The Championship Away Days Guide

As it says on the tin really.

This league is very central belt ish. The furthest north is Kirkcaldy and furthest south, Ayr. On paper, it's not the most exciting of seasons for away trips across the board. I know some fans (myself included) will be somewhat familiar with the grounds they'll be visiting - but can we make it any less shite?

Away crowds may be up slightly with the closer proximities of clubs - so with the league season almost underway, give your fellow diddy team supporters some tips on how to make the most of away games.

What do you recommend for visits to your town / club? 

Where is the best place to drink pre / post match?

Where is easiest to find a parking spot?

What's the scran like at your club?

Are your stewards arseholes?

etc. Whatever it may be.

Feel free to add information about your own club or things you like doing when visiting any other club.

13 minutes ago, AUcal said:

What do you recommend for visits to your town / club? 

Burns birthplace museum

Culzean Castle

Ayr Beach 

Anywhere you want. 

the ash carpark on Craigie Road

Never tried it.

Never tried to antagonise them.

Spoiler

At Livingston North station there is The Saltire, which has a separate area for bar only while having tables in another room if you want some lunch. It's about a 30-40 minute walk to the stadium though, and not even any quicker if you get a bus from what I remember.

The Livi Inn is still a good 15-20 minute walk but a bit better than The Saltire in my experience.

There's a Wetherspoons and the Paraffin Lamp in the shopping centre which makes grabbing a McDonalds/Greggs/Subway/other food of choice on the way to the stadium a bit too convenient. There's the obvious downside that you're stepping out the pub and into a shopping centre though. There's also a newly opened Cafebar Nineteen62 but I genuinely couldn't tell you if it's better for a tea and a sandwich or a pint, I don't think they know either.

At the stadium itself there's the Stadium Bar next to the reception at the main stand which tends to be "Home fans only" (probably only ever enforced/cared about if you're acting a c**t), and the Almondvale Suite open to everyone underneath the South Stand.

Spoiler

Can't remember how much it costs to park at the stadium but you're likely waiting for ages to get out.

St Margaret's Academy (what3words: dined.dine.medium) is just across the bridge, free, and a much easier getaway.

The college (what3words: advice.gravy.shirts) used to be good but I think they have barriers up now, someone else might be able to confirm whether or not they actually get used.

There's another smaller car park (what3words: bossy.fuels.areas) which is free but think that fills up pretty quickly.

Spoiler

They tend to do a special pie each week; Doner Kebab pies, South Indian Garlic Doner pies, Steak & Sausage pies, Chilli Chicken Pakora pies, Meatball Marinara pies etc. Have always been magnificent when I've had one.

Spoiler

If you're not actively being an arsehole you'll be fine.

Have seen Rangers and Motherwell fans in particular throw flares which have made the pitch briefly catch fire and the stewards just standing about. So you might even be fine if you are an arsehole.

Edited by LiviLion

6 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Hide contents

At Livingston North station there is The Saltire, which has a separate area for bar only while having tables in another room if you want some lunch. It's about a 30-40 minute walk to the stadium though, and not even any quicker if you get a bus from what I remember.

The Livi Inn is still a good 15-20 minute walk but a bit better than The Saltire in my experience.

There's a Wetherspoons and the Paraffin Lamp in the shopping centre which makes grabbing a McDonalds/Greggs/Subway/other food of choice on the way to the stadium a bit too convenient. There's the obvious downside that you're stepping out the pub and into a shopping centre though. There's also a newly opened Cafebar Nineteen62 but I genuinely couldn't tell you if it's better for a tea and a sandwich or a pint, I don't think they know either.

At the stadium itself there's the Stadium Bar next to the reception at the main stand which tends to be "Home fans only" (probably only ever enforced/cared about if you're acting a c**t), and the Almondvale Suite open to everyone underneath the South Stand.

The Almondvale Suite also serves food, usually 3 or 4 options on the menu.. Macaroni & chips, Chilli with rice or chips, burger & chips, Balmoral Chicken & chips, Steak Pie & chips, kinda thing. 

Hide contents

Can't remember how much it costs to park at the stadium but you're likely waiting for ages to get out.

St Margaret's Academy (what3words: dined.dine.medium) is just across the bridge, free, and a much easier getaway.

The college (what3words: advice.gravy.shirts) used to be good but I think they have barriers up now, someone else might be able to confirm whether or not they actually get used.

There's another smaller car park (what3words: bossy.fuels.areas) which is free but think that fills up pretty quickly.

Hide contents

They tend to do a special pie each week; Doner Kebab pies, South Indian Garlic Doner pies, Steak & Sausage pies, Chilli Chicken Pakora pies, Meatball Marinara pies etc. Have always been magnificent when I've had one.

Hide contents

If you're not actively being an arsehole you'll be fine.

Have seen Rangers and Motherwell fans in particular throw flares which have made the pitch briefly catch fire and the stewards just standing about. So you might even be fine if you are an arsehole.

Aye it's generally just our young team they clamp down on for having flares etc, and huckle them out.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Airdrie - While since I was there, only ground I've been huckled out of due to a b*****d steward, offie near the ground was dodgy but got a tinnie for the 2nd half

Ayr - Fab away day, Smugglers et al down that way and the Bowling Club next to Somerset, one of the best away days in the Championship

Dunfermline - town centre is decent but the Elizabethan is a good haunt for away fans, less then 10 mins walk to the ground, pity, Abbeyview is a spoon benders paradise

Falkirk - Drookit Duck is great, oh shit, they've moved to Grangemouth, dunno why, Brockville was fab.

Morton - Norseman, chippy and bookies next to the ground, sound as 😎

Hamilton - Meh

Livingston - Just fucking no, soulless shitehole, nothing to see here

Partick - Fab away day, Munns Vaults is cracking

Queens Park - pretty sure most of us have been to Hampden so you know the score

Raith - obviously the best away day for all you guys 😂 Seriously tho' Novar Bar, Penny and Dutchess are all  pretty close, just avoid the estuary, nearest pub to the ground, just not the best

edit - put team names in bold and to say obs about the beer 

Edited by keyser_soze

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

just avoid the estuary

We always go there on our trips to Kirkcaldy. Bit of a shithole but never had any bother and the darts/pool table are a bonus!

14 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Raith - obviously the best away day for all you guys 😂 Seriously tho' Novar

Agree completely, the real reason neither of us went up to the top flight.

6 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

It's good to have both Hamilton and Livi back in the division as they are the only two who can rival/beat us in the "shitiest away day" stakes.

Yet you've already shared a league with Falkirk...

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yet you've already shared a league with Falkirk...

While I will literally be first in the queue to dish out any and all pelters to the Galacticos. It's a far better away day than Airdrie.

11 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

While I will literally be first in the queue to dish out any and all pelters to the Galacticos. It's a far better away day than Airdrie.

But far worse than Hamilton.

I'll put them all in order at some point, probably.

On 19/07/2024 at 20:38, keyser_soze said:

Airdrie - While since I was there, only ground I've been huckled out of due to a b*****d steward, offie near the ground was dodgy but got a tinnie for the 2nd half

Ayr - Fab away day, Smugglers et al down that way and the Bowling Club next to Somerset, one of the best away days in the Championship

Dunfermline - town centre is decent but the Elizabethan is a good haunt for away fans, less then 10 mins walk to the ground, pity, Abbeyview is a spoon benders paradise

Falkirk - Drookit Duck is great, oh shit, they've moved to Grangemouth, dunno why, Brockville was fab.

Morton - Norseman, chippy and bookies next to the ground, sound as 😎

Hamilton - Meh

Livingston - Just fucking no, soulless shitehole, nothing to see here

Partick - Fab away day, Munns Vaults is cracking

Queens Park - pretty sure most of us have been to Hampden so you know the score

Raith - obviously the best away day for all you guys 😂 Seriously tho' Novar Bar, Penny and Dutchess are all  pretty close, just avoid the estuary, nearest pub to the ground, just not the best

edit - put team names in bold and to say obs about the beer 

For away fans I’d suggest the Abbotshall Hotel on Milton Road which is across the road from the Novar.  It’s ideal for getting to the away end by going straight up Milton Road and turning left onto Pratt Street. Saves walking along Link Street past the home end. 

On 19/07/2024 at 21:50, Zanetti said:

We always go there on our trips to Kirkcaldy. Bit of a shithole but never had any bother and the darts/pool table are a bonus!

Pretty fair description of the Estuary Zanetti.  I’ve never had any bother in there, just remember to wipe your feet on the way out 😂.

Any fans visiting Dunfermline should avoid the Elizabeathen. It's shite and expensive and is more of a food place now (although the beer garden out front is not bad). City centre has plenty of good pubs so you'd be far better served going there.

I know some away fans used to book into the Auld Toll in Grangemouth in the past. It’s now a Celtic supporters bar called Cesar’s Paradise where the Grangemouth Celtic bus runs from, don’t know how welcome fans would be there now. Probably better heading into Falkirk or I know Laurieston Bowling Club used to welcome bookings of away fans buses.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I know some away fans used to book into the Auld Toll in Grangemouth in the past. It’s now a Celtic supporters bar called Cesar’s Paradise where the Grangemouth Celtic bus runs from, don’t know how welcome fans would be there now. Probably better heading into Falkirk or I know Laurieston Bowling Club used to welcome bookings of away fans buses.

Is The Mill Inn the only real option between town and the ground?

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is The Mill Inn the only real option between town and the ground?

There is Pennies at the Old Ice Rink as well I think if it’s still open, apart from that it’s only the Mill. 

I don't drink at away games as I travel with my son to most games, so I've no insight into that. However I have been to all the grounds in this seasons Championship so this would be my parking suggestions based on previous matches.

Airdrie - Lidl right next to the Stadium, free and easy to get in and out of. Food was decent from what I can remember.

Ayr - Massive Car Park on Cragie Road, near the stadium (5-10 mins walk). Haven't tried the food.

Dunfermline - Loads of parking on Halbeath Road or the various side streets, fairly easy to get out as long as your heading away from the stadium. Food is quality although they did run out of everything at the New Year game last season.

Falkirk - I've tried a few places but the best seems to be the industrial park about 5 mins walk from the stadium (heading towards the Kincardine Bridge) where I parked for the Challenge Cup Final a few years ago. EDIT - I'm told the industrial park isn't an option any more. I've previously parked at Forth Valley College in the past. 5 mins walk from the Stadium

Morton - Easy enough to get to, last time I parked a drove maybe 2-3 minutes past the stadium and there was plenty of street parking here. Couldn't get food last season as it was cash only.

Hamilton - There is a large multi storey cark park right next to the stadium or the retail park about 5 mins walk away. It might have been a one off but the food was an abomination the last time I was there, I would not recommend.

Livingston - Parked at St Margaret's academy for the Cup game last season. 5-10 minutes walk from the stadium and easy to get in and out of.

Partick - Been here loads of times, always park on Murano Street , fairly easy to get in and out of. Food is great.

Queens Park - I've never not been able to park in the main Hampden Car Park for a Rovers game here. From memory food is a bit overprice and not that great

Raith - Loads of street Parking near Stark's Park. Food is elite!!!

Edited by mrpaddyx