El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

53 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

In their latest podcast episode, Micah Richards said he would take 7 or 8 England players over the Spain team.

They will never learn

Aye this sort of stuff is mental. They do it at every tournament too (the English pundits I mean).

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

In their latest podcast episode, Micah Richards said he would take 7 or 8 England players over the Spain team.

They will never learn

He is everything wrong with punditry. A total clown that's there as a paid fanboy and nothing else. He's also just gone and looked at club form or the club they play for and disapplied absolutely everything else. 

An example here is Foden - you asked me before the tournament and I'd have taken him ahead of Olmo. Based on the tournament, only an idiot would pick Foden. In fact, you'd have taken the entire England front 4 ahead of Spain's without any viewing of the tournament. After the tournament you'd take Spain's because the sum of the parts is some distance ahead of England's. 

42 minutes ago, Paranoid said:

I thought the Spanish goalie might have saved that shot from Palmer, although a decent strike. Maybe it did take a slight deflection.

The defending was main culprit 

Guy turned his back, made himself smaller 

Crossroads now for Ingerland - if Nigel Cardigan stays then they face the same tactical / cohesion problems, and he seems pretty scunnered now.  If they get someone new in then they may kick on, but equally, things may well go backwards with all the egos in their squad and the intense media pressure. Unless UEFA change the rules, they're likely to be in Pot 2 for the WC Quals (only first qualifies direct). 

They remind me a bit of the US Ryder Cup team - almost always miles better than Europe player-by-player on paper, and yet they lose more often than they win (especially in away editions, where they almost never win!). When they do win, it's at home and often involves cheating.

Edited by VictorOnopko

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He is everything wrong with punditry. A total clown that's there as a paid fanboy and nothing else. He's also just gone and looked at club form or the club they play for and disapplied absolutely everything else. 

He's no worse than Shearer, Wright, Jenas or any others.

17 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's no worse than Shearer, Wright, Jenas or any others.

Penas is the most boring man alive.

In other news, even as English chap I'm just glad this international shite is over. The amount of creatures who only come out for these games (never support their local club or anything else) is insane. They're not proper fans. 

Bring on the domestic season ASAP. 

Spain were leagues ahead and deserved to win. England limped across the line in every game playing negative dull football. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Girth

30 minutes ago, Michael W said:

An example here is Foden - you asked me before the tournament and I'd have taken him ahead of Olmo. Based on the tournament, only an idiot would pick Foden. In fact, you'd have taken the entire England front 4 ahead of Spain's without any viewing of the tournament. After the tournament you'd take Spain's because the sum of the parts is some distance ahead of England's. 

Not that I’m a Richard’s fan, but is this not more or less what he’s saying? That individually he’d pick a foden but the Spanish are more of a functioning unit. 

58 minutes ago, Michael W said:

because of Southgate ?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The English probably won't wish to acknowledge it, but in a sense football DID come home on Sunday night as the Spanish team employed the passing game introduced in Scotland in the late Victorian period.  Our wee gift to the world.

and beating Spain at Hampden 

It was said they put out " reserves " but are there such things after their tournament performance ?

On 10/07/2024 at 23:15, MarkoRaj said:

What I like about Spain is that not only have their young wingers shown up in a massive way, they are backed up by a surprise package in Ruiz and the best holding midfielder in world football (by a long way)

Defensively they are sound, full backs have been outstanding and Carvajal and Le Normand should be well rested. They are pretty much the full package, which is surprising considering how little they were talked about pre-tournament.

They've been the best team to watch by a mile, they haven't had to rely on penalties and the whole squad near enough has made an impact. 

This

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not that I’m a Richard’s fan, but is this not more or less what he’s saying? That individually he’d pick a foden but the Spanish are more of a functioning unit. 

It depends on the way it's said. I won't be listening to him because I spend enough time in my life listening to gibbering nonsense as it is, but there's a habit of it being phrased in terms of "2 or 3 of their players get in our team" with no context whatsoever. It's incredibly arrogant and dismissive, as well as being inaccurate. 

I am assuming two of the three they would pick would be Rodri and Ruiz ahead of Rice and Mainoo. I agree these two are better players, but you put them in and then what? Kane, whilst he's a much a better goal scorer than Morata, is not exactly known for his movement which might blunt the effectiveness. I'm sure Foden would benefit from his clubmate being there, but would it suit Saka and Bellingham? They don't move the same way that the Spanish attacking midfielders do. But, they are too blinded by the individuals and how they perceive them. 

It's a theme that seems to be a recurring one. Every so often, you will see the old "how did the England team of 2000-2010 not win a trophy". The short answer is that there were opponents that also had very good sides, but also they insisted Gerrard and Lampard must play together in the middle, Paul Scholes was played on the left and David Beckham usually on the right of midfield. There is absolutely no balance at all in that midfield, as they've just thrown in their best individuals and hoped for the best. But you would then listen to similar refrains of x and y won't get in our midfield. Maybe those players wouldn't score 55 goals a season between them, but the team would've had a lot more balance within it and might've performed better. 

8 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

and beating Spain at Hampden 

It was said they put out " reserves " but are there such things after their tournament performance ?

Aye, considering what their reserves did when playing in the tournament 

Our result against them is looking even more impressive 

And our collapse even more perplexing 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I don’t think any of these guys watch much football outside of England. Tbh I don’t see a problem with it, they’re paid to watch English football and it’s the league they are most interested in. You can’t have extensive knowledge of numerous leagues as there are only so many hours you can watch football for. They will probably do a crash course on a few of the best players to look out for on each team and take it from there.

I don’t think the media coverage was that bad at all and they didn’t come across as insufferable to the point I had to turn tv off. I actually think they put on a conscious effort not to irritate viewers in Scotland wales and NI due to complaints over the years. I remember how disgusted Gary Neville was over the penalty decision v Netherlands for example. Ian wright is definitely a token idiot however.

The issues were clear after their first game and I said as much to my dad.

Their front four are absolutely brilliant. All of them among the best in the world in their position but all play a totally different way for their club team. All four are also major focal points for their teams. When they play for England their having to share that responsibility with another three players, rather than sharing it with one at club level.

They would have been far more balanced with a front three of Kane, Saka and Gordon. Bellingham beside Mainoo with Rice behind them. Instead they forced the four of them in to a front four (despite no other countries playing this way). It was like Sven trying to force a 4-4-2 while everyone else played 4-2-3-1.

On 11/07/2024 at 18:49, throbber said:

I said it at time but that outburst from McGinn was poor and the sort of chat you’d expect from someone 30 years older than him. He a large part in Scotland being as good as they have been for some 25 years right now, they’ve got to the last 2 euros after a lengthy absence at international tournaments and he’s doing very well for himself down in England. Just leave the chat out altogether there was no need for it. Watkins looks pretty confused as to McGinn stance and it’s entirely one way.

I do sometimes wonder what certain people in Scotland expect to get back in return when they come out with ABE chat. 

The first time I saw one of these " AB  " t shirts

it was " anyone but Australia " worn by a Kiwi after they had thumped us at Murray field

All our convicts must have gone to NZ