El Final: 🇪🇸 Spain v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

ClydeTon

11 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Simon Jordan should be getting non stop abuse from everyone

I don’t usually listen to talksport so don’t have much of an opinion of him. It seems like Jim Whyte has annoyed him quite a bit.

11 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

I've been trying to come to terms with England winning something in the near future for a while now, since 2018 when they were almost as jammy with the draw.

I try not to let it bother me. I've stopped watching any build up and switch the TV off at half time and immediately at full time (if they win). I don't read any analysis, I avoid the news etc.

I can't help but get caught up in it though. I'm almost as wound up as when I watch Scotland in big games. I'm nervous when they're chasing a lead and raging when they're winning.

I try to be rational about it - it's just a game, they're bound to win one eventually - but it's just impossible. I fucking hate the c***s. I hate every one of their players, I hate their fans, I hate the pundits. I hate every single one of them. I hope they get ridden on Sunday and I hope they never win anything. I'll never stop hating them.

And then when they lose I go back to normal and watch the same players and the same pundits every week without a second thought.

It's pretty pathological tbh, it's mad how ingrained it is

You hate every single one of them ? Even Ant & Dec ? Keith Richards ? The guy who does the weather on BBC Scotland ? Pretty pathological is one way of putting it.. pathetically petty is another, straying into the hinterland between xenophobia and racism is another. Hope they lose by all means and get utterly pissed off by the 'come on England' from all corners of the 'British' media but don't let it turn you stupid.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Since then Scots have been painted as people who have chips on their shoulders.

I think you might be onto something here.

We like to think of ourselves as a proud, passionate country full of hardworking and friendly people. 

We generally welcome visitors to our shores, we're fiercely proud of our history and heritage. 

As a nation we've overachieved in the majority of non sporting fields and can rightly bask in the achievements of our predecessors.

When it comes to sport however, the cupboard is largely bare, individuals of fleeting brilliance in their respective sports at a given moment in time, yes undoubtedly.

The chip on our shoulder I believe derives from the lack of our own success or achievement in team sports at international level, predominately our national sport. Association football.

All the aforementioned hospitality and well wishing to strangers that we give out warmly and without restriction in any other walk of life goes out the window, all rational thinking not far behind it. 

As a nation, if we can't have success, then we'll be damned if our next door neighbours are having it or we should be actively cheering them onto it.

Its sport, not life or death, but 58 years and counting of failure by them in football does give a bit more of a jocular feel to things but there's still a deep rooted feeling of anyone but them. In sport you shouldn't want your rivals to succeed. I actually think Southgate comes across well as an individual but thats where the pleasantries and well wishing definitely ends.

Sunday night was the scenario most on here hoped we wouldn't get to but could definitely see playing out.

The drive for them not to succeed in sport is what makes us as people and as a collective, its what makes up for our own failings, its what should drive current and aspiring Scottish sports men and women on to rewrite history and create our own positive stories in their own respective sports.

If we had more of our own successes to celebrate would our outlooks change? Maybe, probably not. 

Most of us will have positive links over the border somehow, that doesn't ever mean we should want them to win at anything and don't ever feel guilty for thinking so either.

Cmon Spain.🇪🇸

9 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

You hate every single one of them ? Even Ant & Dec ? Keith Richards ? The guy who does the weather on BBC Scotland ? Pretty pathological is one way of putting it.. pathetically petty is another, straying into the hinterland between xenophobia and racism is another. Hope they lose by all means and get utterly pissed off by the 'come on England' from all corners of the 'British' media but don't let it turn you stupid.

Football aside, everyone should hate Ant & Dec.

15 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Why don't you shut the f**k up mate you're boring 

18 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That doesn't explain it for me.

I don't feel this antipathy to any local clubs.  Seeing our modern footballing relationship with England involving much actual 'rivalry' is also a bit of a stretch.

I'd understand this post if it was about Wales or the North of Ireland.  

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Top debating skills there.

Get yourself along to the Oxford Union.

I'm fairly sure at Oxford debating club they don't have to deal with banal questions like "What, even Ant and Dec?"

Worth mentioning that our women's team are playing tonight and are managed by a Spaniard, a sure sign of the inextricable cultural and footballing links between our two nations.

Mind you he's rubbish. 

On the needy, chippy English wheedling, 'So, now that you're out, are you supporting England, Jock? After all, we're all British innit?'

The media would never ask a Liverpool fan, 'Now that you're out of Europe, will you be supporting Man Utd? After, all etc etc'

15 hours ago, Red Kite said:

I wouldn't give it a second thought.  A lot of folk in the English "provinces" have similar feelings about London.  I have lived and worked down there and still get wound up about the focus being on London, but I have mates brought up there who are sound.  I lived and worked in Dublin, too.  At first it is weird that your mate supports the same player as you for your EPL club and then wants him to get beaten by someone like Germany.   Then you just think, fair enough.  As for me, I will actually be in Scotland on Sunday night and would enjoy watching this game having a few low-profile pints, for the experience.  I will head out and recognize the pub will be the place for me that night and not P&B 😉

Met a number of sound English boys when we were over in Germany from places like Sheffield, Blackburn and Liverpool. The one night we had guys in a pub doing the 'Scotland get battered' song to try and spark a reaction it was a group from Kent.

Definitely think the w**k/good guy border sits somewhere around Birmingham.

I think we must be pretty unique in the UK in having most of our media coming from a different FIFA/UEFA member nation. Imagine if the Austrians or Portuguese had their coverage via Germany or Spain.

This can be exasperated by the fact that some of our southern neighbours have difficulty in differentiating between Britain/UK and England. Southgate himself has previously referred to the island of England! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have lived in England and have many great friends there who are just as passionate about their football as us Scots. The day after the opening game in Munich I was having a bit of banter with some English guys in a bar and ended up on an all day session with them. They knew we want them to lose and joked back that we are just like our food, battered all the time. 

Should worst case scenario happen on Sunday I will be thinking of those guys and the joy they will be feeling. I will also be thinking of the Villa fan I worked with in the 90s who contacted me as I was leaving Hampden after our 2-0 win over Spain offering congratulations.  I am working this Sunday with the autistic gent who I look after. He is a massive football fan and will be cheering his country on, so a win would make my shift a bit easier.

Having said that I will be avoiding as much of the build up as possible for reasons stated previously. 

In the summer of 1966 I was 13 years old.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted England to win the World Cup before it kicked off.

They were the British representatives and I was British, so why not? 

I even paid 1 shilling and 6 pence of my not so hard-earned pocket money for a World Cup Willie Rollykin,

(which was a wee plastic figure with a ball bearing in the base.)  Now £45 online, I no longer have it. 😪

Then I started watching the limited tv coverage, compared with today, and saw the English waving the 'Union Jack'

and chanting "England".

Now, I could have taken the view that they also wanted the British team to win and were acting in an  inclusive manner but

funnily enough that was not the impression I got.   I did form the impression that they believed they were waving the English flag.

I stopped 'supporting' them at that point, (though I now have English friends and extended family and like to see them happy.)

At least they now wave the correct flag but many of them still lie about being 'not allowed to',  which of course is just greetin' faced, right wing pish.

'Mon the Team that has won every match, bar one,  since the start of the tournament . 🇪🇸  

17 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

I sincerely hope your autistic punter is inconsolable and that your shift is the most exquisite agony. 

I was on shift when the Lionesses lost to Spain last year, so I am seeing that as an omen! 🤞