What is the point of labour ?

pawpar

11 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

So, just lie and get elected?

How did they do that? TThe £20 billion black hole being discussed today isn't the same one they warned about before the election. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

How did they do that? TThe £20 billion black hole being discussed today isn't the same one they warned about before the election. 

Isn’t it?  So are you suggesting it is a £32-38 billion black hole (£12-18bn from before the election, and a brand new £20bn one now)?

7 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Isn’t it?  So are you suggesting it is a £32-38 billion black hole (£12-18bn from before the election, and a brand new £20bn one now)?

Yes, pretty much. 

Today's announcement is about projects the Tories announced but never attached funding to, particularly transport projects. 

the IFS one was saying that day to day spending will drop by about £20 bn. except in ring-fenced areas. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Yes, pretty much. 

Today's announcement is about projects the Tories announced but never attached funding to, particularly transport projects. 

the IFS one was saying that day to day spending will drop by about £20 bn. except in ring-fenced areas. 

Not sure how to respond to this completely blatant gaslighting. 

From the BBC website:

Rachel Reeves’ plans are expected to include the cancellation of some road and rail projects, a reduction in spending on external consultants and a drive to cut public sector waste.

The bit I’ve highlighted is the insidious bit.  After 14 years of austerity where exactly is there ‘public sector waste’?  Had Labour highlighted any of the areas where such waste exists in their electioneering material?

I recall the Thatcher era when I was involved in local government when the exact same words were used to slash Local Authority spending in real terms year after year.

Edited by Granny Danger

Has Labour made any sort of statement on the situation in Palestine since coming to power?  I have tried Googling this but cannot find anything.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Has Labour made any sort of statement on the situation in Palestine since coming to power?  I have tried Googling this but cannot find anything.

Pretty sure Lammy called for a ceasefire soon after becoming foreign secretary. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Those pro Israeli Labour campaign election Schekels buy a lot of silence. 

Edited by I Clavdivs

🍿

6 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Ah, you are here.

So, tell us about the £20bn black hole, which you denies was even £18bn. Were Labour lying again?

Not allowed to comment on either the SNP or Labour, as we know, so clearly 'no comment'

Football and film/TV related comment only.

⚽

Edited by Jedi2

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Ooft - wealthy pensioners losing the winter allowance. The Heil will be foaming at the mouth. 

I’m not opposed to that, but it could create a precedent regarding means testing.

People with private pensions not getting full state pension?

4 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Not allowed to comment on either the SNP or Labour, as we know, so clearly 'no comment'

Really?  Maybe you can show us this ‘instruction’.  I for one would be intrigued!

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Ooft - wealthy pensioners losing the winter allowance. The Heil will be foaming at the mouth. 

Cost of just over £2bn last year. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284463/uk-winter-fuel-payment-expenditure/#:~:text=In 2023/24 the government,pay their winter energy bills.

Not really going to save very much money. 

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not opposed to that, but it could create a precedent regarding means testing.

People with private pensions not getting full state pension?

I fully expect not to recieve one (33 years off pension age, at least until it inevitably goes up again). I am in agreement that it makes little sense to be handing out money to wealthy pensioners, although the savings are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

I think this rather sums it up: 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I fully expect not to recieve one (33 years off pension age, at least until it inevitably goes up again). I am in agreement that it makes little sense to be handing out money to wealthy pensioners, although the savings are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 

I think this rather sums it up: 

Yup, except the Tory Lites have boxed themselves into a corner by saying they won’t touch NI contributions.  It strange given their lead times in the polls and all the other commitments that Starmer ditched he wouldn’t ditch one that might have helped.

Edited by Granny Danger