a bit more zip would be welcome.

12 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Germany are actually very good, and on another night could have scored 3 or 4 more. 

Denmark didn't have a goalkeeper with poppadom wrists, otherwise this would have been a tanking worse than Scotland's.

As poor as England have been so far, I don't think even they can make a c**t of this.

A lacklustre display before going a goal up and coasting to the win I think.

Can't see it happening but I'd love an early Slovakia goal to get the pundits panicking for a while.

15 hours ago, kingjoey said:

A lot of pundits know the Laws, but don't like them, so want decisions made that follow the Laws that they think should be in force.

…..and fans. I think I know the rules, but a little part of my love of the beautiful game dies every time I see one these silhouette handball penalties awarded.

I will try to change my thinking in that in order to benefit from these, you surely have to be the team on the front foot more often than not, so it statistically rewards attacking football.

57 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

As poor as England have been so far, I don't think even they can make a c**t of this.

A lacklustre display before going a goal up and coasting to the win I think.

Can't see it happening but I'd love an early Slovakia goal to get the pundits panicking for a while.

I'd agree with all of that. I do think England will come unstuck in the knockout stages before this tournament is done. There are teams who can definitely cause them big problems especially in the wide areas,  whether that's today I don't know.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd agree with all of that. I do think England will come unstuck in the knockout stages before this tournament is done. There are teams who can definitely cause them big problems especially in the wide areas,  whether that's today I don't know.

Can't see them going out the day. But one lives in hope!

Poor as England have been, I still think they have every chance in this tournament.

They'll probably win today, even if still not up to much.  Switzerland would then be tough, but the reality is that they're unlikely to meet a recognised power until the final.

They've got too many good players to be perennially rubbish.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Poor as England have bern, I still think they have every chance in this tournament.

They'll probably win today, even if still not up to much.  Switzerland would then be tough, but the reality is that they're unlikely to meet a recognised power until the final.

fry.jpg

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Poor as England have bern, I still think they have every chance in this tournament.

Switzerland and Austria are (surprisingly) the teams I have been impressed most by at this Euros.

I think Switzerland would beat England at this moment in time, based on both teams performances at the Euros so far.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Switzerland and Austria are (surprisingly) the teams I have been impressed most by at this Euros.

I think Switzerland would beat England at this moment in time, based on both teams performances at the Euros so far.

Yeah, both teams have hit some impressive peaks.

Pish like this is why people hate England. England might well pump Slovakia today they might not but to just start talking matter of factly that one of the best CH's in the world can't handle probably the biggest underperforming striker in the tournament right now is laughable.

It may well be that Kane has the game of his life today and ragdolls Skriniar but much poorer CH's than him have kept Kane very, very quiet so far this tournament.

Screenshot_20240630_162159_BBC Sport.jpg

The only real fun left in the tournament now is guessing when the commentor/fans like Wrighty get their inevitable comeuppance..

A semi at the semis, an emission if it's at the final and a full blown change of underwear explosion if it goes to penalties.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

The only real fun left in the tournament now is guessing when the commentor/fans like Wrighty get their inevitable comeuppance..

A semi at the semis, an emission if it's at the final and a full blown change of underwear explosion if it goes to penalties.

I realised when I was watching it in Germany how much the commentary/studio stuff ruins watching games involving England. I now just want them out asap so I can actually enjoy watching it and not have to listen to their pish all game.