What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Political posturing at its worst.  They don’t need any changes to their constitution to stop having a coalition with any other party.  I hope it comes back to bite them in the arse.

My big concern is the SNP having the courage to use their position if they hold the balance of power after the next GE.

22 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hilarious. Oddly, they appear to have no such principles with regard to the Tories.

Still, given that Labour suspended Edinburgh Labour Councillors for not supporting a deal with the Tories, I suppose that would be a bit of a stretch. 

Surely as British/English Nationalists the Tories would be included?

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely as British/English Nationalists the Tories would be included?

Given that Keir “Let’s Make Brexit Work” Starmer has discovered the joys of UK nationalism himself, the whole announcement gets even more bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any Labour Party members who post on here?

If so is there any serious debate still ongoing about getting rid of FPTP?

ETA I stumbled across this article that made me ask.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/27/unions-vote-down-local-labour-parties-call-to-axe-first-past-the-post

Edited by Granny Danger

They most certainly should be discussing scrapping FPTP. Given that opinion polls at the moment suggest Lab short of a majority and needing the support of the Lib Dems to form a govt, that would presumably be a central part of any negotiations. They definitely shouldn't hold another Referendum on it though, but make it part of policy to be enacted by a majority in parliament. 

Also, for all the talk of a Truss bounce in the polls, the Lab lead has increased since she took over to between 12-15%

33 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They most certainly should be discussing scrapping FPTP. Given that opinion polls at the moment suggest Lab short of a majority and needing the support of the Lib Dems to form a govt, that would presumably be a central part of any negotiations. They definitely shouldn't hold another Referendum on it though, but make it part of policy to be enacted by a majority in parliament. 

Also, for all the talk of a Truss bounce in the polls, the Lab lead has increased since she took over to between 12-15%

7th Sept Redfield and Wilton

Sample 2000

Lab 42%

Con 30%

Libs  14%

Green 6%

SNP 5%

Others 4%

Lab lead 12%

That is quite some Tory jump in 4 days....however, Lab vote is holding up...Lib Dems switching as ever to the Tories.

On 12/09/2022 at 22:22, Jedi said:

7th Sept Redfield and Wilton

Sample 2000

Lab 42%

Con 30%

Libs  14%

Green 6%

SNP 5%

Others 4%

Lab lead 12%

That is quite some Tory jump in 4 days....however, Lab vote is holding up...Lib Dems switching as ever to the Tories.

Dead queen bounce!

On 12/09/2022 at 19:56, Jedi said:

No no no. There was a referendum on the Westminster voting system eleven years ago, and I distinctly heard Nick Clegg say that it was a once in a generation opportunity.