CarMatKings South Region Challenge Cup 2024.

22 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Obviously, I wasn't there today, did NS players think game was over at 2-0, did

I wouldn't say so, but i think they knew they were the better team. 

On another day I think we'd win that comfortably, but at 2.2 Edinburgh hit the bar and probably should have had a penalty, albeit the referee did have one of those days where he didn't get a lot right. 

On 17/08/2024 at 17:05, An Absolute Imposter said:

Result are finally in.

Star 1-2 Blackburn United

Lochar 3-4 East Stirlingshire

KRR 2-0 Mids

Caley Locos 2-2 Lochmaben 

Caley won 5-4 pens after extra time.

Creetown 2-1 Tynecastle

Edinburgh Comm 2-3 Newton

Quick notes

Go Wigtownshire.

Lochar were 2 up in 2nd half conceded 4 quick goals.

Star and Mids disappointed but no shame.

Lochmaben is a story all in itself, played against 10 for majority of game then 9 in second half 1-1 at 90. 2-1 up in first half of e.t. then lost 2 to red cards and conceded in 120th minute. Caley won pen shoot out.

2/6 better than expected. But a day of missed opportunity for south clubs.

Caley had a player sent off as last man after 7 mins. Definite sending off so no complaints but referee was a nightmare, all about him. He decisions against both teams was shocking, not even a dirty game, Lochmaben looked  a very young team.  Yeah the injury time equalizer was a killer. All penalties scored until the last Maben taker and then that was it, game over.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Caley had a player sent off as last man after 7 mins. Definite sending off so no complaints but referee was a nightmare, all about him. He decisions against both teams was shocking, not even a dirty game, Lochmaben looked  a very young team.  Yeah the injury time equalizer was a killer. All penalties scored until the last Maben taker and then that was it, game over.

It's the norm down here at some of the clubs. When the youth team players become overage they are snapped up straight away. 

If you think Maben look young, some of W&B boys turn up in pushchairs.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

• 4 weeks later...

Heading down to sunny Sanquhar on Saturday for Broxburn’s clash with Nithsdale Wanderers. Planning to make a bit of a day of it with a pre-match trip to Crawick Multiverse, but wanting to know from the locals... anywhere decent for lunch that's near the ground? Or are there decent selection of food options at the ground?

Cheers in advance!

This weekend sees 7 of our clubs in action in round 2.

Creetown travel to the Oriam to face EOS Div2 Edinburgh College. The college have acquired themselves well since joining in the inaugural X season after the lockdowns and currently occupy 4th place. A game the Ferry can win.

Newton S. travel along the 75 to Raydale once more to pit themselves against the 2008 of Gretna. A much different opposition from the team the Creesiders bested in last seasons Counties Cup, a good test for the Wigtownshire boys.

Vale host Dalkeith from EOS Div 2 one place above the College. Vale have a poor record against teams outwith Gallovidia, would be good if they could reverse that stat.

The Wanderers from Nithsdale entertain the LL play-off winners and conquerors of Star; Broxburn Athletic. NS faced East Kilbride last season so not getting easy draws in the SRCC. Keep the score respectable.

Uppers host St.Andrews from the EOS Premier. Currently in 15th spot with only Edin Uni below its been a tough first season for the Fifers. Can Uppers make it a contest.

Saints travel to New Western Park in sunny Renfrew. The Frew have started impressively in WOS Div 1, 3rd place behind Arthurlie and Rutherglen in what us alway a strong league. Long journey home for Saints after what could be a harrowing defeat.

Finally our much maligned W&B meet the famous Meadow XI from Irvine who are going through a slight decline sitting in the relegation zone of WOS Div 1. Every game is a toughie for the Wigtownshire youngsters.

Can easily see 0/7 come Sat evening. Hoping for something positive from Creetown and Vale,  can NS give Gretna a scare and have Uppers got it in them to provide a major shock.

The other 3 have almost no chance I am sorry to say.

2 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Heading down to sunny Sanquhar on Saturday for Broxburn’s clash with Nithsdale Wanderers. Planning to make a bit of a day of it with a pre-match trip to Crawick Multiverse, but wanting to know from the locals... anywhere decent for lunch that's near the ground? Or are there decent selection of food options at the ground?

Cheers in advance!

Not aware of any Wanderers folk on here.

Lorimer Park is an open ground surrounded by a running track. There is a social club at the top corner of the ground.

Sanquhar isn't a town I know being 60 odd mile away from it. Only driven through it heading to Kilmarnock and when my eldest went there for Highland Dancing Competions. 🤷

3 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Cheers in advance!

Nithsdale Hotel will likely have food on and the ground is easily walkable from there

23 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Probably last post in SRCC for this season.

Full-Times 

Vale 0-3 Dalkeith 

Nithsdale 2-10 Broxburn

Frew 8-0 Saints

Uppers 1-2 St.Andrews aet

W&B 0-10 Medda XI

Latest scores in 1500 kick offs

Gretna 4-1 Newton S.

Edin College 1-0 Creetown

Gretna ended 4-1, Creetown downed 4-1 by Edin College I understand.

Another disappointing day for us SOS enthusiasts.

No surprises for W&B, Saints, ir Nithsdale. Hoping for better scorelines but not to be.

Another scoreline from Vale that dissapoints, Vale always impress when I watch them against South opposition but results against teams outwith are generally poor.

Uppers put up a great show against East Prem opposition going in front in extra time before losing out.

Creesiders no real surprise at an ever improving Gretna.

Was hoping Ferry would put up a good show at the College; but another disappointing score.

I was at Threave Rovers today against West Prem opposition. Dominated from minute one showing we do have the talent in good old Gallovidia.

Is there an inferiority complex ingrained into the psyche of our teams when up against teams from other associations.

I see enough of our clubs to suggest that the top half should be doing better in some of these games.

At 1-1, Nithsdale Wanderers hit the post! If that had gone in and they had a lead to dig in and defend, it might have been a tougher afternoon for Broxburn. It stayed out and instead Broxburn kicked on could have had more than the 10 scored by the end.

Nithsdale, when they had a bit of time could knock it around a little bit going forward and actually got a few good shots away. But it was lost at the other end... keeper made a few good saves and the back 4 defended as well as they could, but Broxburn players were bigger, fitter, quicker and had just that bit more quality that you could always see goals coming.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Gretna ended 4-1, Creetown downed 4-1 by Edin College I understand.

Another disappointing day for us SOS enthusiasts.

No surprises for W&B, Saints, ir Nithsdale. Hoping for better scorelines but not to be.

Another scoreline from Vale that dissapoints, Vale always impress when I watch them against South opposition but results against teams outwith are generally poor.

Uppers put up a great show against East Prem opposition going in front in extra time before losing out.

Creesiders no real surprise at an ever improving Gretna.

Was hoping Ferry would put up a good show at the College; but another disappointing score.

I was at Threave Rovers today against West Prem opposition. Dominated from minute one showing we do have the talent in good old Gallovidia.

Is there an inferiority complex ingrained into the psyche of our teams when up against teams from other associations.

I see enough of our clubs to suggest that the top half should be doing better in some of these games.

NS short in total 11 players from our squad today , no excuses though the better team on the day won although it would’ve been nice to see what difference maybe 5 or 6 normal starters could’ve made to the contest. As the weeks pass one by one they’ll eventually return then we’ll have a better idea of where we are !

Yet another cracking score from Threave in fairness and I believe Uppers were a touch unfortunate in the end 

4 minutes ago, AML67 said:

NS short in total 11 players from our squad today , no excuses though the better team on the day won although it would’ve been nice to see what difference maybe 5 or 6 normal starters could’ve made to the contest. As the weeks pass one by one they’ll eventually return then we’ll have a better idea of where we are !

Yet another cracking score from Threave in fairness and I believe Uppers were a touch unfortunate in the end 

I've seen Gretna this season and they are a completely different proposition from last season, and like you say NS are struggling to get consistency with a starting 11.

It's Vale that continually seem to fail in these comps; other than Luncarty 2 seasons back I can't think of a good scoreline or performance when I've seen them. Yet in the SOSFL they play attractive football.

Was hoping Creetown would make a game of it, I'm fully aware how the College are an improving team.

Uppers, like Maben are an improving squad which us encouraging.

Can't expect Nithsdale to compete for 90 mins against Broxburn who are in a good place.

W&B we are all fully aware of where they are at as a team and can only encourage them to keep at if.

Saints are another story. I haven't seen them since August and felt they were going to be competitive this season. But they seem on a continaul downward spiral, and some of the scorelines have been jaw dropping.

If you were witnessing the 2 teams at Meadow for the first time, I would say without doubt that Threave were the tier 6 club. They are well coached, disciplined, comfortable with the ball. They are a really enjoyable watch, and in young 'Hightae Harry' have one of the standout talents in non league. If they get promotion this season they can keep moving upward in the West.