The Championship Away Days Guide

11 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Falkirk - I've tried a few places but the best seems to be the industrial park about 5 mins walk from the stadium (heading towards the Kincardine Bridge) where I parked for the Challenge Cup Final a few years ago.

I dont think the industrial estate is an option now as the pavement between the industrial estate and stadium is closed to pedestrians. 

Parking is available at the college or "the bog" area

On 19/07/2024 at 20:38, keyser_soze said:

Dunfermline - town centre is decent but the Elizabethan is a good haunt for away fans, less then 10 mins walk to the ground, pity, Abbeyview is a spoon benders paradise

I can't work out the relevance of the Abbeyview mention?

It's roughly a 40 minute walk south from East End Park, completely out the way of main roads coming into Dunfermline city centre or towards East End. Can't imagine many coming on public transport are going to get off a train or bus in Dunfermline and end up in Abbeyview. If you're driving you'll park near the ground.

2 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I dont think the industrial estate is an option now as the pavement between the industrial estate and stadium is closed to pedestrians. 

Parking is available at the college or "the bog" area

Ah, no problem. I have parked at college before and that was fine.

What do you recommend for visits to your town / club? 
Urm, not sure if many football fans are looking for much other than a pub on away days, but for Ayr can obviously go to Burns Cottage stuff in Alloway, play a round of Golf if down early or staying for the weekend?

Where is the best place to drink pre / post match?

If getting the train, closest station to Somerset is Newton on Ayr, The Wallace bar across the road is tiny but does the trick. Can also go to Hawkhill Bowling club or The Hub if they allow away supporters in. We sometimes head into Ayr town centre and do a pub crawl now and again, plenty of good boozers with juke boxes. The regulars have taken to us. Afterwards there is a wee shop on Tam's brigg to get a bevy for the train, but be warned, their fridges dont work!

Where is easiest to find a parking spot?

Hardly ever drive down, but I mostly try get down early enough to park on McCall's avenue or Walker Road.

What's the scran like at your club?
Home fans used to enjoy stonebaked pizzas last season, chicken pakora in the hub seems to have taken over, think most of our pies are Brownings? May be wrong, but you can't go wrong

Are your stewards arseholes?

They dont do very much at all, the new stand has got them confused

Ardrie - Stadium is miles from the town centre, tend to get in just in time to go straight to the ground and avoid any pubs, been to the one in the ground a few times

Dunfermline - Again, City centre is some walk, enjoy going to Legends in the ground, black and white scarfs help

Falkirk - Wheatsheaf pub in town is awesome, Itzdrk found a great pub, with the distance to the ground so far, we always just jump into a taxi. Walk back afterwards is one of the worse

Morton - Never been into Greenock town centre, always been the Norseman, then a carry out from one of the shops nearby

Hamilton - Dont venture any further than the Academical Vaults across from the train station, £26 entrance fee is seriously making me consider avoiding visiting there this season, its up there with the Dundee clubs.

Livingston - Only ever been there by car or bus, think I went into the spoons in the town centre, doesnt excite me one bit

Partick - I live in Stepps, and plenty Ayr pals live in Glasgow so this is a great day out for us, usually go to Wintergills on GWR and sometimes the Woodside Inn! Would stop of at the old Carnavon bar at Charing Cross when walking back into town.

Queens Park - Rose Reilly, gid pub owned and run by well known Ayr United supporters.

Raith - Penny Farthing or Novar, cant go wrong, usually bump into folk I know from work at the Dockyard

9 hours ago, diege said:

What do you recommend for visits to your town / club? 
Urm, not sure if many football fans are looking for much other than a pub on away days, but for Ayr can obviously go to Burns Cottage stuff in Alloway, play a round of Golf if down early or staying for the weekend?

Where is the best place to drink pre / post match?

If getting the train, closest station to Somerset is Newton on Ayr, The Wallace bar across the road is tiny but does the trick. Can also go to Hawkhill Bowling club or The Hub if they allow away supporters in. We sometimes head into Ayr town centre and do a pub crawl now and again, plenty of good boozers with juke boxes. The regulars have taken to us. Afterwards there is a wee shop on Tam's brigg to get a bevy for the train, but be warned, their fridges dont work!

Thanks for this mate, love pubs with juke boxes. Especially between 11-2 even typically good pubs can be a bit soulless without one! What pubs specifically have one? Cheers!

17 hours ago, diege said:

Partick - I live in Stepps, and plenty Ayr pals live in Glasgow so this is a great day out for us, usually go to Wintergills on GWR and sometimes the Woodside Inn! Would stop of at the old Carnavon bar at Charing Cross when walking back into town.

Re-opened again as Camerons. Had a few different licencees since it's refurbishment but still on the go.