El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

Not having this Kane is a good guy chat. He is a bawbag of the highest order. Literally the biggest cheat in world football.

Not enough has been made of his play acting, rolling around as if he had a broken ankle which led to VAR intervening and the awarding of that ludicrous penalty

Edited by Wile E Coyote

29 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Absolute tears at grown men feeling like they have to justify not wanting England to win.   Folks, it's a football match,  you're allowed to want a team to lose it. 

I hope they get battered senseless

Absolute tears?  That's weird.

I know we're allowed to want whoever to win.  Some of us don't mind a wee bit reflection though. It doesn't hurt, you know.

18 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

1 Bayern Munich player

1 Real Madrid player (champions league winner)

3 man city players (all champions league winners)

2 Arsenal players (inc. £100m player)

1 Newcastle player (la liga winner)

1 Man Utd academy graduate (fa cup winner)

Guehi won't be at Crystal Palace for long but apart from that he's a bit of an outlier given the above.

This squad is absolutely stacked with talent and it's mental to suggest otherwise

I think I’m correct in saying the Bayern Munich player hasn’t won a single major trophy and he will be 31 years old at the start of the new season.  I think playing him is holding England back in this tournament.  Will Southgate drop him for the final - perhaps with the excuse he is carrying an injury?

6 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

My missus is English and she passionately wants them to lose because she thinks it will continue to affect Coronation Street/Emmerdale scheduling, can't argue with that logic.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

43 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Not having this Kane is a good guy chat. He is a bawbag of the highest order. Literally the biggest cheat in world football.

Not enough has been made of his play acting, rolling around as if he had a broken ankle which led to VAR intervening and the awarding of that ludicrous penalty

Yeah I’m not having it either. Some of the fouls he buys backing into centre half’s and then going to ground are frankly laughable. No honest attempt to stay on his feet .

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I think I’m correct in saying the Bayern Munich player hasn’t won a single major trophy and he will be 31 years old at the start of the new season.  I think playing him is holding England back in this tournament.  Will Southgate drop him for the final - perhaps with the excuse he is carrying an injury?

He's joint top goalscorer in the tournament.

People talk such shit about him.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Absolute tears at grown men feeling like they have to justify not wanting England to win.   Folks, it's a football match,  you're allowed to want a team to lose it. 

I hope they get battered senseless

It’s the Needy Nigels though. They so desperately want a cuddle from north Britain.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's joint top goalscorer in the tournament.

People talk such shit about him.

I am aware of that. 

Of the top goal-scorers in the tournament he has played the 2nd most minutes and, if I recall correctly, two of his goals were penalties.  In other words if he didn’t take penalties he would have scored one goal in 572 minutes of play with no assists to his name.  I don’t think that’s a particularly good return.  On current form I think England have better options.

Like most things in football though, it’s all about opinions.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I do think this plays into it.  

It bugs me with the "Come on England" stuff tacked onto the end of unrelated programmes.  They do genuinely forget that they're broadcasting to the entire UK.  It's this thoughtless reading of the UK and England as synonymous which I'd imagine every non-English resident in the UK is familiar with.  

Again though, I can't help feeling I'm flailing around for things to be offended by, and to blame for why I'm so bitter and twisted.

I don’t think they genuinely forget they are broadcasting UK wide. They just don’t give a shit .

11 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I am aware of that. 

Of the top goal-scorers in the tournament he has played the 2nd most minutes and, if I recall correctly, two of his goals were penalties.  In other words if he didn’t take penalties he would have scored one goal in 572 minutes of play with no assists to his name.  I don’t think that’s a particularly good return.  On current form I think England have better options.

Like most things in football though, it’s all about opinions.

Only one was a penalty.  He's scored two in open play.

10 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I don’t think they genuinely forget they are broadcasting UK wide. They just don’t give a shit .

I think they forget it because they don't give a shit.

Lots of English people will rarely make any real or regular distinction between the UK and England in their thinking.  

The reality is that the vast majority of British viewers are English.  Where football is concerned though, the differences matter.  

5 hours ago, super_carson said:

I see plenty of the social media knuckle-draggers digging up McGinn's comments when he was interviewed alongside Watkins (saying he'd want Watkins to score 3 goals but England lose 4-3).  They seem to be completely missing the point that McGinn was making - that on a personal level we don't actually have a problem with anyone just because they are English (and certainly we shouldn't) but that the collective hype was infuriating and inescapable for those of us who have to share the coverage.  

There is an arrogance and entitlement when it comes to English sport, and it's probably magnified for us due to sharing ITV/BBC, and it's why I do enjoy seeing them fall flat on their face.  When you consider all of the other socio-political and historical factors, it's probably not hard to see why some (a lot?) of Scots want to see them get emptied at the first available opportunity but seems to be lost on our Southern neighbours.  

I said it at time but that outburst from McGinn was poor and the sort of chat you’d expect from someone 30 years older than him. He a large part in Scotland being as good as they have been for some 25 years right now, they’ve got to the last 2 euros after a lengthy absence at international tournaments and he’s doing very well for himself down in England. Just leave the chat out altogether there was no need for it. Watkins looks pretty confused as to McGinn stance and it’s entirely one way.

I do sometimes wonder what certain people in Scotland expect to get back in return when they come out with ABE chat. I hear Simon Jordan on talk sport constantly slating Scotland but I’d imagine he’s receiving never ending abuse from supporters north of the border. I think Scotland will be on the receiving end of some massive goading should the worst case scenario pan out on Sunday night.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This needs exploring again.  Maybe it deserves a new thread, but I don't tend to start them.

I desperately want England to lose, but recognise this as probably a bit pathetic.

I've lived in England, studied in England and worked there.  Obviously, I know and like plenty English people.  I don't mind Southgate and I quite like Kane, Rice and Saka.

Honestly though, I can scarcely bear the thought of England winning this.  I'm worse for this now than I was when younger.  I can attempt to rationalise it by bleating about the media, but in truth, our own are bloody worse.  I can say it's a football rivalry, but that's dated and one sided.  I certainly don't feel this revulsion towards any clubs like Annan, Ayr or Stranraer.  

The explanation of the giant chip on the shoulder seems like the best fit.  Do I/we need to grow up a bit?  Or is there a perfectly sensible and morally justifiable reason for feeling this way, that I just haven't yet hit upon?

I wouldn't give it a second thought.  A lot of folk in the English "provinces" have similar feelings about London.  I have lived and worked down there and still get wound up about the focus being on London, but I have mates brought up there who are sound.  I lived and worked in Dublin, too.  At first it is weird that your mate supports the same player as you for your EPL club and then wants him to get beaten by someone like Germany.   Then you just think, fair enough.  As for me, I will actually be in Scotland on Sunday night and would enjoy watching this game having a few low-profile pints, for the experience.  I will head out and recognize the pub will be the place for me that night and not P&B 😉

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

I said it at time but that outburst from McGinn was poor and the sort of chat you’d expect from someone 30 years older than him. He a large part in Scotland being as good as they have been for some 25 years right now, they’ve got to the last 2 euros after a lengthy absence at international tournaments and he’s doing very well for himself down in England. Just leave the chat out altogether there was no need for it. Watkins looks pretty confused as to McGinn stance and it’s entirely one way.

I do sometimes wonder what certain people in Scotland expect to get back in return when they come out with ABE chat. I hear Simon Jordan on talk sport constantly slating Scotland but I’d imagine he’s receiving never ending abuse from supporters north of the border. I think Scotland will be on the receiving end of some massive goading should the worst case scenario pan out on Sunday night.

Simon Jordan should be getting non stop abuse from everyone

7 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Flynn being called a "Xenophobe" for not wanting England to win is hilarious. What a strange lot they are.

Desperate to be loved. England are the Novak Djokovic of world football.

Without the trophies, obviously…