Scottish Cup Draws

12 hours ago, ATFC said:

have they ever been further north than Brechin City for these early-round games? they seem to neglect the Highland League sides quite badly for these matches. 

No, they've only been north of the Tay twice, once to Dundee and once to Brechin. I think their furthest-flung game in the south is probably Berwick.

I wonder if they have a rule about having to provide overnight accommodation beyond a certain distance or journey time for an evening match, which would increase costs, or for Friday games it's about needing the staff for the Saturday afternoon. Whatever, it's not great that they haven't been to a Highland League ground yet.

On 30/09/2024 at 19:29, An Absolute Imposter said:

cheers I knew your good self would know. I'm not a local only living here since 2018. 

I would say Threave are probably at their strongest in many a year.

And we are probably at our worst..........🥴

17 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

And we are probably at our worst..........🥴

It's a very intriguing match up, Threave as a club are in a great place and are looking upwards. Stranraer, obviously want to avoid a repeat of last seasons climax.

Both clubs are fully focused on their respective leagues, and the game has the potential to be an enjoyable and special occasion for football in our wee often ignored Galloway.

23 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

All these folk going on about it no being a derby. My nearest shop is 8 miles away, I travel 20 miles for fuel, the hospital is over 30 miles. My local cinema is in Annan 50 miles away. I go to Glasgow for a day out, it's 122 miles away.

50 miles is next door down here.

You central belters have no idea.

I've been to Dumfries and Galloway a lot. The distances involved was my point. And Stranraer-Threave isn't as much of a derby as say Threave/Dalbeattie or Threave/St Cuthbert's or even Newton Stewart/W&B and Lochar/Abbey Vale. Lochmaben/Mids is more like it for a true derby.

3 hours ago, rockson said:

I've been to Dumfries and Galloway a lot. The distances involved was my point. And Stranraer-Threave isn't as much of a derby as say Threave/Dalbeattie or Threave/St Cuthbert's or even Newton Stewart/W&B and Lochar/Abbey Vale. Lochmaben/Mids is more like it for a true derby.

Derby is maybe the wrong word but 50 miles only seems like a long way as Scotland is such a small country. These two clubs are both south of the central belt so it's a local(ish) match up. With the league positions as they are, the BBC should be right in about it.

9 hours ago, rockson said:

6 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Derby is maybe the wrong word but 50 miles only seems like a long way as Scotland is such a small country. These two clubs are both south of the central belt so it's a local(ish) match up. With the league positions as they are, the BBC should be right in about it.

Easier to respond to both.

Rockson, my post was a bit tongue in cheek and a wee dig at the bleeding hearts who moan if a game is not on their doorstep.

Broadwood to Cumnock is 50 miles, and to Darvel is 42.

For comparison; Mid Annandale to Wigtown is 75, Nithsdale to St. Cuthberts is 52. Last season Newton Stewart played in the Southern Counties Final held at Raydale, Gretna, 73 miles with no moans from the NS fans who travelled through in numbers. Remember our transport links are basically shite; no trains, sporadic bus service. I always see some away fans no matter who is playing.

JB hits the nail right on the head; 40 teams in the draw 2 from Galloway. One a Tier 4 team who escaped dropping out the leagues by a bawhair, the other a Tier 9, in the spotlight because of their flit west. What were the odds of them being drawn together and at the wee teams ground. 

Whether I want the cameras there or not; it is the most intriguing and newsworthy tie of the round. 

As I've said 50 miles in the Galloway is nothing. I regularly go to the Galloway Hospital for appointments, 54 miles. We as a family drive up the awful A713 to go to Ayrshire shopping. 

Central Belters are soft and entitled. 😊😊😊

3 hours ago, Big Davy Boy said:

still not sure why threave jumped from south to west but theyre way better than their league position suggests

stranraer should be wary of them

im sure they will be as its money money money

Threave moved west, because they felt it would help them progress as a club and ensure a future for them.

The SOSFL with its small number of clubs and only upward movement to the Lowland League, which is a massive step up from the SOSFL, was viewed as hindering the clubs development.

As someone we all know would say.

Time will tell. (used under licence).

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

4 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Haud oan Para Handy, i'll have you know i earned my sea legs behind the Pond Hotel.

"Come in Number 6"

First sea voyage was the Govan Ferry. I even had a drink aboard the HMS Carrick back in the day.

Pond Hotel! Didn't think the Westend was your bag.

Was only a nipper when Govan Ferry was scuttled, did travel the Renfrew, both versions (sailing and venue).

Carrick, jesus that's a memory I had thought was long lost.

Para Handy never left the Clyde, I my friend more resemble Poldark, being a seasoned seafarer.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Was only a nipper when Govan Ferry was scuttled, did travel the Renfrew, both versions (sailing and venue).

Para Handy never left the Clyde, I my friend more resemble Poldark, being a seasoned seafarer.

You mean the Onedin Line, captain.

2 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

3 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

You mean the Onedin Line, captain.

image.jpeg.bc2d235e42fbd7665e8f53546ed3e2b5.jpeg

On 02/10/2024 at 17:20, An Absolute Imposter said:

Threave moved west, because they felt it would help them progress as a club and ensure a future for them.

The SOSFL with its small number of clubs and only upward movement to the Lowland League, which is a massive step up from the SOSFL, was viewed as hindering the clubs development.

As someone we all know would say.

Time will tell. (used under licence).

I think Threave’s decision has been well justified. They’re progressing well, will find their level soon and the better standard of opposition is clearly making them better - just look at some of their cup results this season. Wouldn’t be surprised if one or two more follow their example.

1 minute ago, clansman said:

BBCScotland have selected @ThreaveRoversFC v @StranraerFC as their televised match for the Second Round of the 2024-25 @scottishgas Men's Scottish Cup.

Kick-off is 7.45pm on Friday, 25 October.

#ScottishCup

Good for them. 

@An Absolute Imposter you'll be boycotting that one presumably.