Who will win the league (very interesting league this time)

13 hours ago, MrDust said:

I don't see all this fuss with Ayr 

Have I missed a signing that's not been around the block and struggled to game time at clubs championship and below 

I said Patrick way back and still say Partick

I don’t think any of our signings fit that criteria besides Hastie. 

On 08/07/2024 at 15:30, ShaggerG said:

I think we may struggle early on if we don't have Donaldson, Lang, Morrison and McCann available. I think, with a fully fit team, we would be a match for anyone in the league though.

I am pretty sure you had most of players when we last played you and we humped you. 

14 hours ago, MrDust said:

Have I missed a signing that's not been around the block and struggled to game time at clubs championship and below 

From what I've heard that Rus is apparently very promising. Their signings of McMann, Stone, Oakley and Dowds have also really impressed me.

On 08/07/2024 at 15:30, ShaggerG said:

I think we may struggle early on if we don't have Donaldson, Lang, Morrison and McCann available. I think, with a fully fit team, we would be a match for anyone in the league though.

IMO squad depth will be one of the two big difference makers this year. Just going from what I've read but most clubs seem pretty happy with their starting eleven. I'm about as pessimistic as you'll get with regards to my thoughts on how the season will pan out for Dunfermline, however I also genuinely beleive that our starting eleven played in the best system would be more than a match for anyone in the division. The drama being as soon as we get one injury the drop off is pretty severe. 

The other big one is quality of manager, that's what makes Airdrie and Morton so interesting. They've had the largest turnover of squad, however Imrie and McCabe are the two best managers in the division IMO. 

18 hours ago, MrDust said:

Not that I believe betting but I see the top four are Raith, Partick, Livingston then Ayr

I don't think it will be us, at this stage.  We had a massive gap to 3rd place last season, but that was largely based on a ferocious first half of the season where we won a huge amount of points in closely fought games, often late on.

That dried up after Xmas, and coupled with a bit of expectation and pressure we weren't able to sustain a challenge.  I'm obviously pleased at our defensive reinforcements, however still feel we need an out and out centre forward in addition to Hamilton.

I'd say Partick look best placed, as it stands.

On 11/07/2024 at 21:42, MrDust said:

Ayr are investing cash on better players and it looks like we may have a decent squad size also. That is very important in this league where most teams have their work cut out with finances since covid days. If you look where we managed to finish last season despite the quality of our squad we are a good bit on from there. I also don't see many other teams kicking on and it looks like more of the same from last season.

This league gets a lot of praise on how good it is but actually it's teams being able to beat one another as nobody has the resources to put a run together. Most of the teams punching above their weight have been the ones with less budget. Whilst i don't think we will win the league we will be up nearer the top. If Raith replicate last season they have a chance and also Thistle but i'm still not sure whether Doolan knows his stuff or just has more backing than most .  

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly it won’t be us, injuries coming back to haunt us. Murray using the pass the ball in the net tactic McGlynn was famous for ( please not that shite again) our attacking options are limited. We had to rely on an OG so we held on to win on penalties. 

Based on how we’ve played so far, we won’t make the promotion play offs. Top four this season imo will be Queens Park, Partick, Ayr and Livi in no particular order. Injuries and a lack of a goal scorer are my reasonings for us staying out of the top 4. 

Dunfermline showing the early signs for a dismal campaign and a 10th placed finish. Morton don’t look too clever either but you get the feeling Imrie will somehow shithouse his way to a higher finish even after a bad start. 

Raith and Partick were early favourites but neither has shown up well in the league cup whereas Falkirk and Queens Park (aside from a pumping off Hibs) have been relatively comfortable. We’ve been mixed, results wise but most Ayr fans feel we’ll have a good season. If we somehow get another striker and a midfielder in then I think we can push for the top spot. We have strength in depth everywhere else on park. 

The important thing to remember is that the league cup games are usually a red herring and teams can be brilliant and yet have terrible league campaigns and vice versa. 

11 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Based on how we’ve played so far, we won’t make the promotion play offs. Top four this season imo will be Queens Park, Partick, Ayr and Livi in no particular order. Injuries and a lack of a goal scorer are my reasonings for us staying out of the top 4. 

I am very comfortable that it won’t be Queens Park.

19 hours ago, starshot131 said:

image.png.3c6f2e91a2bcefa2518e50b28b4cc0b7.png
Alright folks, this is it. My final prediction based on very well-thought-out results
QP for a stunning 54-point runaway lead, Morton in 54-point shambles

Seems fair

13 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Think you are reading into the cup a bit too much there. Dundee United failed to go through last season after losing at Spartans and lost at home to Partick and went on to win the league. Stirling Albion made it through and ended up getting relegated from L1. Partick and Raith are the main 2 contenders with Ayr and maybe Falkirk with the ability to also challenge.