What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

8 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Stramer's flunkies are currently furiously Googling the anniversary of every child murder victim in order to try and point score.

That's a depressing thought.

I prefer to believe Keef already carries around a wee book with the names and dates going back to 2010, which he scrupulously updates over a breakfast of dry toast and tabloid research/policy updating.

14 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Face the family sounds the like the name of a TV game show.

Some poor cunt is stood in front of his extended family and Bradley Walsh asks quick fire questions for half an hour and for every one they get wrong they get invited to another family get together.

I suppose, to Starmer’s credit, “force killers to face the victim’s families” is at least an actual policy proposal rather than meaningless buzzwords for a change.

It’s a dogshit, unworkable policy that he’s only hit out with because he’s a right wing populist ghoul, but still - that probably counts as progress. 

Got to hand it to Starmer, the more of a tory twonk he comes across, the more eager people are to vote for him to "get the tories out". Even managing to gain a foothold in Scotland in the process. Any shred of logic has been well and truly obliterated and it's working.

I’m beginning to think a benevolent dictatorship might be the best idea until we reach a position where the electorate are not so moronic.

If I were a few years younger I’d offer my services but age and supporting United has taken its toll.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

There's been another u turn today 🤣

No wealth tax under Labour, Rachel Reeves pledges

She also confirms that Sir Keir’s 2020 leadership pledge to increase the top rate of income tax is now off the table – making explicit a suggestion by the party leader in June that he was no longer keen on the idea.

Edit - Two actually (u-turns)

Shadow chancellor also confirms Starmer leadership pledge to increase 45p top rate is off the table

Edited by btb

18 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Do they have a single policy that is to the left of the Tories?

Dunno - my reaction to the two policy changes announced by Reeves today is why?

Anyone who was committed to voting Tory yesterday is not gonna say right I'm voting Labour now.

2 hours ago, btb said:

Dunno - my reaction to the two policy changes announced by Reeves today is why?

Anyone who was committed to voting Tory yesterday is not gonna say right I'm voting Labour now.

I have come to the conclusion that Starmer wants to reposition British politics; hounding out anyone with left-of-centre leanings and offering policy positions that give the option of centre-right or far-right from the two main political parties.

Ally that to the wholly undemocratic FPTP and it’s possible to have British politics devoid of any real democratic choices for the foreseeable future.

Once again the unwillingness of the Trade Unions to offer any resistance must be called into question.  They must genuinely believe that it’s an electioneering ploy and that a more progressive Starmer will emerge post election.  If so they are going to be very disappointed.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have come to the conclusion that Starmer wants to reposition British politics; hounding out anyone with left-of-centre leanings and offering policy positions that give the option of centre-right or far-right from the two main political parties.

Ally that to the wholly undemocratic FPTP and it’s possible to have British politics devoid of any real democratic choices for the foreseeable future.

Once again the unwillingness of the Trade Unions to offer any resistance must be called into question.  They must genuinely believe that it’s an electioneering ploy and that a more progressive Starmer will emerge post election.  If so they are going to be very disappointed.

Might be a bonkers reaction to today's result but could the Lib-Dems put forward a manifesto with carefully costed policies balanced with smallish tax increases on Wealth, Inheritance and maybe 1/2p on the top rate of income tax and totally fuck Labour up down south - I don't know whether that would make me laugh or cry.

The Lib-Dems could argue we've stayed where we were it's just Labour who've bypassed us chasing the Tories.

Edited by btb

2 hours ago, btb said:

Might be a bonkers reaction to today's result but could the Lib-Dems put forward a manifesto with carefully costed policies balanced with smallish tax increases on Wealth, Inheritance and maybe 1/2p on the top rate of income tax and totally fuck Labour up down south - I don't know whether that would make me laugh or cry.

The Lib-Dems could argue we've stayed where we were it's just Labour who've bypassed us chasing the Tories.

Except a sufficient number of people won’t vote for the LibDems.  Can’t say I blame them.