What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I have several friends who are still active in the Labour Party. They are just appalled by this move

It must be really disappointing for them, especially if they're aware of Labour's history. Do you know if there's any move towards a Scottish pro-independence Labour Party breaking away from Starmer's obvious move towards the centre-right? Must be loads of Labour folk re-thinking their position.

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

It must be really disappointing for them, especially if they're aware of Labour's history. Do you know if there's any move towards a Scottish pro-independence Labour Party breaking away from Starmer's obvious move towards the centre-right? Must be loads of Labour folk re-thinking their position.

If people in SLab are looking for a new home there is one ready made for them in the SNP.  We’re further to the left on most policy issues than the Labour Party is.

Just imagine the absolute SCENES at Holyrood if some backbench Scottish Labour MSP's (Monica Lennon, Alex Lowrey, Mercedes Villalba to name a few) finally grew a spine and defected to join the SNP/Greens. The looks on Sarwar's/Baillie's faces would be too much. 

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Anas and Jackie most definitely do not like this idea. They'd be 

891655029_giphy(3).gif.37a3fc33144fd25865175b1b2036a7cf.gif

Don’t see Anus or Jackie being to upset by the direction that Keith has taken Labour.

9 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'd imagine that any left-wingers still in the Labour Party will be there out of terror that a split in the ranks will guarantee Conservative government in Westminster for the rest of our lifetimes.

It'll probably take a few more Conservative-Lite Labour administrations for the message to get through.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Labour Party employees and activists working against a Labour government being elected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62226042

“Labour's left and right wings both treated the issue of anti-Semitism as a "factional weapon" when Jeremy Corbyn was leader, a report says.“

Labour shouldn’t have a right wing

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

“Labour's left and right wings both treated the issue of anti-Semitism as a "factional weapon" when Jeremy Corbyn was leader, a report says.“

They have always had a right wing.

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They definitely have a right wing which includes a bunch of pro-Zionists.

They definitely have a right wing which includes a bunch of pro-Zionists.
I wouldn't even call them right wing - most them don't have a principle in their body. Some of them are also pro-Israel because it was politically convenient. I'm old enough to remember when Jim Murphy was pro-Palestinian - changed his views climbing the greasy pole that is NUS politics because he wanted UJS votes.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I wouldn't even call them right wing - most them don't have a principle in their body. Some of them are also pro-Israel because it was politically convenient. I'm old enough to remember when Jim Murphy was pro-Palestinian - changed his views climbing the greasy pole that is NUS politics because he wanted UJS votes.

Fair point.  There are one or two Labour MPs (maybe more) who have greater loyalty to Israel than to their own constituents.

Corbyn was too boring, he couldnt hold anyones attention long enough to get his point across. 

On another point about Labour and another good reason for independence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/21/great-english-city-sold-abu-dhabis-elite-manchester

Not that I expect Scottish politics to be any less corrupt within 20 years but at least we would be starting from a cleaner slate and we have the chance of creating a fairer society, unlike now

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Listening to Wes Streeting on LBC standing in for James O'Brien this morning, talking to a caller about Brexit, he ventured to suggest, as an aside, there should not be another refendum on Scottish Independence bringing up all the usual crap about a 300 year old union, now is not the time, we've already had one, etc, etc, etc.

He then said, "Oh dear, now the phone lines are going mad with callers from Scotland, and I'll address these shortly:

How many did he address?  Not a single solitary one!

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Listening to Wes Streeting on LBC standing in for James O'Brien this morning, talking to a caller about Brexit, he ventured to suggest, as an aside, there should not be another refendum on Scottish Independence bringing up all the usual crap about a 300 year old union, now is not the time, we've already had one, etc, etc, etc.

He then said, "Oh dear, now the phone lines are going mad with callers from Scotland, and I'll address these shortly:

How many did he address?  Not a single solitary one!

Surprising. 

The Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart podcast has Starmer on it this week. He came over and spoke quite well, but was horribly slipperly and evasive on brexit and indy and when asked about policies he just kept repeating "the economy" over and over again. 

Its all relative of course and he's aeons ahead of either of the Tory options. But there's just no substance to him. 

Good chance he'll pull a classic Labour move of losing the next ge despite all of the many, many advantages the Tories have gifted to him. 

37 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Surprising. 

The Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart podcast has Starmer on it this week. He came over and spoke quite well, but was horribly slipperly and evasive on brexit and indy and when asked about policies he just kept repeating "the economy" over and over again. 

Its all relative of course and he's aeons ahead of either of the Tory options. But there's just no substance to him. 

Good chance he'll pull a classic Labour move of losing the next ge despite all of the many, many advantages the Tories have gifted to him. 

Remember Joh  Smith talking about devolution being the "settled will" of the Scottish people. Well, the status quo - out of the EU and no more indyref - is the settled will of the English people, and anyone trying to be the UK prime minister needs to pander to this. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Remember Joh  Smith talking about devolution being the "settled will" of the Scottish people. Well, the status quo - out of the EU and no more indyref - is the settled will of the English people, and anyone trying to be the UK prime minister needs to pander to this. 

This is undoubtedly true but I found his policy stuff, not just on brexit and indy, so vacuous I think he's in serious danger of turning folk off. The blue rinses and racists, will vote, the GTTO Labour crowd  will vote but will a bland as f**k and anodyne "we'll do the same but more betterly" message get the less engaged off their arsed and to the polling booth? I don't think so and he'll need them.