Middle class Scottish things

On 05/07/2024 at 09:12, throbber said:

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the school situation on Dundee tbh - I knew Aberdeen had a fair share of posh schools therefor probably had a few rough ones as well. I’d say the schools in Inverness all seem pretty diverse from what I know - maybe @ICTChriscould shed some light on the class situation when he was at school there.

The school I went to definitely had no issues with the kids from nicer parts integrating with those on council estates, it didn’t seem to be an issue at all although there were a few kids who were visibly destitute who got a slightly harder time.

Sorry I have notifications turned off so didn’t see this.

There are no private schools in Inverness. When I was at school it was all different backgrounds, from the children of various rich businessmen to people from what a tabloid might call a sink estate who ended up in prison. Despite this, there was a bit of snootiness about the best school - when I was a kid a couple of families put placement requests for their kid to go to Millburn instead of my school, the IRA. I think Millburn was seen as having a better catchment area which I honestly don’t see. It was all pretty much the same. 

The High School was considered probably the roughest secondary in Inverness, its catchment area is Merkinch and the Ferry, which certainly back then had considerable poverty. The roll is pretty low there but I understand most years they didn’t present any kids for Highers.

One of my friends from primary school went to boarding school for secondary, I think he went to strath Allan. A guy I was mates with went to Gordonstoun for his sixth year on a scholarship, he ended up being mates with Zara Phillips.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Eating salted caramel

Hardly. Salted caramel is everywhere, eaten by all the common people. Almost passè really.

Do keep up.

Edited by beefybake

19 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

I golf down at Craigentinny and it is anything but middle class. The camaraderie is class and so is the Tennents.

It's the private golf courses and the mentality that comes with that I can't stand. Stand offish and 'I'm alright jack' mentality.

But, when most of us think of golf and the people who play it, it's those private clubs that spring to mind. Even the concept of membership fees is exclusivity - keep out the riff raff.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

But, when most of us think of golf and the people who play it, it's those private clubs that spring to mind. Even the concept of membership fees is exclusivity - keep out the riff raff.

Yeah the more I thought it after posting this yesterday the less I can argue against the point in fairness.

The best I can say is there are places out there that aren't like it, even if they are somewhat rare but they are every bit worth your time if you're golf daft.

20 hours ago, alta-pete said:

🤣. My mother used to go see big Horace 20+ years ago and still goes on about how he sorted her out. 

All the reviews were excellent however I known myself I need to see a female.

22 hours ago, alta-pete said:

🤣. My mother used to go see big Horace 20+ years ago and still goes on about how he sorted her out. 

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

All the reviews were excellent however I known myself I need to see a female.

If it's a family business you might be able to get Daphne or Maggie.

19 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Yeah the more I thought it after posting this yesterday the less I can argue against the point in fairness.

The best I can say is there are places out there that aren't like it, even if they are somewhat rare but they are every bit worth your time if you're golf daft.

My old man and his mate played one of the local public courses when they retired and they were by no means middle-class so aye, other non-snobby options are available! 

On 06/07/2024 at 17:23, ICTChris said:

Sorry I have notifications turned off so didn’t see this.

There are no private schools in Inverness. When I was at school it was all different backgrounds, from the children of various rich businessmen to people from what a tabloid might call a sink estate who ended up in prison. Despite this, there was a bit of snootiness about the best school - when I was a kid a couple of families put placement requests for their kid to go to Millburn instead of my school, the IRA. I think Millburn was seen as having a better catchment area which I honestly don’t see. It was all pretty much the same. 

The High School was considered probably the roughest secondary in Inverness, its catchment area is Merkinch and the Ferry, which certainly back then had considerable poverty. The roll is pretty low there but I understand most years they didn’t present any kids for Highers.

One of my friends from primary school went to boarding school for secondary, I think he went to strath Allan. A guy I was mates with went to Gordonstoun for his sixth year on a scholarship, he ended up being mates with Zara Phillips.

Yeah the IRA has Hilton in it's catchment and Millburn has Raigmore in it's so six and one really.  I think Millburn definitely produced the better footballers though, which is the main thing.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Owning a dry robe 

Depends on the context-ive seen birds wearing them watching football&as far as I'm concerned that's as schemie as pyjamas at the supermarket 

On 28/06/2024 at 20:45, Guest said:

3 bedroom deceivingly small new build house

Lol'd at this cos everycuunt and their granny tries their hardest to pay quarter of a million quid for one of these.

On 28/06/2024 at 20:47, Salt n Vinegar said:

I am a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society

I got kicked out there. Being too loud apparently. f**k you mate it's a pub.

On 03/07/2024 at 22:15, true fan said:

Front garden in the trampoline is also a tell

or battered sofa in the front garden (when I say battered I don’t mean distressed or post traumatic, I mean lovingly bathed in a flour and beer suspension and deep fried)

or children never in the garden (in their bedroom watching TV on a bracket on the wall 25 hours a day)

Ned’s the Gardner, not a shifty looking bunch of neredowells 

This has been sat on a landing in Whitfield for some months.

Written comments yet to provoke a response.

IMG-20240405-WA0001(1).jpg