Round of 16 thread

JS_FFC

30 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Poor as England have been, I still think they have every chance in this tournament.

They'll probably win today, even if still not up to much.  Switzerland would then be tough, but the reality is that they're unlikely to meet a recognised power until the final.

They've got too many good players to be perennially rubbish.

Of course they do. France have been garbage as well, ams I'd have had those two as the favourites before the tournament started. Neither can be written off as you know both teams have more in them. 

I also don't doubt England have the experience to shitfest a win. Southgate might get pelters for.bis style, but they don't concede a lot either

Spain and Germany have looked good, but only one can be in the semi-final. These teams are both good enough to win it as well, although they have a much tougher path and I wouldn't be surprised to see them dragged to ET at least once if one of them does indeed make the final. 

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pish like this is why people hate England. England might well pump Slovakia today they might not but to just start talking matter of factly that one of the best CH's in the world can't handle probably the biggest underperforming striker in the tournament right now is laughable.

It may well be that Kane has the game of his life today and ragdolls Skriniar but much poorer CH's than him have kept Kane very, very quiet so far this tournament.

Screenshot_20240630_162159_BBC Sport.jpg

It's the usual meaningless drivel that sounds like he is saying something tactically significant. 

Is Kane just going to be unleashing endless shots from 20+m out, left and right? Defensively, the Slovaks would probably be OK with that. 

4 minutes ago, btb said:

The only real fun left in the tournament now is guessing when the commentor/fans like Wrighty get their inevitable comeuppance..

A semi at the semis, an emission if it's at the final and a full blown change of underwear explosion if it goes to penalties.

Scotland have done f*** all at World Cups and Euro Championships for as long as I can remember (and for 9 years before I can remember.)

Every time they qualify I think "Maybe this time we'll get out of the groups". I don't think I'm going to live long enough to see it.

On the other hand I can remember England winning the World Cup, reaching the Euros final and being in numerous semi finals over the two tournaments.

I've an awful feeling I'll live long enough to see them win one of them again, although if it's not this one, maybe I won't.

26 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Switzerland and Austria are (surprisingly) the teams I have been impressed most by at this Euros.

I think Switzerland would beat England at this moment in time, based on both teams performances at the Euros so far.

This is a perfectly reasonable take - you can’t just say that because England have good players they will go all the way. Their performances have been utter pish and Switzerland and Austria are good sides that are full of energy and confidence so it’s completely reasonable to fancy either of them to beat England based on what we’ve seen.

Ive got no idea what to expect from England here. Hopefully they are still shite.

44 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Can't see them going out the day. But one lives in hope!

Growing up it was anybody but England, nowadays they always seem to find a way to go out. 

You've just got to sit back and let it play out. 

I seriously doubt Southgate has the in game nous to guide what should be a talented group to success.

The subsequent fallout from the media is as equally entertaining.

Come on Slovakia.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

I actually don't mind most of England's players or their manager. However, their fans and media are fucking twats which means I cannot wish them anything other than a swift exit.

Our media are definitely twats, as are many of our fans.

I want them eliminated too, but some of our justifications are a stretch. 

I actually think their media have been fairly restrained ( probably because the team's been poor). During the Swiss game yesterday, Lineker and co were making a point of saying "IF England get through..."

Just now, throbber said:

This is a perfectly reasonable take - you can’t just say that because England have good players they will go all the way. Their performances have been utter pish and Switzerland and Austria are good sides that are full of energy and confidence so it’s completely reasonable to fancy either of them to beat England based on what we’ve seen.

Ive got no idea what to expect from England here. Hopefully they are still shite.

Switzerland and Austria also look like cohesive, well-drilled TEAMS rather than groups of individual players. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually think their media have been fairly restrained ( probably because the team's been poor). During the Swiss game yesterday, Lineker and co were making a point of saying "IF England get through..."

When an English TV or radio pundit, hinting at how good they are compared to their opponents, starts a sentence with " No disrespect but....." it's hard not to think they don't mean a single word of it.

It'll be interesting seeing if they can pick their performances up from fairly predictable and lethargic.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pish like this is why people hate England. England might well pump Slovakia today they might not but to just start talking matter of factly that one of the best CH's in the world can't handle probably the biggest underperforming striker in the tournament right now is laughable.

It may well be that Kane has the game of his life today and ragdolls Skriniar but much poorer CH's than him have kept Kane very, very quiet so far this tournament.

Screenshot_20240630_162159_BBC Sport.jpg

He won't be able to stop harry kane diving 

The reaction of the fans and pundits to the competition so far tells you all you need to know. An ugly amount of arrogance on display. 

Fair enough if they scraped through as it would be a bit of a shock, but they won the group and were not threatened at any point with not winning it. There's expectation and then there's just arrogance. 

Unfortunately, Slovakia are keech so they'll win 3-0 and the hype machine will notch it up. 

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Scotland have done f*** all at World Cups and Euro Championships for as long as I can remember (and for 9 years before I can remember.)

Every time they qualify I think "Maybe this time we'll get out of the groups". I don't think I'm going to live long enough to see it.

On the other hand I can remember England winning the World Cup, reaching the Euros final and being in numerous semi finals over the two tournaments.

I've an awful feeling I'll live long enough to see them win one of them again, although if it's not this one, maybe I won't.

Likewise, I was alive at 66 and all that but too young to take any real notice. 

They have had a couple of soft runs to semi finals and a final recenctly and blown each one.  Interestingly, both from a goal up. It's a team that loses it's way over 90.

So long as South America and at least a couple of the Euro giants match up in the World Cup I'm not sure when they will get a new honour there. Euros? Possible. 

I'm getting to an age where it doesn't bother me. I would just avoid the media rather than the team and anything they ever win. 

Ourselves? Losers that spend their lives talking of how "we don't make it easy for ourselves". A statement that implies we still get the job done but do it the hard way. We never get the job done. 

Edited by rainbowrising