Preliminary Round 2

Saturday 31st August.

Not been kind to our 5 representatives.

Creetown v Cumnock

Cupar Hearts v Wigtown&B

Star v Whitehill Welfare

Girvan v Saints

Jeanfield Swifts v Newton S

Cumnock (WOS Prem); have had some decent revenue injected this season and have invested heavily on new players.

Cupar (Amateur Cup); beat Vale easily last season, retained Scottish Amateur, undefeated in League campaign, etc, etc.

Whitehill Welfare (EOS 1st); old foes from LL, won at Creetown last year.

Girvan (WOS 3rd); least difficult of opponents but Saints pre-season has not been inspiring.

Jeanfield (EOS Prem); one of the favourites for EOS title this season.

It is what it is.

Creetown or Star it is then.

Probs Creetown to see if Cumnock are the real deal or another false dawn.

6 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Preliminary Round 2

Saturday 31st August.

Not been kind to our 5 representatives.

Creetown v Cumnock

Cupar Hearts v Wigtown&B

Star v Whitehill Welfare

Girvan v Saints

Jeanfield Swifts v Newton S

Cumnock (WOS Prem); have had some decent revenue injected this season and have invested heavily on new players.

Cupar (Amateur Cup); beat Vale easily last season, retained Scottish Amateur, undefeated in League campaign, etc, etc.

Whitehill Welfare (EOS 1st); old foes from LL, won at Creetown last year.

Girvan (WOS 3rd); least difficult of opponents but Saints pre-season has not been inspiring.

Jeanfield (EOS Prem); one of the favourites for EOS title this season.

It is what it is.

Creetown or Star it is then.

Probs Creetown to see if Cumnock are the real deal or another false dawn.

Cumnock by at least 4 goals.

• 1 month later...

Wel our annual Scottish Cup Weekender us almost upon us with 5 ties featuring our boys, with 2 taking place in the Galloway. The other 3 involve travelling for our intrepid Gallovidians; Perthshire, South Ayrshire and the Kingdom being the destinations.

Ties as follows:

Star entertainment old friends, Whitehill Welfare, from their LL days. East Ayrshire's, Cumnock have the choice of roads to get to Creetown; will be the 76 then 75 I feel.

Saints have the shortest journey, again meeting up with old SOSFL rivals, Girvan. Newton Stewart have the long journey up to the banks of the Tay to face off against the Jeanfield Swifts of Perth. Wigtown&Bladnoch are the SOSFL opponents this year for the all conquering amateurs; the Hearts of Cupar, no journey South for the Hearts this year.

A wee preview of our Scottish Cup Weekender. 

Star v WW: old friends from LL days. Star have picked up after a nervy start and performed well against WW's EOS Div1 partners Blackburn in SRCC. WW sit 10th in Div1 with a 1-2-2, record. WW will be favourites but no reason why Star can't make a game of it.

Creetown v Cumnock: Cumnock from West Prem have started OK with a 2-1-3 to sit 9th, but are not one of the leagues top sides and are beatable. Question is can the Caravan park boys raise their game enough to provide another cup shock.

Cupar Hearts v W&B; the country's top amateur side will be expecting another comfortable victory against south opposition. Can W&B keep the scoreline down.

Girvan v Saints: the least difficult tie of the round for our boys, a Girvan sit 13th in Div3 with a 2-1-4 record with 3 heavy defeats to Greenick, Kilsyth and Threave at Hamilton Park so are not formidable. Can Saints raise themselves to make it a contest or will they struggle as in most games so far.

Lastly Jeanfield v NS: the Creesiders have the plum draw with Jeanfield in 4th of the East Prem, 3-2-0 for the season. One of the favourites to win the East title and really should he too strong for NS. NS have shown they can compete and will need all players to be on point to make it a contest.

Predictions; W&B with a heavy demoralising defeat in Fife. Saints to succumb meakly to Girvan. Creetown will scare Cumnock and may even lead at some point, but will fall short of victory. NS also will put up a good show but Swifts will prove too strong and win comfortably in the end. Star I feel are our best hope and honestly feel this one is too close to call with any certainty. If Star do prevail it will be tight, if WW come through my feeling is will be by a couple of goals.

It will of course be tough for the south clubs but we live in hope of some positive outcomes.

3 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

A wee preview of our Scottish Cup Weekender. 

Star v WW: old friends from LL days. Star have picked up after a nervy start and performed well against WW's EOS Div1 partners Blackburn in SRCC. WW sit 10th in Div1 with a 1-2-2, record. WW will be favourites but no reason why Star can't make a game of it. Star I feel are our best hope and honestly feel this one is too close to call with any certainty. If Star do prevail it will be tight, if WW come through my feeling is will be by a couple of goals.

It will of course be tough for the south clubs but we live in hope of some positive outcomes.

Don't get why there's quotes of "proper" Scottish and "big" Scottish. It is THEE Scottish cup. Nothing comes even close to it. 

Back onto the subject and i can't separate them. ww certainly not favourites.  

Should be decent game. 

Edited by newcastle broon

59 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Don't get why there's quotes of "proper" Scottish and "big" Scottish. It is THEE Scottish cup. Nothing comes even close to it. 

Back onto the subject and i can't separate them. ww certainly not favourites.  

Should be decent game. 

Being from Glasgow one is required to distinguish between the Junior and the SFA varieties. 😁😁

I thought WW started the season OK and was surprised when I checked lge table. Star had a shaky start but have found some consistency in last few weeks.

I will always put a non south team as slight favourites, with exception of Newton Stewart at Edin Comm. couple of weeks back. Star performed well against Blackburn but were always just second best in game. If Star get in front will be interesting.

Won't be there I'm afraid, going to Creetown-Cumnock match, as much to fill up on cheap fuel as to see the game. 😆😆😆

15 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Being from Glasgow one is required to distinguish between the Junior and the SFA varieties. 😁😁

I thought WW started the season OK and was surprised when I checked lge table. Star had a shaky start but have found some consistency in last few weeks.

I will always put a non south team as slight favourites, with exception of Newton Stewart at Edin Comm. couple of weeks back. Star performed well against Blackburn but were always just second best in game. If Star get in front will be interesting.

Won't be there I'm afraid, going to Creetown-Cumnock match, as much to fill up on cheap fuel as to see the game. 😆😆😆

Whitehill drew 3 3 with Blackburn a few weeks ago after being 3 1 up at half time.

Draw a line through that and there's not a lot between them. 

As expected 0/5 clubs through to Round 1, but some encouraging results.

Cupar Hearts 4-0 W&B; was 0-0 at HTand no hammering for the youngsters.

Girvan 9-0 Saints; wtf Girvan ain't that good so Saints must have been awful.

Star 1-2 WW; Star just drop short again.

Jeanfield 3-0 NS; not unexpected but not as bad as could have been.

Creetown 1-3 Cumnock; for me referee decided outcome.

9 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Which of the red cards did you take issue with?

Both; first one was a foul but no studs showing or defender out if control. There was no reaction from any Nock players after the foul. Second from my vantage point was 2 players sliding in to win the ball. The first booking for Modric; a word in his ear would have done.

The referee was extremely poor, and I'm not one for criticising officials. (have praised refs in previous posts)

He missed numerous fouls all afternoon and was very inconsistent in his decision making. Didn't appear any communication with the players during the game.

The first sending off was pivotal in giving Nock the momentum at the start of the 2nd half.

The 2nd, just finished off his afternoon in style.

Nock were decent 1st half and should have scored. Poor 2nd half performance. 

Ferry harried and hassled and even after going down to 10 kept their shape and discipline.

4 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

They were very good on the ball 1st half, we stood off and looked apprehensive. To be honest, it could have been 5 or 6 at half time.

Second half, we were on par with them and played some good 1 touch football, created a good few chances and were unlucky we didn't scored 2 or 3.

Cracking setup at Jeanfields, great bunch of people and some great hospitality provided. 

On 31/08/2024 at 18:05, An Absolute Imposter said:

As expected 0/5 clubs through to Round 1, but some encouraging results.

Cupar Hearts 4-0 W&B; was 0-0 at HTand no hammering for the youngsters.

Girvan 9-0 Saints; wtf Girvan ain't that good so Saints must have been awful.

Star 1-2 WW; Star just drop short again.

Creetown 1-3 Cumnock; for me referee decided outcome.

It’s a shame but apart from Saints it’s not a dreadful set of results. I thought Dalbeattie were going to do it so that might be the most disappointing one aside from Saints.

Cumnock aren’t flying atm but are still a very established club in the West so for Creetown to give them such a game amid controversy is a good showing. Jeanfield are flying however and I think Newton Stewart held that to a respectable result. Cupar saw off Abbey Vale apparently much easier than they did W&B this year so not all bad.

2 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

It’s a shame but apart from Saints it’s not a dreadful set of results. I thought Dalbeattie were going to do it so that might be the most disappointing one aside from Saints.

Cumnock aren’t flying atm but are still a very established club in the West so for Creetown to give them such a game amid controversy is a good showing. Jeanfield are flying however and I think Newton Stewart held that to a respectable result. Cupar saw off Abbey Vale apparently much easier than they did W&B this year so not all bad.

From what I've been told Star fell away in 2nd half after a good 1st half.

Nock would have scored eventually in that 2nd half, the pressure was relentless on Ferry from about 22nd minute.

Saints are a club in decline I'm afraid, but the scoreline was a bit jaw-dropping.

NS and W&B; did what we would have wanted in giving a decent account of themselves.

An expert view frae a Hill of Beath fan.

SCOTTISH CUP PRELIMINARY ROUND TIES - Friday August 30th / Saturday August 31st

Benburb v Vale of Leithen (Tier 6 v Tier 8)
Vale have suffered three successive relegations and haven’t made the best of starts in East of Scotland Division Two. Benburb will be strong favourites to win this one despite having failed to win in their first six West Premier games.

Bo'ness Athletic v Kilwinning Rangers (7 v 7)
Bo’ness had a superb Extra Preliminary Round win over West of Scotland League Champions Beith. Second tier West club Kilwinning Rangers will have to be at their very best to avoid defeat in this Friday night tie. Expect big-spending Athletic to progress.

Bonnyton Thistle v Dunbar United (8 v 6)
East Premier side Dunbar have made an inconsistent start to the season but they should still be good enough to win at Kilmarnock-based club Bonnyton Thistle who have won just once so far this season.

Burntisland Shipyard v Dunipace (8 v 6)
Dunipace are shaky on grass and much prefer their own astro pitch. However, they should still be more than capable of winning at Burntisland against a home side who have made a mixed start to the season.

Clydebank v St Andrews United (6 v 6)
St Andrews had a good Cup run last season but they will be up against it away to West of Scotland League leaders Clydebank. The Bankies should progress and will be looking for a good Cup run to generate income to help their promotion bid. They are one of the West of Scotland sides that are desperate for promotion to the Lowland League. 

Coldstream v Camelon (8 v 7)
Camelon may only be one division above Coldstream but they will be odds-on favourites for this tie. It would be a surprise if the visitors didn’t win by several goals. Coldstream are bottom of Division Two and have conceded 15 goals in five gamers.

Creetown v Cumnock (6 v 6)
Creetown from the South of Scotland League defeat East Premier side Tynecastle in another Cup recentlyso Cumnock cannot afford to take them lightly. The Ayrshire club should still be strong enough to progress.

Culter v Sauchie (6 v 6)
North Junior Champions Culter defeated North Caledonian league Champions Invergordon 4-0 in the Extra Preliminary Round. East Premier side Sauchie will need to be very wary of this tie. They don’t always travel well and Culter could spring a surprise here.

Cupar Hearts v Wigtown & Bladnoch (X v 6)
Scottish Amateur Cup winners Cupar are a formidable side and should be too strong for their South of Scotland visitors. Cupar’s ground doesn’t meet Scottish Cup standards so the game will be played at Glenrothes. They are not part of the pyramid so don’t have a “tier”.

Dalbeattie Star v Whitehill Welfare (6 v 7)
Two former Lowland League clubs clash at the Islecroft Stadium. This should be an evenly matched tie with the home side marginal favourites to progress.

Dalkeith Thistle v Blackburn United (8 v 7)
East Second Division Dalkeith host First Division Blackburn United in Midlothian. This will be another close tie with Blackburn slight favourites to win. Not the most appetising tie.

Dundonald Bluebell v Edinburgh University (6 v 6)
Two East Premier League sides meet in Fife. Dundonald had a major rebuild during the Summer but seem o be hitting form. The Students, just relegated from the Lowland League, will probably exit at the first hurdle.

Easthouses Lily MW v Newtongrange Star (8 v 7)
A real local derby between two clubs who play less than a mile apart in Midlothian. Newtongrange will be strong favourites to reach the First Round.

Fort William v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (6 v 6)
Fort lost 10-1 at this stage last season. Hill of Beath have been scoring for fun in recent weeks so expect a comfortable away win.

Girvan v St Cuthbert Wanderers (9 v 6)
These two clubs used to clash in the South of Scotland League before Girvan moved to the West Juniors around 20 years ago. Saints have won just once in 7 league games so far this season. Girvan have won just two of seven in the West of Scotland League Division 3 but will still be favourites to go through.

Glenafton Athletic v Threave Rovers (6 v 9)
Threave moved from the South to the West a couple of years ago. They have made a good start in Division 3 this season but Premier Division Glenafton should still be far too strong for them.

Golspie Sutherland v Carluke Rovers (6 v 10)
Carluke Rovers are in Division 4 of the West of Scotland League. This game presents Golspie with a realistic opportunity for progress. However, the West is nmuch stronger and Carluke will still be slight favourites.

Haddington Athletic v Auchinleck Talbot (6 v 6)
Ayrshire giants Talbot have an impressive Cup pedigree. They are off to a good start in the West Premier and should be too good for East premier side Haddington.

Jeanfield Swifts v Newton Stewart (6 v 6)
Perth-based Jeanfield are one of the favourites to win the East of Scotland Premier. Newton Stewart have won three out of seven so far in the South of Scotland. Should be a comfortable home win.

Lochee United v Hawick Royal Albert (6 v 9)
Hawick were a Lowland League side not too many years ago but are now in the East Third Division. They have got off to a decent start but Midlands League side Lochee United will surely still be far too good for them.

Penicuik Athletic v Musselburgh Athletic (6 v 6)
An all East Premier clash where Musselburgh Athletic will be the slight favourites to progress.

Pollok v Darvel (6 v 6)
Darvel’s Cup win over Aberdeen in 2022/3 is a distant memory now. They no longer enjoy massive financial backing and have started this season with five straight league defeats. Pollok will be favourites to go through.

Preston Athletic v Irvine Meadow XI (7 v 7)
Meadow used to be giants of the Junior game but they have been in decline for a few years now. They are currently struggling near the foot of West Division One. However, Preston parted company with their management team last week following a 5-0 home defeat by Arniston Rangers. Irvine will be marginal favourites.

Rutherglen Glencairn v Hutchison Vale (7 v 6)
Hutchie Vale are always a decent side and this will be a very tight match. The Edinburgh side might struggle on this trip to Rutherglen, who have made a great start to the season and top the West First Division.

Tayport v Dundee North End (6 v 6)
North End won the Midlands League and meet another side from that division in Tayport. He clubs clashed last Saturday in a League game with North End winning 3-1. A similar outcome is likely.

Tynecastle v Glasgow University (6 v 9)
Friday night game at Meggetland where the Edinburgh side should be too strong for the Students.